mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Heckler Alternative

I have been riding my Caffeine 29'er for a couple years now, but am now ready to purchase my first full suspension. I was very interested in the Heckler with the a coil shock, but the toptube falls short at 24.5". I was wondering what alternatives are out there that could accomodate a coil shock. I am 6"3 and weigh about 250, with a long torso, so I am looking for at least 25" on the tt.

Cracker
    I m 6 ' 5" 250 and have xl heckler that seems a little small for me\
    I am now riding a Banshee Rune xl which seems to fit me perfectly
    The heckler is very flexy for me and has a lot of pedal bob
    The Rune is a super stiff very very strong frame that pedals like a hardtail but is super plush and downhill is amazing
    ohh yeah i cracked my heckler swingarm 2 times (not a good frame for me)santa cruz just sent me whole new frame i guess im going to sell it
    take a look at the banshee its design its a vpp like the nomad but its cheaper a great all around bike
    It might get a little steep from here

Fat guy on a bike
    Kinda sucks these days as FS bikes, especially those with more than 4" suspension have pretty short TTs.

I am bigger than you and ride a Trek Fuel EX. The 09 has a TT of 25.3 for the 21.5" model. It will work

Fat guy on a bike
    The Specialized Pitch in XL as a 25.3" toptube also.

Edit: Oops, you want a coil huh... both will fit a coil but not come with one.

mtbr member
    Look at a Coiler, they make one in XXXL that would almost be too big for you. A very good match for the Heckler. I have a Dawg in XXL and at 6'2" and 260 also with a long torso it is perfect, I am very happy with it. I would have gotten a Coiler but I also have a Stinky so there was too much overlap.
    Beer, a Pork Chop in every can!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you go Ventana, you can get a beautiful, bombproof frame that will fit you, your shock, and whatever wheels you like to use.

Working Man's Toilet
    You should really look into a 29er FS- Ventana El Cap, Turner Sultan, my personal fav, Lenz Behemoth, comes in xxl, super plush- LUV IT.

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    Nomad can come with a DHX 5 coil shock and maxes out at 24.8" for an XL if you want to stay with Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant607
    Nomad can come with a DHX 5 coil shock and maxes out at 24.8" for an XL if you want to stay with Santa Cruz.
    Same if not smaller - SC runs their bikes on the small side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for all of the great advice. After taking a ride on a hoo koo e koo this weekend, I think that a full suspension 29er is the way to go. Most of the bikes I have browsed come with the rp23, how well does this air shock hold up to a clyde?

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by xxcracer
    I have been riding my Caffeine 29'er for a couple years now, but am now ready to purchase my first full suspension. I was very interested in the Heckler with the a coil shock, but the toptube falls short at 24.5". I was wondering what alternatives are out there that could accomodate a coil shock. I am 6"3 and weigh about 250, with a long torso, so I am looking for at least 25" on the tt.
    It all depends on the setup. I have ridden several XL Hecklers, just picked up a new one. I have the same stats as you a six pack lighter but that's not much. For the last 2 years I have been riding bikes with 25"+ top tubes. It is nice and I can run 80-90mm stem with a straight seat post. However a 24.5" tt will work out about the same with an offset post. If that doesn't get you there then a 100-105mm stem will.

By wanting an over 25in tt you really limit your choices. Specialized makes long bikes. They are very comfy in the XL size. I have demo'd a few.

Astrix may be an alternative, you can even keep it 29er. 25.4in TT. Very similar to a Heckler:
    http://www.astrixsports.com/monk.html
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

29 some of the time...
    Thanks for all of the great advice. After taking a ride on a hoo koo e koo this weekend, I think that a full suspension 29er is the way to go. Most of the bikes I have browsed come with the rp23, how well does this air shock hold up to a clyde?
    Air is fine these days. It is actually getting harder to find coil support for bigger riders any more. I just got a vanilla rlc fork only to find that fox stops spring at 195-210lb. They do okay on rear shox, but the party line there is air for big guys. See my other post for 29er rec.

I rode an rp23 all last year and it was great.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    DEPENDS.

Look at the leverage ratio of the bike. The lower, the better, as it will allow you to run lower pressure and dial in the feel. The problem with air shocks and clydes is the balance of small bump sensitivity and blowing thru travel. Coil solves that problem, and some bikes have suspension curves that solve that problem. PUSH can also solve that problem.

There is always an option of switching air cannisters if you have a problem with blowing thru travel and your frame came spec'd with a large air can.

The way to do it is look at the frame, get the information and then search for clydes riding that frame to ensure that they are happy with the shock and suspension setup. I would imagine that on something like a Giant Trance, you would be maxing out the PSI (RP3 has a 300psi limit) just to get the bike setup.

I weigh 225 and won't go back to air.