mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Help for a Fat Noob

Like the title says i am fat and a noob. I am starting my weight loss journey and need a new bike. I used to live in Alaska and ride trails and hit small jumps but then I moved and never got back into biking. I have never had a real nice bike of any sort mostly walmart and sports authority quality bikes. I want to buy a nice bike for around $1000, $1500 max. I could build it if need be I am pretty crafty. I want a good frame to start at least then I would be willing to upgrade the components as time goes on. Just need advice where to start. I am 6'3" and around 300 lbs. I am in what I consider decent shape for that size as I am working out constantly. I just started a Keto diet and want to supplement it with some more cardio type stuff, I hate to run, but I love to bike. So I am looking for some advice. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    i've been researching this quite a bit over the past week or so, and heres what knowledge i've gathered:

The Trek Mamba and Cobia are pretty good fits for guys like you and i if you want to buy from a bike shop. Other brands as well, but Trek has been getting tons of recommendations.

if you are willing to build the bike yourself, Airborne Guardians and Goblins are two great bikes. from what i've seen they have the best components in the price range but the trade off is of course that you have to partially assemble the bike by yourself and you dont have a shop that could back you up with service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I kind of wanted full suspension. To have the ability later on down the road. Any suggestions there. I figured I would just lock up the suspension until I am ready for trails.

mtbr member
    You have to up the price point for a decent full suspension bike. Around $2000 and you can get a real strong single pivot bike like a Santa Cruz Heckler.

If you want a hard tail I'd look at some of the newer trail bike hardtails like the Trek Stache or Kona Honzo. They are slacker which means they're going to be more stable going down hill which I've always found to be a greater worry than climbing.

What you really need to do is check out the bike shops in your area and see which brands are available. Then try everything possible to see what feels good and what doesn't.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm 6'4" and currently 300#, I bought a Giant XTC in XL last year was $1400 new and absolutely zero problems out of it, needs to go in for a tune up currently but that's just normal cable stretch and wheels being slightly out of true.