BWG
    mtbr member

Heavy-Duty Adjustable On-The-Fly Seatposts??

My first visit to this forum - usually hang out with the 29er and Niner crowd - so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed before here (I did do a search). Is there an adjustable seatpost like the Gravity Dropper, Joplin, Rase, etc... that is strong enough not to flex much. I recently bought a Gravity Dropper Turbo with the 1" and 4" drop with a remote bar-mounted lever. I like the design and chose it over the Joplin and Specialized versions - the problem is I can flex the post pretty easily. Before I use it I'd like to see if there's something more stout out there. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Are you gonna eat that?
    I have a Maverick Speedball (what eventually became the Joplin) and it's rock solid.

I specifically avoided the GD seatpost because it looked too narrow to be rigid.

Why did you prefer the design of the GD over the Joplin?
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyoseki
    I have a Maverick Speedball (what eventually became the Joplin) and it's rock solid.

I specifically avoided the GD seatpost because it looked too narrow to be rigid.

Why did you prefer the design of the GD over the Joplin?

I read about the Joplin having too much play in it and I didn't like the way the cable moved out and down towards the rear linkage/wheel when the post moved. Also, the turbo is sweet because when you hit the lever it instantly raises back up to the fully extended locked position, and it has two definate drop heights.

The downside is that it only comes in the 27.2 mm size - and that's the diameter of the outer sleeve. The inner post is much smaller than that and that's where the flex is coming from.

Are you gonna eat that?
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    I read about the Joplin having too much play in it and I didn't like the way the cable moved out and down towards the rear linkage/wheel when the post moved.
    There is a little play in the nose of the saddle with the speedball/joplin, but I can't say it's ever bothered me once I'm riding (I don't even notice it), I believe that with the guide blocks properly adjusted the play becomes minimal.

The moving cable is a bit annoying yeah, but I have yet to notice it interfering with anything at the rear linkage.
    Also, the turbo is sweet because when you hit the lever it instantly raises back up to the fully extended locked position, and it has two definate drop heights.
    The speedball/joplin pops back up pretty quickly as well, but it's a little finicky about dirt, if it's kept nice and clean and well greased, the action is very smooth.
    The downside is that it only comes in the 27.2 mm size - and that's the diameter of the outer sleeve. The inner post is much smaller than that and that's where the flex is coming from.
    That's exactly what concerned me about the GD seatpost and why I went for the speedball, where the inner post is only marginally narrower than the main sleeve.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Kyoseki - Have you looked at any of the newer posts such as the RASE? Would you buy the Joplin again today?

Are you gonna eat that?
    Kyoseki - Have you looked at any of the newer posts such as the RASE?
    Hmm, I wasn't aware there was a post with that amount of travel, it looks very interesting.
    Would you buy the Joplin again today?
    In terms of build quality I can't fault it, it's a very well made piece of equipment, although I have seen someone break their lever (the cable detached from the handle), I haven't had any issues with mine other than keeping it clean (maintenance is pretty easy and only takes a few minutes).

My only gripe is the amount of travel, it seems to be 4" (although the Joplin says it's only 3") which is great for the most part, but I'd like to drop it even further for the more technical stuff, so I'm looking at the RASE with interest now, although at $350 it's a good deal pricier than the Joplin and I don't really need it just yet

mtbr member
    Depending on how big of a Clyde you are the RASE is not the best option. They have a published weight limit of 250 lbs for their post.

The Rapid Adjust Seatpost presently has a 250 Pound rider weight limit. Future testing may raise this
    weight limit.
    Page three of the manual.
    http://rasebike.com/downloads/RASE%2...t%20Manual.pdf

The other downside to the RASE is that the inner seatpost drops through a sleeve so it doesn't help add adjustability to frames with interrupted seat tubes.

Finally they state that the inner diameter of the post is the same for all their models, only the diameter of the sleeve is different so it is really no different that running a 27.2mm GD with a shim.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_mountain_biker
    Finally they state that the inner diameter of the post is the same for all their models, only the diameter of the sleeve is different so it is really no different that running a 27.2mm GD with a shim.
    Thanks, that's what I figured. It would be pretty expensive for the manufacturers to have different sizes of inner posts for each outer diameter post they offered

Looks like the Joplin is the only one with a large diameter inner post.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ridden a few days on my new speedball remote (now joplin). I'm 260lbs and the only problem is getting the saddle tight enough on the post to keep the nose from rising when I sit on it. With the single sided bolt I have to crank it as tight as I possibly can to keep it flat. Last time I added some grease to the rails and both ends of the bolt and that helped a bit.

Post is rock solid and works great for me. Up and down very quickly. As I'm 6'3" a little more drop would be nice so I could have the seat a bit higher when its up.

I forget where I read it but I think the Maverick forum here has a huge thread (and many total threads) about the speedball/joplin where the Race is also mentioned. It seems like there may be some issues with it but then again you could jump to the same conclusion from all the threads with speedball/joplin issues. Do a search and read up on it.

Please keep us in the loop if you switch to the race.

Thanks.

BWG
    mtbr member
    Gravity Dropper informed me they are coming out with a HEAVY DUTY 30.9 version this year. That will be the one for me since I love the action of the Turbo I have.