Thread: Help

BDB

Help

I've been having a slight issue with a couple things in the last few years. No matter what seat I use I still get some numbness in my "area" and even in my feet. Also, my hands sometimes go numb. I currently have a WTB Rocket V Race seat, before this one was a WTB Speed V Race. I ride a 2001 Trek 6700 hardtail beefed up to handle my 6'2 230lbs self. I've tried multiple seatpost adjustments, handlebar/stem size adjustments and nothing really seems to help. I usually don't have a problem the first 5-6 miles but after that it's a struggle. Any input would really help! Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    For saddles I'm not sure what I'd say. I've personally had good luck with the WTB Speed V Comp and I have physical build similar to yours. But I think saddles tend to be a personal choice and it sounds like you have tried different seat positions.

For your hands ride with a good set of gloves and a comfortable set of grips. My bike has a set of WTB Weirwolf grips that are comfy but a bit small feeling in my large hands. I don't usually get numbness while mountain biking but often get it road riding. Maybe try a set of bar ends for some different hand positions.

With your feet get a comfortable set of shoes and make sure they are positioned correctly over the pedal. I believe you are supposed to be around the ball of your foot, but I'm not certain. If you are using toe clips (cages) those always made my feet numb.

I guess in my experience all of these areas get a bit numb the first few rides each season and then I get adjusted to it.

BDB
    Thanks for reply. As for pedals/shoes, I still run flats mainly because wearing a size 15 it makes my choices of shoes a little harder. I also ride my bike to work everyday with steel-toe boots and in my uniform on so it makes everything easier.

I was wondering if maybe my bar shape could affect my hand numbess? I use a Easton EA30 bar with a Race Face stem. It seems to me that the bar has too much bend aft, putting my hands in an uncomfortable position. I thought of even going back to a flat bar but the width is too skinny for my size.

I've even changed stems a few times, I run a 90 mm stem now but before that I had a 100mm stem which felt too long.

I guess I need help..................

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbndan
    Thanks for reply. As for pedals/shoes, I still run flats mainly because wearing a size 15 it makes my choices of shoes a little harder. I also ride my bike to work everyday with steel-toe boots and in my uniform on so it makes everything easier.

I was wondering if maybe my bar shape could affect my hand numbess? I use a Easton EA30 bar with a Race Face stem. It seems to me that the bar has too much bend aft, putting my hands in an uncomfortable position. I thought of even going back to a flat bar but the width is too skinny for my size.

I've even changed stems a few times, I run a 90 mm stem now but before that I had a 100mm stem which felt too long.

I guess I need help..................
    For the seat numbness... I need to make sure that I stand up and pedal a while regularly to keep blood flow to the 'boyz', that has helped a lot, aside from a decent pair of padded shorts and trying lots of seats over the years (as well as incremental changes in saddle tilt, which makes a HUGE difference in comfort- in seat and hand pressure).
    As for hand numbness, I switched to a on-one Mary bar about a year ago, which has something like a 40 degree back sweep compared to what I preferred before which was 9-11 degree. This has totally solved any hand/wrist problems for me (+ some cushy oury grips, cuz this bar is stiff compared to the ti bars I used to like).
    Aside from an 'alternative' bar, it sounds like you may have too much weight forward on your hands, or perhaps are gripping the bar too hard. I don't like a glove with much padding, just doesn't feel right to me, but thicker grips could help (ie- oury style w/ big cushy blocks).
    There's been some good chatter about the grips with more cushion on the end... ergon.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]