Thread: Heckler Sizing

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Heckler Sizing

There's a used Heckler in which I'm interested. Problem is, it's a large and the top tube is only 23.3 inches. I'm a little over 6'1" with a long torso and not-so-long legs. My GF Tassajara has a 24.7 inch top tube, and I like the fit of that. Seems like an XL Heckler would be a better fit 'cause it has a 24.9 inch.

Is it worth test riding the large, or would I just be wasting my time?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the same problem as you, 6'0" with a LONG torso. I bought a large heckler, and while I really loved the way it rode and the suspension worked, I just couldn't get used to the fit problems. Obviously, your mileage may vary and I can't be sure what your concept of good fit might be, but I'd try to test ride one if at all possible.

Good luck,
    Sean

mtbr member
    It's worth it. I'm 6' and ride a L with a short stem. Depends on what type of riding you're doing also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well.... What do you ride now?

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzle
    I had the same problem as you, 6'0" with a LONG torso. I bought a large heckler, and while I really loved the way it rode and the suspension worked, I just couldn't get used to the fit problems. Obviously, your mileage may vary and I can't be sure what your concept of good fit might be, but I'd try to test ride one if at all possible.

Good luck,
    Sean
    What do you mean with "long" torso? I'm 6' 1" with 35" inseam, and I was thinking to an L Heckler with 100mm stem... What's your inseam?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b3n
    What do you mean with "long" torso? I'm 6' 1" with 35" inseam, and I was thinking to an L Heckler with 100mm stem... What's your inseam?
    I know you're more interested in Shizzle's in seem, and believe me that hurts my feelings. However, I'm 6'1" and my inseem for pants is 32"; I have a long torso for my height.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Of course, the best solution is to ride both sides and decide for yourself. You might also want to compare the top tube length of your current ride to that of the Heckler.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    I know you're more interested in Shizzle's in seem, and believe me that hurts my feelings. However, I'm 6'1" and my inseem for pants is 32"; I have a long torso for my height.
    Not really: I'm interested in your inseam too, since we can help each other choosing our Heckler sizes. I mean: we have the same total height, and your inseam is 3" less than mine, so your torso is 3" longer than mine. That means that you need a longer bike than me. My xc race bike has a 60cm horizontal lenght and I use a 12cm stem, but I think that an all-mountain rig should allow a more relaxed position: so I thought I could stay with 59cm + 10cm. Maybe a 59cm + 12cm could be enough for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b3n
    6' tall, 31" (sometimes 32" depending on measurement) inseam. Like I said, LONG torso!

That said, I have always, for some reason, preferred the long top-tube, short stem combo. Additionally, the slack headtube angle effectively shortened the cockpit even more for me, which made it that much less comfortable.

Again, I would never trash the Heckler... it's a great riding bike. I just couldn't get used to the fit. If you can test ride one for fit, you should.

Sean

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'd say stick with the XL Heckler. The stand-over height is actually the same for the L and XL. The Heckler is such a sweet handling bike, you don't want to force fit one just because you find a good deal. I've got a buddy who spent a couple of hours at a very good SC dealer sizing him up and calling SC to consult. They had both sizes in the shop and they messed with different stem combinations to make sure it was right. Like you, he was kind of on the bubble between the two. They put him on the XL and he couldn't be happier with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey I am considering a heckler but I a m a bit shorter than all yall. I am 5' 10 " with a 29 " inseem I don't know if I should get a med with a lay back seat post or a lorge and have a little less stand over height. I fall right in the middle of the sizing chart from SC. I am a trail rider looking for a flickable feel. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I've never ridden a Heckler. Based on Heckler specifications I would not classify them as flickable. I'd put a bike more like a Trance or Blur in the flickable categorey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    ...flickable...
    Is that notion not a little out of place in the clydesdale forum? I'm thinking flickable bike=breakable bike for a clyde.

Baba Booey!
    Quote Originally Posted by rekibtm
    Hey I am considering a heckler but I a m a bit shorter than all yall. I am 5' 10 " with a 29 " inseem I don't know if I should get a med with a lay back seat post or a lorge and have a little less stand over height. I fall right in the middle of the sizing chart from SC. I am a trail rider looking for a flickable feel. Thanks

I'm the same height and inseam, and am on a med heckler. There is no way I would have bought the large, it's huge compared to the medium. I have a regular post (no lay back) and a 100mm 0 rise stem, the thing fits perfectly. Without a doubt, get the med.

bob
    mtbr member
    I'm a little under 6'02", torso is slightly longer than bottem half. I don't know what my actual inseem is but I wear 32" jeans. I just gave up on my large Heckler. I tried to believe the Heckler fit me but the cockpit was just too small, even with a layback seatpost and 120mm stem. It seems I'm in between the L and XL. Anyway, I should have the Heckler frame up on the MTBR adds by this weekend.

Let me add to the flickabillity issue. My Heckler built with Z1 SL weighed 29 lbs. It was very flickable IMHO.
    Last edited by bob; 04-26-2006 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    monkey fist, the LBS that sells SC only has heckler frames and is about an hour or so away. I am having a hard time test riding one, so thanks for the sizing info. Does your heckler feel flickable? bob says his heckler was very flickable. I guess I am saying flickable as in a riding position that is not streched out like a racer more centerly located , like the heckler is. My current bike I feel a little to streched out even with a shoter stem and such modifications. First bike, felt good in the parking lot, but I know now it is too big for me and too much of a racer feel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am just over 5'10" with a 31.5" inseam and I used to own a large Heckler. It is by no means a huge bike. The large sports a 23.3" tt which is a medium for most other bike companies. Most larges for other companies are around 24", or longer.

The medium Heckler is tiny and I would recommend if for riders well under 6'0ft.

bob
    mtbr member

rekibtm

I was in the same boat as you, ie...being at the top end of what SC says will fit. IMO, the large is too small for 6'1"- 6'2". I also think the XL is too big for me as well. So, I moved on to an entirely different bike to get the TT I wanted. Based on my experience, the Medium would be too small for 5'10" (I think you said you're 5'10). I believe a large would fit you just fine and be flikable. But we all have different riding styles.

b3n
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    What about the "formula" approach? As a rule of thumb you can use

total reach = (torso + arm) / 2 + 4 cm

or

totale reach = (sternum notch - inseam + arm) / 2 + 4cm

As I said before I'm 6' 1", but I have long legs (35" inseam). For me this formula gives a 69.5 cm total reach: a large heckler with a 10mm stem.

bye