mtbr member
    May 2013

Hello MTBR! I need some help from some non hipster urban douches. Buying a bike.

First off, Sorry to be "that guy" and start a thread with my first post on the site, so this will be an intro/progress/question thread I guess.

I am Casey. I am 5'8" 280lbs, and I live in Minneapolis, MN.

I have decided to get a bike and want to ride to get back to being healthy, I walk but I want more fun. I live in an urban environment, and that will be my everyday riding, but I do want the ability to go on trails with my friends when I gain some more stamina/skill.

I have been going to local bike shops in my neighborhood, and most of the guys have been less than helpful. Searching the internet has been daunting to say the least, and this site is appearing to be the best place I have found so far.

I find it hilarious that the subforum is called Clydesdale's by the way.

Anyway, the question at hand. I need a bike that will work for me.

My ideal price range 350-500. I can go as high as 600 if I wait a couple weeks. I would LOVE some suggestions on bikes. Please! I am getting desperate for real answers, instead of the snarky 21 year old hipster bike shop employees in my neighborhood. I would rather get something cheaper right now because I want to make sure I can and will get off my fat ass and do it, and plan on saving up to get a better one or building one once my needs/skills upgrade. The weather here is finally nice, and I am itching to get on two wheels, HELP!!!!

Thank you in advance for reading and/or giving advise.
    Casey

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    That's a difficult price point to work with, for a new bike. I would advise you to resist the urge to go with any kind of department store, or warehouse store, and get a bike from a store/shop that can offer some tune-up and repair service, especially if you're not comfortable working on it yourself yet.

If you can't find a local shop, the Anniversary Sale at REI is starting May 17. They will have some bikes on sale, and I have always heard good things about their service department.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Or figure out your size and looked at used. A bike a few years old can be had for about half price it was new. There's also the bikes direct option. Like stated, $500-600 isn't a lot of money for a good clyde worthy (new) bike. That said, if you bump up the budget a little for new or look used, but I had great luck with a Specialized RockHopper 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    **double**
    Last edited by Queso; 05-16-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Stupid iphone

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I am pretty close to an rei and have the day off. I will swing in and look around. Buying used will probably be the best option.

mtbr member
    If you can stretch you budget a little you should look at the Cannondale Trail 5 which they sell at REI. The reviews of the Trail always say that it is much better than the sum of it's parts which on paper are not impressive. Most entry level bikes are pretty much the same but Cannondale seems to get better reviews than most with theirs.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm in a helping mood today. You're probably better off buying used and saving money. You can always upgrade later which most people do. In due time you will probably have two or three bikes. It's not making sense right now but it will eventually.

Gary Fisher 17.5" Tassajara Men's Bike
    old school but still a great bike to start out on. A little a biased because I like older bikes.I'm not a bike snob and will ride older stuff, still do.

Hardrock Comp Disc Brakes (5'7" - 5'10") Specialized
    Not bad either.

High end 19" Cannondale Mountain Bike
    GRRR if you were a few inches taller this would be nice.

Gary Fisher Mt.Tam Disk XT / XTR
    The right size and decent components.

Honestly craiglist is your friend. Lots of bikes on there around your size and budget.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Buy used and cheap until you figure out your actual riding habits and needs.

If you want bang for your buck bikesdirect.com although you may need a hipster douche friend to help you assemble if you have no experience.

mtbr member
    I'd go used hard tail. I swear by Kona hard tails personally. My Clydesdale uncoordinated Canadian self was not able to do any damage to mine. I had a Kona Stuff (dirt jumper type) which was a blast. Good bikes to look for would be a Kona Cinder Cone, Fire Mountain, etc. Kona frames are very resilient, and their hard tails were always equipped well in my opinion.

Certified Clyde
    I'll second the "figure out a style you like and a size, and go used" sentiment. Bikes in the resell market generally go for ~50% of new (if you look for deals). Figure out what fits, what type of bike you want, then scan the forums and Ebay.

One other piece of hard learned advice. Resist the urge to buy fancy lightweight equipment. None of us on the Clyde forum will ever benefit from it, we're not pro racers. I went through my weight weenie phase, and I broke some nice expensive lightweight stuff. I'm 90 pounds lighter these days, and I still buy for durability. Just my $.02 .
    - Cody

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

B-J
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Always always hunt around for last year's bargains. Or even the year before. Models get released so often but with minimal changes you should be able to pick up a real cracker of a deal if you hunt around properly. And definitely don't get anything with suspension on the back at this price point.

mtbr member
    I echo what others have said, stick to a hardtail with solid components. You can find some great deals on sites like Craigslist in that price range. You may also look at sites like Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM MTN and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension and 29er Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com and get the best component group you can afford. They are not name brand frames but you can find some great deals....if you stretch that budget just a bit you can get a bike with Shimano SLX or SRAM X7 level of components.

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29COMP

Or XT/XTR

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - Motobecane Fantom Elite

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    I'm in a helping mood today. You're probably better off buying used and saving money. You can always upgrade later which most people do. In due time you will probably have two or three bikes. It's not making sense right now but it will eventually.

Gary Fisher 17.5" Tassajara Men's Bike
    old school but still a great bike to start out on. A little a biased because I like older bikes.I'm not a bike snob and will ride older stuff, still do.

Hardrock Comp Disc Brakes (5'7" - 5'10") Specialized
    Not bad either.

High end 19" Cannondale Mountain Bike
    GRRR if you were a few inches taller this would be nice.

Gary Fisher Mt.Tam Disk XT / XTR
    The right size and decent components.

Honestly craiglist is your friend. Lots of bikes on there around your size and budget.

goforbroke, is right on target, stick with the bike shop brand bikes and go a little older and there are plenty of good deals to be found. CL is the best place to look. Once, you find a couple you like in your size, post a link here to the bike and ask us for our input. For that matter you can send me a PM with questions and I will do what I can to point you down the right path. Oh, and congrats on your plan to get in shape, riding a bike in my mind is the best way to go have fun and get in shape....
    Klunk on............

Ow!
    Queso, if you haven't done it yet, go check REI to see what they have on sale. I have never found a "hipster" sales person in REI, and usually they are helpful. Maybe not that knowledgeable sometimes, but they are aren't trying to move certain stock. Just emphasize how big you are and that you may eventually get into trail riding. One of the biggest factors with purchasing from REI is the 100% return policy. You break the bike, or just do not like the bike, just return it for a replacement or refund.

Get a hardtail with a straight fork or an air fork (the cheap coil forks may not be sufficient for your weight). And have whoever sells you the thing to set it up for you. Also, start saving some money. If you get into mountain biking, you will want to upgrade to a better bike.

Used is a good way to go, but you may not be that knowledgeable about bikes, and there may be no support after the sale.

Good luck, and have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    More you invest the better off you are down the road! If you can wait a little longer and save up you'll get better bike at the $700 or 800 range. Most of the major brand name bikes have decent entry level bikes at that price range.
    JUST DO IT

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    try cutting out a few cheeseburgers and sodas each day and put it towards your bike fund and you won't be a fat bastard in this predicament.....or just join the forums and politely ask a question without insulting people and you'll get tons of good answers and assistance. you dig brah?