lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

Heckler Rejeckler...

deleted...I need to show some restraint
    Last edited by Rthur2sheds; 04-13-2006 at 07:39 PM.

mtbr member

heckler vs 575

I was in the same position b/w heckler and 575. My LBS, swell guy, but could not assure arrival of the Heckler for up to 8 weeks. I decided that b/w the wait for the Heckler frame and my hearing great things about the 575, that I would pursue the Yeti. After several discussions here on mtbr and a placed call to Yeti, I was encouraged and discouraged on the 575. The main bummer was that Yeti recommends that Clyde's over 235 ride the ASX.

Personally 6-7 inches of travel for my neck of the wood is way too much of a downhill feel. No one seems to want to put less than 170 on the front of the ASX. My old HOSS-D had some burly parts but the ASX would have required a whole new spread of parts to get it up and running.

Making a long story short I wound up getting a killer deal on the 575 with CK, XTR/XT, Avid, and Thomson bling for a little more than the cost of the 575 frame alone . I am a little over the Yeti recommended weight limit so I have made it my goal to get below that threshold. I am very excited over the new steed but will have to change one part theRP3 has to be PUSHED, otherwise great ride

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    thanks for your feedback on the Yeti!

I wouldn't worry too much about being heavier than the recommended "load"... Seems like all bike manufacturers do that for liability reasons. It IS good to shoot for your weight loss goal, though...and what better motivation do you need than having a cherry, new bike???

Have you got the Yeti yet? Post pics when you can!

best of luck with all your goals!

bob~

mtbr member
    A little over, no worris. But the limit they set is 235 IIRC. is 35lbs gonna make a huge difference: no. But if you do get it, and do break it, and they refuse warranty on your 1500 frame... just a thought.

Now to your question. Let me sum it up. Dude at the shop is a jerk. you already know that. You have decided on the best bike for you, using opinions of a large group of people. A Salesman(working on commission) tries to get you to get a bike frame that cost twice as much. and now you doubt your decision. Not a good plan. He just wants some cash, be firm, tell him you want XXX, and dont let him talk to you. One of my favorite things to do to salesmen like that is let them take me through the whole spiel, and then tell them, "thanks, but thats not why im here. I want XXX, like I told you before". Gets them to see you are polite, but firm, and shuts em up quick. If someone is arround, they will get Heckled (pun intended) by the other shop employees...

Good luck, stick to your guns

Matt

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    I agree with your assessment on the liability

b~
    Last edited by Rthur2sheds; 04-13-2006 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Usually when i run into a pushy sales guy like that I let him do his spiel and then say uh-huh... and then proceed to the exit, never to return.

Like they say, you can get more flies with sugar than a hard right to the gut...

I roll with a Bullitt i found on eBay for 500 with a Stratos shock out back. the great thing is i can almost lock it out with the turn of a knob, so climbing is a possibility. You can still build it up for a decent Clyde XC ride as well.

(I know you said Heckler, but the principle is the same, i guess. I know nothing of the Yeti. Except when he told me not to eat the yellow snow.)