Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5

    Hello! Noob here needing advice.

    Hello this is my first time posting on this website. I'm a 5'11 368lbs male looking to correct my life by dropping pounds. I haven't ridden a bike since I was 12 or so. I have researched my things about bike for big guys, however everything I have read is a bit confusing. What would be a good starting point in finding a bike for me. thank you

    Also is the is bike worth looking at as was suggested by my LBS: Fuji Bikes | MOUNTAIN | SPORT - HARDTAIL | NEVADA 29 2.1

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rossluzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    351
    Welcome, biking is a great way to shed the pounds while having a ton of fun.

    Is your budget around the price of this Fuji? The wheels have 36 spokes which is a good thing for added strength as opposed to the common 32 spokes. The fork has 75mm of travel which is okay, but 100mm would be better for soaking up more weight. A lot of it depends on the type of trails you'll be doing though. The wheels are also 29" in diameter so it will ride differently than a 26" wheeled bike, and there's plenty of debate over which is better for what conditions.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,872
    The rear hub is a spin-on type which leaves a large portion of the axle unsupported by bearings. I can almost guarantee you will bend or break the axle. The front fork looks quite suspect too depending on how and where you plan to ride.

    Truth be told, you probably need to step up your budget to about $500 minimum for a new bike that will hold up and provide you some fun and reliable riding.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    18
    I just did what your about to do. 6 foot 380lbs.
    1.go to the lbs and see what frame size you need a 29er will be a different size then a
    regular mountain bike.
    2 What do you want the bike to have. the two things I wanted were disk brakes and a
    lock front shock
    3.Then buy new or hit craigslist. It took me a month or so but I got a specialized
    hardrock 29er 2011 $400 new it was about $800. I was keeping my search too trek,
    specialized, giant just to keep it simple for me.
    4. Bike shorts and then just take it one mile at a time. At our weight are ass needs a
    break in period.

    The people on here are great!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    Welcome, biking is a great way to shed the pounds while having a ton of fun.

    Is your budget around the price of this Fuji? The wheels have 36 spokes which is a good thing for added strength as opposed to the common 32 spokes. The fork has 75mm of travel which is okay, but 100mm would be better for soaking up more weight. A lot of it depends on the type of trails you'll be doing though. The wheels are also 29" in diameter so it will ride differently than a 26" wheeled bike, and there's plenty of debate over which is better for what conditions.
    yeah as i currently don't have the funds to buy anything of significant value this price was appealing.it took me 4 months of saving everything i had to get close to affording this bike(i.e after all my bills were paid the rest went to the bike fund). I only need a bike for transportation
    and losing weight. I'll only be riding on paved flat roads. (not many hills in Florida)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTons View Post
    I just did what your about to do. 6 foot 380lbs.
    1.go to the lbs and see what frame size you need a 29er will be a different size then a
    regular mountain bike.
    2 What do you want the bike to have. the two things I wanted were disk brakes and a
    lock front shock
    3.Then buy new or hit craigslist. It took me a month or so but I got a specialized
    hardrock 29er 2011 $400 new it was about $800. I was keeping my search too trek,
    specialized, giant just to keep it simple for me.
    4. Bike shorts and then just take it one mile at a time. At our weight are ass needs a
    break in period.

    The people on here are great!
    The Bike doesn't need anything special. As long as it can carry my weight and take me to and from the local stores I'll be happy.
    my plan is to ride about 1-2 miles a day until I feel comfortable going longer distances. I'm a simple guy that likes simple things

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    The rear hub is a spin-on type which leaves a large portion of the axle unsupported by bearings. I can almost guarantee you will bend or break the axle. The front fork looks quite suspect too depending on how and where you plan to ride.

    Truth be told, you probably need to step up your budget to about $500 minimum for a new bike that will hold up and provide you some fun and reliable riding.
    adding to my budget would add many more months before I can begin ride and my doctors are suggesting the sooner the better as I have developed high BP and high LDL (bad cholesterol). At 24 now is best time to correct my weight problem before even more issues come up. However I don't want to buy something that won't last either.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    5
    Looking at bikes in and around my budget range most are aluminum frame. Will aluminum frames be strong enough to support my weight? I've heard steel frame bikes are more reliable.

Similar Threads

  1. Noob needing some help with purchase
    By NJdevils26 in forum Specialized
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2013, 03:02 PM
  2. Beginner needing advice!
    By aw2013 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
  3. Noob, desperately needing (of course) Help
    By danballa in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM
  4. Noob needing a sub $700 29er MTB
    By Proud_Noob in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 07:56 AM
  5. Somewhat beginner needing some advice....
    By futurestruth in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2011, 10:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •