Chewbacca on a Bike!

Help choosing wheelset for my XC hardtail - Clyde

I weight in at 280 geared up and im looking for a new wheelset for my Niner emd 9. I ride mostly XC never leave the ground and the trails are always well groomed. I need the front hub to be convertible and the ability to run tubeless. My limit is $500.00.

I'm considering two wheelsets at this point and I am looking for input

Handspun Hope Pro 2 Evo with Notubes Flows $500.00

American Classic Terrain 29er $423.00

Also if anyone has another wheelset I should be considering.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bike Build Wheelset

Lot of wheel talk in the above thread.

A lot of recommendations for Stans Flow Ex on Hope Hubs for your desired budget.

turtles make me hot
    It's tough to beat Hopes and Flows for the money.
    Just make sure they use 2/0, 1.8, 2/0 DT or Wheelsmith spokes and brass nipples. Big guys don't let other big guys get alloy nipples.
    I like turtles

Chewbacca on a Bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    It's tough to beat Hopes and Flows for the money.
    Just make sure they use 2/0, 1.8, 2/0 DT or Wheelsmith spokes and brass nipples. Big guys don't let other big guys get alloy nipples.
    Thanks, After some more searching I'm thinking the Hope/Flow (DT Comp spokes and Brass Nipples) is the way to go.

jct
    mtbr member
    i'm a clyde too riding rigid on kings w/ flows. the hope/flow combo will serve you many many miles with nary a concern.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a set of flows with db DT Swiss spokes with ALLOY nipples. Never had a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verbeers View Post
    Thanks, After some more searching I'm thinking the Hope/Flow (DT Comp spokes and Brass Nipples) is the way to go.
    I have a set of Flows with Hope hubs and a set with X9 hubs both from Handspun. They have served me well for the past two years and I weigh 15lbs more then you. I have noticed the older they get the more I have the ocassional loose spoke but other then that they have been flawless...good luck!!!

mtbr member
    I've been running a set of Pro 2's, Flows, DT comps, with brass nips for about 3 or 4 years now with no problems. I was your size when I had them built. It is a great solid set of wheels that wont kill your pocket book.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have a question. I know you're supposed to use brass nipples on wheelbuilds for clydesdale riders, but if someone weighed over 300 lbs, would you reccomend using triple butted spokes? Or if that person was interested in AM riding, I should probably use triple butted anyways, right?

turtles make me hot
    I've weighed as much as 288. When I originally bought my Stumpjumper, it had narrow DT Swiss rims and alloy nipples. First, the nipples were pulling through the rims. I replaced them with brass and then started breaking spokes so I changed all the spokes to straight 2.0 spokes. The wheels felt like crap, so I replaced the rims with Salsa Semis and used double butted spokes and brass nipples. I believe the spokes are 2.0, 1.8, 2.0. The wheels feel great and stay true.
    I'm building my wife wheels right now and using Crests and spokes that are 2.0. 1.7, 1.8. Are these triple butted? I don't really even know the difference.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    been thinking about using the stans arches with the stans hubs.... any of you guys running the stans hubs??? have not seen much about them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aspiringmechanic View Post
    I have a question. I know you're supposed to use brass nipples on wheelbuilds for clydesdale riders, but if someone weighed over 300 lbs, would you reccomend using triple butted spokes? Or if that person was interested in AM riding, I should probably use triple butted anyways, right?
    No. Triple-butted aren't stronger than double butted, they are for saving a few grams over double butted. You want DB or straight gauge spokes.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    been thinking about using the stans arches with the stans hubs.... any of you guys running the stans hubs??? have not seen much about them.
    How much do you weigh? I ask because if you're asking in the Clydes threads, you should probably just go to Flows. I built a set of Arch Exs for a friend and they're nice rims... I just don't know if I'd ride on em.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    where did you find the Hope Pro and Flow wheelset for $500? Browsing the Handspun site I find prices are at least $400 rear and $200 front.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbeers View Post
    I weight in at 280 geared up and im looking for a new wheelset for my Niner emd 9. I ride mostly XC never leave the ground and the trails are always well groomed. I need the front hub to be convertible and the ability to run tubeless. My limit is $500.00.

I'm considering two wheelsets at this point and I am looking for input

Handspun Hope Pro 2 Evo with Notubes Flows $500.00

American Classic Terrain 29er $423.00

Also if anyone has another wheelset I should be considering.

Thanks!
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    $382.11 on Wiggle.com for front and rear Flow EX with Hope Pros 2's with free shipping to the united states.

mtbr member
    I am finding only the Flows with the 3.30 HD hubs 29er wheelsets for about $460 on wiggle.
    wiggle.com | Stans No Tubes ZTR Flow 29er Wheelset | MTB Wheels

if you have a link to other 29er Flow/Hope Pro 2 sets for less, please post it.
    I bet you'd do the same if they was you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raleigh5 View Post
    I am finding only the Flows with the 3.30 HD hubs 29er wheelsets for about $460 on wiggle.
    wiggle.com | Stans No Tubes ZTR Flow 29er Wheelset | MTB Wheels

if you have a link to other 29er Flow/Hope Pro 2 sets for less, please post it.
    My bad that was for 26"

mtbr member
    I'm at 296lbs as of today. I'm on Sun Ringle Charger pro rims w/ loaded hubs. They are super stout. Have not have to re-tension them after 100miles of rocks and roots and my poor line selection.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    For those looking for a (very) heavy duty spoke, Sapim makes a spoke that is 2.3 at the j-bend end, and tapers down to 2.0. It's called the 'Strong'. I built a set of wheels with Flow rims and used these with excellent success. That said, I would still be pretty comfortable recommending standard DT, Wheelsmith, or Sapim double butted (2.0/1.8) for large riders.

I usually go with brass nipples as I have popped/broken a few aluminum nipples, but it may be (a little) better than breaking spokes. If you want more bullet-proof wheels, I would go with brass.

turtles make me hot
    I am an alloy nipple destroyer... and I ride a FS bike. On a HT, it would be curtains for the rear wheel on one particularly rooty trail.
    I ride a good line and float over the bike. It's just unavoidable.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    I'm 275lbs and rocking a set of Stan's Flow Ex w/Stan hubs and haven't had any issues. Now If you weigh anything close to me or more, I would highly recommend the Flows over the Arches.
    2007 FS KHS XC104
    2012 FS Yeti SB95 (Race/XT)
    2013 HT Cannondale Trail 7
    2013 HT Specialized Hardrock Sport (the commuter)