mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Hello- I just Joined

Hello,
    Howdy from Texas. I havent ridden since i was a kid, and now that i let myself get out of shape, we (wife and i) decided to start again.
    I am 355lbs 6'3 24 years old.
    I know this was a bad idea but, we bought bikes at walmart because i dont have a grand to spend on two bikes.
    I got a mongoose 29"
    and she got some womens bike
    total price was 341

My question to yall is what is a more durable bike for a guy my size that i can afford?

Also, what do you guys reccomend as far as riding schedule and a diet? Id like to lose 100 lbs or so, and i dont expect it to happen fast, i do however want to get into a more healthy life style, so that i can enjoy my life more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Welcome!

My wife and I just started too! What part of Texas? We are in Austin.

On the bike the more experience guys will give more information than I can. I went with a Trek Gary Fisher Mamba. I'm 5'11" 297(was 315 three weeks ago). So far the only thing I have upgraded are the pedals. You will find that the pedals will just bend or break after a long hard ride.

I would say go with what you can afford, but it still needs to fit your body. What could you afford for two bikes? Also, did you try a local bike shop?

Underskilled
    There is a reason we recommend more expensive bikes, they will last longer, be more fun to ride and will not collapse.

Stick with this bike as long as you can and then invest in a new machine.

You will be glad to know that when biking the weight just slides off, great fat loss exercise.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey guys- I went and took the mongoose back- I decided to go the right route and went to a few local bike shops. I looked at specialized, trek and fuji. I went with the Fuji Nevada 3.0 because it seems like a good bike, and the guys at this particular shop were very friendly. They said from now on since i bought a bike from them, labor on any future upgrades or repairs is FREE, also any tune ups are FREE. On top of that he went out of his way to search for some things that i wanted that they didnt carry and ordered them for me at a very good price. He also said if anything ever breaks on the bike, i can bring it in and they will replace it free.

I paid 491 after tax and a water bottle holder. It was way more than i wanted to spend, but i feel like im covered in the event that something does happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey WInchester,

Welcome! I have been down this path three times now in my adult life. This time I'm starting at 330 and working my way down. 5 weeks in I'm down about 11 pounds, but I know I am leaner and I can see a change happening.

Keep up the good work, get out on the bike and log some miles.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi