Fat guy on a bike

Heckler Question

There seems to be three rear shock choices for the heckler. Which one is most suited to a very heavy clyde like me around 300lbs?

Float, DHX coil, DHX air?

I'm thinking maybe the coil for upgrading the spring?

The complete bike build at Speedgoat i beleive comes with the float. Will it support me? Trying to keep costs down.

mtbr member
    I'd say coil. From my experience with air and 4"+ of travel is that if you're big (I'm 250) you're maxing out the air and hoping it will support you. The DHX has the spring and the air for compression. A spring has always been my choice except for a racing bike w/ 3". Lets see what others have to say.

Fat, but working on it...
    I agree. Anything that will take much abuse (anything under me takes a lot) should have a coil. Air is nice if you're skinny. In fact, on my I-Drive I had an air shock, and it was okay. But I kept it pumped up way high, and that bike only had 3" of travel.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    There seems to be three rear shock choices for the heckler. Which one is most suited to a very heavy clyde like me around 300lbs?

Float, DHX coil, DHX air?

I'm thinking maybe the coil for upgrading the spring?

The complete bike build at Speedgoat i beleive comes with the float. Will it support me? Trying to keep costs down.
    Coil. Speedgoat may be able to trade the Float out for a coil shock (a less expensive one than the DHX coil) before you purchase, I would ask them.

The Santa Cruz Heckler Set-up Guide isn't up to date, but if you look at the air pressure #'s for the "Fox air shock" you can see that you'd have to put close to 265psi in to set it for your weight . That's an estimation just based on extrapolating the numbers they have in the chart (240lbs = 215psi, add 20 psi for every 20lbs bodyweight = 265psi) . That may or may not work well.

Personally, myself at 265lbs plus gear I'm not gonna want to deal with sub-par performance from a shock just because I'd be operating it at the extreme of its capabilities. Plus, I wouldn't want to risk having an air shock blow out on me or having to do rebuilds often because I'm causing it will wear down quicker. JMO.

Patrick

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Coil, definitly. I have the DHX 5.0 coil on mine and upgraded the spring to a 550lb spring. Much better feeling.
    Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

mtbr member
    I am so sick of hearing big guys can't do air. I'm 245 and have ridden an RP3 for 6 months now with zero problems on some heavy duty trails. I just got it PUSHED and its even more sturdy

The way things made into law by the sheep on this board drives me nuts

You want to go AIR you can ride AIR!!!! but like anything it needs attention and service

Fat guy on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker1220
    Coil, definitly. I have the DHX 5.0 coil on mine and upgraded the spring to a 550lb spring. Much better feeling.
    What is the cost for coil upgrade?

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by saba
    I am so sick of hearing big guys can't do air. I'm 245 and have ridden an RP3 for 6 months now with zero problems on some heavy duty trails. I just got it PUSHED and its even more sturdy

The way things made into law by the sheep on this board drives me nuts

You want to go AIR you can ride AIR!!!! but like anything it needs attention and service
    What are you talking about? Where are the sheep? I usually see racoons and deer out on the trail, but no sheep.

I don't think everyone one this board says big guys can't do air. The people that posted before you said that in answer to the OP's original question. Which was about the Heckler. In our opinion, it's silly to but a XC air shock (and yes, the Float and RP3 are XC air shocks) on a heavy-duty AM style frame that's likely going to be abused by a 300lb rider.

The Fox DHX air is a possibility, if it could handle the high air pressure that a 300lb rider would require. That's a question for Santa Cruz and/or Fox. Regardless, the OP mentioned that he's on a budget, and the DHX air is like a $200 upcharge.

Here's the other thing. There is a big difference between a 210lb clyde, a 240lb clyde, a 275lb clyde and a 300lb clyde. The higher weight clydes require much higher spring rates or air pressures, depending on the frame's leverage ratio. I'll use the SC Nomad as an example because Santa Cruz publishes the shock set-up data up to 240lbs (I wonder why that is?) on their website. I've extrapolated up to 300lbs:

Nomad w/ Fox DHX air - (Rider weight/Air pressure)
    160lbs/190psi
    220lbs/250psi
    240lbs/270psi
    260lbs/290psi
    280lbs/310psi
    300lbs/330psi

As you can see, the heavy riders are gonna have a little trouble running the DHX air, because IIRC the max air pressure is 300psi. Regardless, any rider over ~250lbs is going to be running the shock at the extremes of it's capacity. Are the advantages of an air shock (which I'm not sure are relevant for a clyde anyway) worth the potential problems of running a piece of equipment to it's max capabilities all the time?

IMO, it also depends on the type of riding. I for one do not want to have to worry about my air shock blowing out when dropping a 3' to flat. Now, 3' to flat isn't a huge drop, but tell that to my frame, wheels and shock as they absorb my 280lbs. Unless Fox is gonna fix my shock trailside, I'm not gonna risk it. As least if my coil shock dies I could limp out of the woods. If an air shock goes, I'm gonna be hoofin' it.

So there you have my reasoning for promoting coil shocks, and I suspect others have similar thought processes. They will chime in if they wish, I'm sure.

Patrick

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy
    What is the cost for coil upgrade?
    I just checked out the Heckler pricing on the SC website. Base price of the frame is $887 with a Manitou Swinger 3-way air or 4 way coil. If you're on a budget, this coil is probably the way to go.

Now for the bad news. To upgrade to the DHX coil is an additional $294 and the DHX air is $371 over the base price. The Float (which I believe you mentioned earlier) is also an upcharge - $163. So according to the SC website it seems like you should be able to get the Swinger 4-way coil equipped frame for less than the Float equipped frame.

If you already have a coil shock and just need to upgrade the coil spring (or just need a different spring rate), you're probably looking at around $40-50 for a steel spring.

I hope that helped.

Patrick

Fat guy on a bike
    Thanks. Now just to magically make 1600+ more dollars appear in my checking account ...