mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hello, new here!

Hi!
    I am new to this forum. I am about to buy a bike. I am going to check out this used Kona Hoss Deluxe, the guy is asking $875 CAD. I am not sure if its worth it (obviously it has to be in good condition for me to even consider it, but I wont know until tomorrow).

Lets say it is in top shape, will it be worth the money? Any input is welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Underskilled
    Hello again,

New in the UK they go for about 800, so $1500 CAD new.

It's a cheap price for a good condition second hander, so expect it to be worn.

Things that are likely to be worn.
    Chainrings, cassette, chain bottom bracket, rear hub.
    Work out what is worn then discount that off the offer.
    I would say you are getting a good deal below $1100, so you have repair room

If the Hoss is no good for you; A good rule of thumb is buy 1 more level extreme than you ride. So riding road get an XC, riding XC get a trail, riding trail get an AM etc etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    CaveGiant- Thank you for the quick reply. I am going to check the bike out this afternoon. I will report back.
    Also, you say, chainrings, cassette, chain bottom bracket and rear hub would prop. be used up. How much can all these cost me? If these add up to 225-275$(depending if the bike is negotiable, I will be getting a good deal...?

Not a lurker
    I doubt that those things will be worn down to the point of replacement. You could at least finish the season as is. Upgrades can come during the winter when there isn't much riding to be done.

PS. Welcome to the sport.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Certainly would be good to get someone to look at it for you and let you know how much life is left in all the replaceable components.

Check for cracks or medium/large dents in the frame--if you see that avoid it.