mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Heavy Newbie needs advice

I am 6' 375lb and was looking at a Breeser Thunder Comp, do you think that is a good buy? I am new to mountain biking and I am concerned about buying a quality MTB that will hold up as I lose this weight.

mtbr member
    I don't know the specs of the Thunder Comp but Breezer does make very good hardtails at a nice price. As a big guy you might want to look at the Lightening model instead which is a steel frame and will be less jarring than aluminum.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    At 340 lbs, I can attest that there really isn't such a thing as a "harsh" bike The added weight makes everything compliant.

That breezer looks like a decent clyde bike. Two piece crank with outboard bearing BB and an air fork. At your weight, buy a new bike so you have a warranty in case the frame cracks.

Realistically since you are just getting into MTB, it should hold up for a while. As you start to get faster and more aggressive though, the wheels won't hold up, seat post might bend and the seat may bend. To have a bike that will truely hold up to to a 300+ lb monster, you need to custom build it and spend at least $1500. Wheels are the main thing. For now though the breezer will hold up ok especially if you start loosing lbs fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ok Any suggestions for the wheels?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Get a custom set built using either DT swiss 340 or 440 hubs, Chris King hubs, hadley hubs, triple butted spokes, 36 hole Sun Ringle MTX33 or Stans flow rims.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Being a Clyde's is hard when you get into mountain biking I'm one myself 280+ 6'2 I've snapped many of cranks and pedals that's another main concern plus the added muscle doesn't help I would difienetly look into better cranks and pedals also and air fork is a must for myself I've ridden many a really crappy forks and they'll do you nothing and a steel frame would be stiffer,stronger

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 350-360 lbs...... jeez I cant afford 1500........... sigh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdkJack View Post
    I'm 350-360 lbs...... jeez I cant afford 1500........... sigh
    Post your budget and you'll get some suggestions. You don't need $1,500 for a bike.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    When I was 21 I was 380 lbs at 6'1". I got the best Walmart mtn bike available and rode it for 2 years. I dropped 150 lbs in 9 months by parking my truck and riding everywhere including the gym twice a day.

I am 37 now and still struggle with weight. I have a breezer repack FS bike. It's a solid bike for sure, from the quality of this I'd say their hardtails will suit you just fine while you drop weight. Just get it new with the warranty, as said earlier and go ride. It's kinda fun being big and a hard rider, people don't expect you to destroy them.... I still need bigger lungs now to supply my 290lb ass but at least it is a muscular enough mass now to get out and slay some single track.

I live in the mtns so I also snowboard every day of the ski season.... Gotta stay super extra active to keep my figure.....