mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Hello, New heavy guy needing help!

First off would like to say hello to everyone,

I'm in need of some help.

I'm a big guy not so much tall but heavy. Come in at about 6'2 and near 300lbs.

I recently got a new job with my workplace being around 3 miles away.

So i though instead of getting a bus or a taxi on nights i'll get a bike instead or so i thought.

Now i used to ride when i was younger but then as you do you get a car etc etc.

What i'm looking for is advice and someone to point me in the right direction of durable wheels. As i've been told my weight will crush them

So if anyone could help.

Oh the frame i have managed to get my hands on is a trek 4300 at 18" and im beginning to think that will be a bit small. But as i will be only covering about 6 miles a day it should be bearable for a while.

Would like to thank anyone who can help me in advance.

Jordan,

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What kind of roads are you taking? Do you have to take anything with you to work? Is a frame the only thing you have? Yes I think an 18" frame will be short, I am 5'11" 285-290 and I ride a 19" frame on my road bike and a 20" frame on my mtb.

mtbr member
    Hey Jordan,
    Welcome to riding!
    An 18" frame is going to be on the small side for you. At 6' 2" you would better fit a 20-21".
    As for wheels, a well built 32 hole or 36h set of wheels will be fine. How you ride determines durabilty more than components, i.e. just plowing through everything vs absorbing bumps, landing straight instead of crooked, etc.
    Umm, gotta cut this short, I'm at work
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Fletch,

I just joined a few days ago as well. I have a 96 GT Zaskar that is 99% stock and has 32h and seems to be holding up for me. I don't do much if any jumping or the like. Mostly is riding on the street and a few dirt roads. I am building up my new bike and talked with the LBS about wheels and a lot more last night. My new bike is a Titus El Guapo and is more bike than I will ever need or use, but the price was right. He suggested that I build the wheels to match the bike, make em strong and go with 36h was what he suggested. I figure I will go with Hope hubs, haven't decided which ones and unsure of the wheels, perhaps the flows since a lot of people say they are strong and can handle a lot. Perhaps some others can shed some light on other choices.

As for frame size, I agree with the other posts saying that it is a bit small. I am 6'2" and 350ish and falling moderately quickly (amazing what proper eating and going to the gym will do). My Zaskar is a 20" frame and the El Guapo is a Large size which is close to the same measurements as my Zaskar.

Jon

Back in the saddle
    Wheels: Sun Rims Rhyno Lite. Heavy, but very strong. I'm at least 275 and hit the big stuff. They do just fine. No complaints.

Get a nice, long seat post. I bought a small bike too. I do some pretty technical rides and was of the opinion that the smaller frame would be more nimble. It is, but the next bike will be bigger. Fixed the fit with longer seat post and longer neck.