Slave to the grind

helmets for the Melon-headed in 2013?

Hey guys!

im figuring since we are a sub-forum of people who are above average it would make sense to start a new thread about big helmets.

i know there are previous threads on this matter but unfortunately over time the helmets that used to fit us, no longer are being made.

in any case:

I am a happy Giro Xen owner and running on my second one. its one of those rare helmets that fit big headed guys such as me. sadly from my experience i think they discontinued the model. I have to mention that they also came out with these weird visually repellant colors and patterns before they phased them out.

given that most companies have L and XL helmets on sale. Is it just me though, that as they increase in size they actually get longer or more dis proportioned somehow?

i have tried the Giro Xar and the Fox Flux along with other helmets from various brands. the majority don't fit- clamping on to the sides of my head like a vise, with the forehead padding coming nowhere close the skin on my forehead.

others like Kali "sort" of fit. they are semi-comfortable on my head but seem to make me look my a flower horn fish or a mushroom.

You guys have the same experience as me? what's on your noggin now?
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    This is the helmet I have had for over a year. It replaced my beloved Giro Xen. It has LOTS of room to spare:

Specialized Bicycle Components

This is this years version:

I was very surprised to find it as comfortable as my Xen, and it has a nice adjustable retention system. My noggin usually disagrees with cheap helmets, but this one has been an exception for me.

Rider

I have had the xen, which fit well. I also had a remedy full face that fit great.

I am now using the POC Trabec Race in xxl. It fits very good for me. Unfortunately the full face they make doesn't fit at all.

The new Bell Super looks like it might be a good choice. From all the helmets I have used in the past Giro/Bell seem to fit the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I tried every helmet available in every bike shop in town plus Target, Wal Mart, Dic*s Sporting Goods, Sports Authority and even K Mart. The only two that came close were the $13.00 Genesis from Wal Mart with almost all of the padding removed and the Fox Flux from Performance Bike. I opted for the Flux and never looked back. It also comes with some thinner pads to swap out for a custom fit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    This is the helmet I have had for over a year. It replaced my beloved Giro Xen. It has LOTS of room to spare:
    Thanks for the recommendation. Any perceptible weight difference between these two lids?

Super Clyde

This is this years version:

I was very surprised to find it as comfortable as my Xen, and it has a nice adjustable retention system. My noggin usually disagrees with cheap helmets, but this one has been an exception for me.
    I wear a 7 3/4 hat, and I have the Specialized Max. It's pretty darn comfortable, and breathes well.

Slave to the grind
    hey JeffJ funny enough i just tried the Max today. yes it fits but my head has this mushroomy look to it.

the guy at my LBS said that Giro changed their molds out for their new models which is why the newer ones dont fit the same. ill try the Bell's as well before i make the final decision.

will keep at it.

mtbr member
    Giro Feature (Large) is the best fitting helmet I have ever owned, so good I bought another one in case they stop making them. Had xen's for years and the feature blows them away. I have a huge head 63cm, and it fits like a glove. You have to adjust the internal harness thing by popping it out and moving it down the max setting, then it wraps right around under the back of your head. Best helmet ever. Not hot either, the ventilation is really good. Very light too. Love it!

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrybomber View Post
    hey JeffJ funny enough i just tried the Max today. yes it fits but my head has this mushroomy look to it.

the guy at my LBS said that Giro changed their molds out for their new models which is why the newer ones dont fit the same. ill try the Bell's as well before i make the final decision.

will keep at it.
    Not sure that any helmet could make my head look good, or vice-versa.

If you still can't find what you're looking for, there may still be some leftover NOS Xens around on ebay.

mtbr member
    Seriously, no other helmet has ever fitted me as good as the giro feature. I read about it on a post here in the clyde forum that it was good for big heads and I was sceptical at first, but ordered one on sale. When it came I put it on, and it didn't fit properly, and I was like, yep another dud fitting helmet. Then I read the instructions and adjusted the harness inside the helmet out to max size. Did that and WOW, it fits like a glove. The most non-mushroom like helmet ever. Fits a huge head like a glove.

Anyone with a big melon who can never find a helmet that fits, try the giro feature. It's like nothing else out there.

mtbr member

Mushroomhead is also a concern. I don't want to have to hire a pilot car to drive in front of me to check for clearance...

Slave to the grind
    darn it, no luck with Kali either. some pressure points near the top of my skull. retried the hex and xar for good measure. no go. ack!

looks like im going with a prime. will try to find a unit of the giro feature i can try on as well.

mtbr member
    Not the biggest head (61cm), but lopsided with bunch of dents here and there, and no helmet fits me right except for Giro Feature.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rock a Bern Brentwood in XXXL

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    Earlier this year, I was looking for a new helmet at my favorite LBS and none of the ones they had fit my 63 cm head comfortably. The lady who orders the helmets there called Giro and found out the largest helmet they offer for 2013 is the Hex model in a "true" XL size. So she ordered couple of them for me to try on. The Hex XL fits me very comfortably with room to spare for wearing hats/balaclavas in the winter. The size range for the XL is 24 - 25.55 / 61 - 65cm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

This is the only one I could find that would fit. But I do like it. It's much better than the old school helmets I used to ride 20 years ago. Much cooler, and more comfy.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    as a disclaimer I didn't read all the posts...

but part of helmet fit is the shape of your head... the measurement typically indicates how big around your head is but different companies shape the helmets differently, some fit for an oval head, some for a round and some for an odd-long shape...

for motorcycles and auto racing Arai helmets has a few options based on head shape to fit most people.

so the best answer is to try on as many as you can :-/... when I got my Giro I went to an REI that had a bunch of different models and saw what fit best (please don't do this at a LBS unless you plan to buy from them)...

thankfully with the new retention systems and multiple pad options bike helmets have a bit more give for strange head shapes then motorcycles but it's still best to find one close out of the box
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I recently bought a bell xlv from Amazon, it's in XL size, it fits perfectly and it's cheap too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Giro venti

Quote Originally Posted by Tonynapalm View Post
    I recently bought a bell xlv from Amazon, it's in XL size, it fits perfectly and it's cheap too!
    I picked up a Giro Venti. I believe it's specially made for those with fat heads lol

Ryan