mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Help choosing Fox 34 or 36 or Rockshox Revelation RCT 3 for my new RIP 9

6' 7" 320 Lb Clydesdale building a RIP 9 29" for everyday riding...at 52 I won't be dropping off many cliffs...but want a good, solid fork that will hold up to my abuse on rough fire roads and such.

My LBS suggests RockShox Revelation RCT 3 and I have been riding with it for a week, seems fine...but I seem to be riding it at the far end of its travel. I am thinking I would be better off with Fox Talas 34 and if I am putting a 34 on it why not a 36? My bike is 36 lb with the RCT 3 so weight is not going to be a big issue.

The regular suspension forum is not much help to a 320LB Clyde so looking for your help in choosing the right fork fro the job! Cost not a big issue, would rather have the right fork...If Fox i am assuming the Talas is the way to go but would love your opinion on that as well.

If this has already been covered please send me to the link!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So I'm 6'5" and 330 and I ride a WFO and it has the 34 Talas on it. I've had the bike/fork for over a year now and I love it. The fork has performed and continues to perform really well and surprisingly I don't have to run the max psi to get the performance I want (I do have to run a lot of low speed compression though). I think with the RIP, having the travel adjust from the Talas would be nice, although I almost never use it on my WFO. Also, I have a 36 Float 160 on my 26" bike and I had to have it tuned to get it to really work for my weight, whereas the Talas has been good right out of the box.

You could put a 36 on it, but you'd need to have it shortened because, although I could be wrong, Fox's 36 shortest length is 160 which won't really work with the RIP's geometry. You'd need to talk to Fox about that I think.

I'm curious how your RIP weighs 36lbs? Like what you have on it? My WFO is built pretty rock solid and I weighed it just last week after upgrading my rims and it came in at 34lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the information...I have been playing with the height adjustment on the Revelation not sure I need it or like it even when climbing...for me to fit on the bike at 6'7" they left the entire length of the fork tube. I might like having more shock below the Steerer tube and less rising above it..

I was a bit surprised by the weight too...but i got tired of having to continually fix things on my bike so went a bit overboard on making it bullet proof:

The bike has a Rohloff hub...adds a pound or two.
    Kris Holm 36 spoke unicycle rims not light.
    DT Swiss 440 on the front hub.
    XT brakes with 8" rotors on both front and back
    e thirteen crank 185 mm cranks and bottom bracket..
    LEV Seat post
    Truvativ Hussefelt Riserbar

Not much else on it.....but seems to add up I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help choosing Fox 34 or 36 or Rockshox Revelation RCT 3 for my new RIP 9-rip-9-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    To me "riding it at the far end of its travel" sounds like suspension setting issues more than a chassis problem, or being too heavy for the fork. That sounds to me like you have too little spring pressure, too little compression damping or too much rebound.

If you did want to put a new fork on there, a Fox 34 would probably be stiffer, and steer better, but I doubt it would be by a whole lot. The 29er 34 maxes at 140mm travel, which is, I believe, what your revelation has, so you aren't going to raise the front end that way. If it were me, I'd send what I had to Push before I bought another fork, because the Fox is still designed for an average-weight rider, and will benefit from tweaks same as the RS would.

To my knowledge (and according to the Fox web site) there is no 29er 36, which answers the 'why not 36' question.

mtbr member
    Echo Joules above. Sounds like you need to play with the spring pressure or damping if the fork is packing down. The dual air spring gives a wide range of spring feel adjustments and the RCT3 damper has a few of its own options. Think that the spring controls your bodies motion and the damper controls the spring's motion. Set proper sag, then adjust rebound to where the fork wont pack down and compression to where the fork doesnt dive too much under braking.

I'm 50lbs less than you and normally end up getting pretty close to topping out Rockshox air springs. Not sure whether Fox gives you any higher pressure ratings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=Joules;10268817]If it were me, I'd send what I had to Push before I bought another fork, because the Fox is still designed for an average-weight rider, and will benefit from tweaks same as the RS would.

From my experience of dealing with Push, they won't work on forks for a guy his size. They tuned a Talas for me, which blew out on me my second ride on it because they had me running it WAY over the max psi, (which they fixed at no charge) I contacted them again to see if they'd do a 36 Float for me and they turned me down because I was "too heavy". I'll happily tell you where to go if you want a killer tuned fork if you weight around 300.

And you're right about no 36 29er forks.

Fuego, after seeing your bike and reading what you got on your bike, once I read you had a Rohloff along with the wheelset you have, it all made sense. I was sick of things breaking all the time too so built a really solid build. Get the Fox or maybe check out Xfusion. I've heard they make quality stuff and I think you can have them tune it for you specifically before it ships to you. But yeah, I think you'd be ok with a Talas.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 6'4" and 330 lbs. I have a RIP that I run a Reba XX 120mm with 20mm TA on and it does fine. I run it at about 180 psi which is lower than the max (200 psi). I would try to mess with the adjustments first before ditching the Rev. You should be able to get it set up better. Stupid question maybe, but do you have adequate pressure in both air chambers? Some peeps don't realize that the Rockshox forks have dual air chambers. What pressures are you running?

I also have a FOX 34 Talas 29er 140mm fork on another bike that is quite a bit stiffer than the Reba. I run much lower pressure (around 140 psi but the fork only has a few rides and isn't broken in yet). The Fox doesn't feel as plush as the Reba but again its still not broken in. The Fox 34 would be a great fork if you can't get the Rev running like you like.

mtbr member
    Depending on the year of Rev 140 it'll either be dual air or solo air. For 2013 Rockshox ditched the dual air setup and made everything solo air with a self equalizing negative air chamber. The only people that notice a difference are the people that fine tuned their negative pressure for small bump compliance or to make the fork more linear/progressive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I appreciate the help! Well at least the Fox 36 is out of the picture....The Revelation is the newest versions with only 1 air chamber handling both jobs...I did only have 170 lb in it so will pump it up to 200 and work on the Damper and other adjustments...seems to be a bunch!

I had a deal with the LBS that I would start out with the Revelation and could swap it out if I found that it was not stiff enough so no real expense in moving to the Fox...but I like how supple the Revelation is...and worry I would get a stiffer fork with the Fox but loose out on the feel....

Guess I am just too heavy for the shock and virtually any fork for that matter....I contacted Push earlier and they told me that the shock max pressure is 300 psi and that I would be right on the edge of its capacity on the RIP 9...so looks like i have to burn 50 pounds and then get everything dialed in...

I would appreciate the name of the company that is willing to work on suspension at the far ends of the spectrum!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Well it's one air valve but there's an internal valve to pressurize the negative chamber - you'll see it in the piston the first time you rip the air spring apart for service. Pretty cool system but loses the adjustability.

If you've got your shocks maxed out, you'll have to run the rebound more open and add more compression damping in order to increase the return speed on the fork. Suspension just isnt designed for big guys. Rigid bikes are a ton of fun though, especially on fire roads.

Get to riding! Have some fun, exercise, and eat right and those 50lbs will come right off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuegogrande View Post
    Guess I am just too heavy for the shock and virtually any fork for that matter....I contacted Push earlier and they told me that the shock max pressure is 300 psi and that I would be right on the edge of its capacity on the RIP 9...so looks like i have to burn 50 pounds and then get everything dialed in...
    I run about 280-290 psi in the shock on my RIP. Rides nice.

Just an FYI, I've broken two RIP frames so far so keep an eye out for cracking just below the upper shock mount on the seat tube. Niner has been great with warranty replacements though. Hopefully you don't have that problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuegogrande View Post
    I would appreciate the name of the company that is willing to work on suspension at the far ends of the spectrum!

Thanks again!
    Talk to Kevin at Suspension Experts. They did wonders on my 36 Float after Push turned me down. I'll put the link below, but the one thing he mentioned to me when I asked him about tuning my Talas is that because of the different air chambers in the Talas to allow it to change travel settings, there's less they can do for it compared to the Float. I've heard that Rockshox forks are plusher than Fox's but I've never ran one. As for you being too large for any shock, that's all dependent on the leverage ratio of the frame you're riding. The RIP is a good setup for a heavy rider and I've had good luck with using a piggyback shock that has bottom out control, so on my WFO I have a Fox DHX air 5.0 and it's b been cool.

Suspension Experts Home Page