mtbr member

... and if we just ... Help a brutha out

howdy all.

i am looking for info from clyde riders in the know on double squishies.

i am 5'10" 250lbs

i am interested in

intense 5.5
    blur lt
    yeti 575
    and the titus moto lite maybe a racer x

any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated also

my current ride is a 93 bontrager race. yup a skinny aced steel rig that is by far the best bike i have ever owned (and i have had plenty of other hard tails). it does flex a ton when i get out of the saddle well ok in the saddle also but it is still a fantastic bike. i just need(ok want) some suspension

i live and ride on the savanahs of north texas but manage to gt a week of riding in colorado every year. most riding is done in tight turning singletrack with relativley smooth trails. although more and more of the trails being built seem to be more aggressive and fun.

I don't drop or huck anything as I am getting older and healing takes longer. just pretty much sit and mash.

thanks in advanced
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

Making fat cool since '71

Well,

Quote Originally Posted by phatphil
    howdy all.

i am looking for info from clyde riders in the know on double squishies.

i am 5'10" 250lbs

i am interested in

intense 5.5
    blur lt
    yeti 575
    and the titus moto lite maybe a racer x

any other suggestions would be helpful and appreciated also

my current ride is a 93 bontrager race. yup a skinny aced steel rig that is by far the best bike i have ever owned (and i have had plenty of other hard tails). it does flex a ton when i get out of the saddle well ok in the saddle also but it is still a fantastic bike. i just need(ok want) some suspension

i live and ride on the savanahs of north texas but manage to gt a week of riding in colorado every year. most riding is done in tight turning singletrack with relativley smooth trails. although more and more of the trails being built seem to be more aggressive and fun.

I don't drop or huck anything as I am getting older and healing takes longer. just pretty much sit and mash.

thanks in advanced
    I've recently ridden the Intense and Santa Cruz (6' 3" @ 255). I prefer the Intense. I was a Santa Cruz owner for 7+ years and had a lot of success with the Hecklers although as a company they have (for the last couple of years) had difficulty delivering on their word/plans. Their customer service is also lagging behind many of the smaller builders they used to claim they were like. They have moved a ton of their manufacturing out the country and the difference between my first and last Heckler quality was sadly noticeable. That being said, they are much preferable to many other brands.

The ride of the LT and 5.5 were very similar during the very limited amount of riding I was able to do on both. I tried to ride the Moto, but was unable, but a buddy of similar size (better rider though) likes them. After riding those two mentioned and a couple of others I decided to skip them and get a Turner 5 Pack (6 Pack front triangle/5 Spot rear). The Intense/Titus/SC are all in similar price ranges to the Turner. You may give them a look, but if not I really like the Intense. Kona has some good offerings as well.

Good luck, you gotta love new bike shopping!

My new (less than two months) rig is attached (it's much dirtier now...):

Kraig...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    You might be too heavy for a moto-lite

When I was researching that and the super moto last summer, literature/shop said max weight was 230ish....

I'm 6'6", 252 (260+ in gear) and love love love the Super Moto.....sturdy as all get out and an absolute STUD of a bike.

Didn't try the others.

Live in Austin and Austin is tough on bikes. Most people end up getting Titus.

Have a buddy who just got the 575...he likes it. It is 5 lbs lighter, but being my size I wouldn't trust something that light. It sure was fast, but I felt like I was going to break it at any moment....not something you want to worry about on the trail......

Also search this forum.
    I would say every page someone is asking about bike, frames, etc for Clydes....wheels too.

Happy searching and shopping!

Can you rent any of those bikes in your area?

Just my $.05

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Take a look at the Kona offerings. They are made very stout. I'm currently riding a Kona Hoss HT and a Cannondale Prophet. I'm having ghost shifting and swingarm problems with the Prophet so I wouldn't recommend it to you. Sorry I can't offer any info. on the bikes you mentioned. You may want to research the bikes you mentioned on the manufactory's forums. Also if possible, test ride/demo a few bikes before you buy one. Good luck and happy hunting.

Don't skid
    260 here and have been riding a Kona Coiler frame for the last 2 years. I bought an 04 Coiler and swapped about every part on it to make it rock solid. I love the bike, it can take anything a trail can throw at it. Altough it is a bit on the heavy side at 38lbs. Might be a bit much for your area. Kona also make the 5" travel Dawg. Their bikes aren't know for lightweigth but they ae know to be strong frames. Worth a look.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

mtbr member
    thanks guys. i emailed all but titus so far on the question and got a very nice explanation from santa cruz, christo at intense also pointed me toward the 5.5 and all i got from yeti was the 575 has a 235lb rider weight limit.(which really bums me out) i was recently in santa fe and steven @ rob and charlies let me play with a 575 around the lot for close to an hour. the ride seems really great especially with the pro pedal. i did own a kona dawg a few years ago and really liked it. it was a bit heavy and attornies fees from a divorce had me selling off all of my toys. i gotta believe the konas(or similar) with a pro pedal shock would be a nice choice also.
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

mtbr member
    At the pricepoints you're looking at you should also consider the Ventanas (X5, Salty, El Cap) and Turners (RFX/66) too.

I despise funky suspension designs (VPP, 575 w/ CF flexy bits). You can order HD stays on the Ventanas - plenty of 300#+ dudes out there.

I'm 6'3", 260# w/ gear and have owned both an RFX and now El Cap. Both are glorious bikes.

I thought the Motos were clyde-worthy. Shoot, there are mega clydes riding RacerXs so I don't see what the issue is.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.