MTBNewbie0066
    May 2007

Heavy Duty Crankset

I am a 6'1" 380# and am looking for a new crankset that will hold up for longer then a month. I am trying to get back into riding and finally dusted off my bike a few days ago. While trying to get a ride in i discovered that the crank set is basically distroyed (flexes pretty bad). What do i need to get, if ya;ll could spell it out for me part by part.

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10" and about 250, I use shimano hones, I climb, downhill and do some drops and they haven't let me down yet. I have had them for about 3 years now and its still working fine. Its on my current ride which is a mountaincycle fury but will thansfer them onto my new ride, Santa Cruz Nomad.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    BMX Cranks by Profile Racing, Eastern or FSA are insanely strong, have bomber bb bearings and you can get length's up to 190mm. Just buy an FSA spider and you can run multiple rings (mtb style set up). They are heavy... but so are we...
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

long standing member
    What's your budget? What bike is this going on?

I've had great luck with Shimano XTs (on my trailbike and commuter) and Shimano Saints (on my DH bike). IMO Shimano's external BB and their crankarm attachment system is superior to most others that I've seen. The Saints are definitely stiffer than the XTs and also have a steel pedal insert, which I prefer since I've had an issue with aluminum inserts stripping out.

At your weight I'd recommend going with Saints. I've also heard good things about the Profiles mentioned in another post. Realize that either of these systems is going to cost you a few hundred bucks, unless you find something used or on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNewbie0066
    I am a 6'1" 380# and am looking for a new crankset that will hold up for longer then a month. I am trying to get back into riding and finally dusted off my bike a few days ago. While trying to get a ride in i discovered that the crank set is basically distroyed (flexes pretty bad). What do i need to get, if ya;ll could spell it out for me part by part.

Thanks,

Mike

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Something like these are insanely stiff
    Profile1.JPG
    They are Profile Race Cranks.

Tom P.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    have you tried the Shimano SLX? They cost way less than the XT and are supposed to be stiffer and more durable.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by jitenshakun
    have you tried the Shimano SLX? They cost way less than the XT and are supposed to be stiffer and more durable.
    Caveat there, there are 2 versions of the SLX. The double ring version is the heavier duty version with steel pedal inserts. The triple ring is going to stack up similar to xt for strength and weight (a little more of both IIRC)

I would skip the bmx cranks. They are heavy and strong, but are limited and also a bit abusive to the ankles. Most of the shimano cranks, lx and above, will fit the bill. If you want the stongest and stiffest, seek out some 2007-2008 saint cranks (strong, stiff, compatible)
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

local trails rider
    Another vote for Saint.
    Those cranks are seriously tough. You might need a new BB once in a while, but they don't cost a fortune and the system is really easy to work with.

MTBNewbie0066
    May 2007
    This will be going on my Dino D300, as for budget, i figure as long as i'm not spending more then what a new bike would cost i'll be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    What's your budget? What bike is this going on?

I've had great luck with Shimano XTs (on my trailbike and commuter) and Shimano Saints (on my DH bike). IMO Shimano's external BB and their crankarm attachment system is superior to most others that I've seen. The Saints are definitely stiffer than the XTs and also have a steel pedal insert, which I prefer since I've had an issue with aluminum inserts stripping out.

At your weight I'd recommend going with Saints. I've also heard good things about the Profiles mentioned in another post. Realize that either of these systems is going to cost you a few hundred bucks, unless you find something used or on clearance.

MTBNewbie0066
    May 2007
    Forgive my ignorance but what is a BB?

Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    Another vote for Saint.
    Those cranks are seriously tough. You might need a new BB once in a while, but they don't cost a fortune and the system is really easy to work with.

I Have Cookies
    BB= Bottom Bracket

Get a race face evolve dh(down hill) BB and a set of fsa maximus cranks (sometimes you can find this for sale cheap ($40) from the internet) and transfer your chainrings! super strong and cheap!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    BB= Bottom Bracket
    = the bearing assembly that attaches the cranks to the frame.