Thread: Help :)

One Big-Arsed Clyde

Help :)

I'm trying to find a bike that will fit my weight and my wallet. I'm about 270# (hope to get to 250 by year's end...) and my wallet (and wife) can support aroun $2000-2500. I'm looking for a full suspension, NON-29, that will be used for mostly cross country (with a few minor accidental drops of 1-2 feet maximum.) I'm also looking for something in the near 30-33# range - or is that unrealistic?

The two bikes that I really liked were the Specialized Stumpy FSR and the Kona Dawg. I didn't like Trek, and my wallet can't support Ventana, Titus, etc.

Again, I have tested a couple of 29's and did not like them so those are out!!! Also, I enjoy climbing so the downhill rigs are really not for me.

For the type of riding that I am going to be doing, do either the Stumpjumper or the Dawg make sense, or am I setting myself up for warranty issues? When I ask the LBS's, they of course say sure, those will be fine. Not sure how much they want the sale vs. wanting to help out.

What other bikes might I want to truly look at?

Thanks all.

Kaspur

Your bike is incorrigible
    Well within the price range, but a little outside the weight range is the Kona Coiler. I'd recommend it over the Dawg because of its components package (mainly the fork). The Coiler is going to be about 36lbs, though, so fairly heavy but indestructable. The bottom of the line goes for $1600, and you can probably look around and find a deal for a couple hundred less. The next suggestion would be a Santa Cruz Heckler. That is going to be at the outer limit of your budget, but it will be a tad lighter. The Heckler with X.9 package is going to be right at $2500, and I think the weight is around 32lbs (that might be with the air shock, though). Still, those are both indestructable bikes that you wouldn't have to worry at all about. In fact, you might find that you are doing more than 1-2' drops after riding for a few months.

Slave to the grind

heckler!

should work just fine
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    Heckler would work well. Frame and shock should run you 900 with the Vanilla. Leaves you 1200 plus for build kit. Throw a Pike on there for 450, and you have 750 for wheels (get some good ones for you, xt/rhyno lite xls) and some decent components and you should hit about 32 lbs, and have a hell of a bike.

Another option you should consider is the Cannondale Rush series. Lefty is strong enough, you can get a Rush 800 at your price range, or go with the 600 and have some money for repairs/changes to make it even more clyde friendly. Both will weigh in at less than 32 lbs

Good luck

Matt