mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Help Deciding Between 2 Bikes

Looking at the '06 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0 and the '06 Rocky Mountain ETSX-10. Have ridden both and like them both (each has it own advantages).

For a 225 lb PA-trail rider, do you think either would have durability issues? I ride all types of trails, but most around here in PA are very rocky and technical. Thanks!

Double-metric mtb man
    Nice decision to have to make. Both are nice bikes...the XLT's are generally great bang for the buck...in fact I was looking at one when I was getting a new bike this spring. For me, I found that I just didn't like the cockpit feel (but that's just me).

Rockies are known for being nice...expensive, but nice. I almost picked one up a few years back but the sticker shock was something else.

Myself, now that the swingarm issue has been dealt with, I'd say the XLT is probably a wee bit beefier but I don't think it is quite as good in the agility / technical ability department. I guess it is a compromise between the two design philosophies. That being said, at 225lbs, you could likely go for either and get years of good service out of them without issues in durability.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

The Element Of Choice
    i bought the rockymountain element 50 for two reasons. one is my friend has one and he is 6'3 240 and the reviews i read said it is good for climbing and also good for us bigger riders. i am 6'0 215 now but 235 at the time i bought it. all the reviews said very sturdy and strong built. i can say that the bike can take the abuse although im not a hardcore rider but a few 2foot drops here and there and over rocks and everything else. my element gives e confidence when im going down steep hills with the brakes easing so i dont skid. i bought mine on ebay and it was a great purchase that i dont regret. mine is a 19" and i can make some tight downhill and uphill switchbacks. thats my 2cents.
    A man looks into the abyss. Thereís nothing staring back at him. At that moment, a man finds his character. And thatís what keeps him out of the abyss.