mtbr member

heart rate monitor

I've searched the forums and I'm not really coming up with an answer so I'll put the question out there I'm looking into Heart rate monitors not cheap but not expensive what should I look for Not interested in one with a GPS like Garmin.

what have you guys got for me?
    Psalms 118:8
    "It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man."

Overdrive your life

My Life Blog

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't like the idea of wearing a watch when I ride. So I bought the CatEye V3 cycle computer. It has HR and cadence built in. It does everything I need it to do and it does it very well.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Computer.aspx

mtbr member
    This one is inexpensive and works great. Its the one I used before I got a GPS with HR.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-...9403572&sr=8-1

I now use one that's connected to my Garmin Edge 500 so I can see graphs of my heart rate for each ride. That along with the average heart rate gives me a feel for how hard I pushed myself.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise
    This one is inexpensive and works great. Its the one I used before I got a GPS with HR.

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HR-100C-...9403572&sr=8-1

I now use one that's connected to my Garmin Edge 500 so I can see graphs of my heart rate for each ride. That along with the average heart rate gives me a feel for how hard I pushed myself.

Whats the size of your chest? And does this fit well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have the older version of this one and love it! I have had it for almost 3 years now and you can track your zones, max, average and calories burned, cool tool!

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/produc...ing/FT4#silver

mtbr member
    I own an older Sigma, have three years on it, and it came with a bar mount for the watch monitor. I agree that wearing it and reading it while cycling is ridiculous, so mine is on my long distance bike. The helmet light helped me read it at night so I don't need a cheap flashlight shining on it anymore. It is sensitive to flash modes of the headlight when bar mounted, or if I run the battery cables near it. Likely I need EMI filters in the lights. No recording Max or average data. Mostly that is fine. Sometimes I'd like to know what my pulse was at max on the climb when I couldn't read it until it was already on the way down again. Advantages? LBS carried it. It was cheap. Batteries last a year. It has been reliable. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    +1 on Polar brand. I have the RS100 and it works great. More features than I need. I believe they make a cycling model that does speed and hr.

I also use a bontrager one that came with the Node 2 computer on my road bike. It also works great but is more expensive.

I have a 52" chest and both straps are fine.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

V3

Had a V3.....bit of a fiddle to set up......but worked really well.

On a mountain bike I lost one of the cadence/speed unit on a 50 mile ride off road. .......not cheap to replace.....i think its a bit bulky for off road...otherwise great.....

I have a polar (basic model) but find the watch thing isnt good on a bike (you can get a mount).....like the V3 it is good for setting zones...i use this in the gym as most of the machines link to it.

Garmin 500 for me next

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    Whats the size of your chest? And does this fit well?
    42". Fits fine and is adjustable and elastic to fit most sizes. I'd guess it will go up at least 4-6 more inches.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by tshulthise
    42". Fits fine and is adjustable and elastic to fit most sizes. I'd guess it will go up at least 4-6 more inches.

TY!

The biggest constraint about buying one for me is that I never believe it'll fit around a barrel chest.

Thanks for the response!

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    TY!

The biggest constraint about buying one for me is that I never believe it'll fit around a barrel chest.

Thanks for the response!
    I have a barrell chest as well..... 48"...was 52".........polar is about on the limit at 52"

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG666
    I have a barrell chest as well..... 48"...was 52".........polar is about on the limit at 52"

I'm in the same boat. I just picked up a Polar RS300X via ebay thanks to this post.

Looking forward to training properly this coming winter.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    check these guys out online http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

Free overnight shipping too.

I've had pretty good luck with Polar.
    I have a Garmin HRM with my 705 but it doesn't seem as accurate as my Polar.
    (Polar knows I'm 40, 6'6" and 260, my Garmin just knows I'm 260 and 40...could be 5 foot tall or 7, it wouldn't know or calculate calories differently....) not sure if it does, but I would think it should.

I have a 52" chest as well.

CS300 may be my next one/metal buttons.

My old Polar (S210s) plastic buttons keep breaking. Got it fixed once.

Not a fan of the menus on the F6/7.
    Like the look of my wife's RS100 running watch.

I normally just wear my Polar HRM Watch around.
    Just wished they looked better. Most are hideous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm
    check these guys out online http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/

Free overnight shipping too.

I've had pretty good luck with Polar.
    I have a Garmin HRM with my 705 but it doesn't seem as accurate as my Polar.
    (Polar knows I'm 40, 6'6" and 260, my Garmin just knows I'm 260 and 40...could be 5 foot tall or 7, it wouldn't know or calculate calories differently....) not sure if it does, but I would think it should.

I have a 52" chest as well.

CS300 may be my next one/metal buttons.

My old Polar (S210s) plastic buttons keep breaking. Got it fixed once.

Not a fan of the menus on the F6/7.
    Like the look of my wife's RS100 running watch.

I normally just wear my Polar HRM Watch around.
    Just wished they looked better. Most are hideous.
    For calorie counting and fitness Garmin uses a method where you input the amount of cardio work you do each week...

Polar actually lets you get your resting heart rate along with recovery for some calculations...

I went with Garmin EDGE 500... It works pretty well for bikes. I thought the Polar was more appropriate for everything else because of watch format. Also, some people have had problems connecting their Polar HRMs to their computer after 6months-1 year.

They're both good and you really can't go too wrong. Now that I've picked up running... My EDGE 500 isn't really appropriate... UGH! I want another one for running. Or maybe one that would be good for a triathlon...

mtbr member
    -1 on Polar.

I would NEVER buy another Polar Bike computer after my experience with my CS100

The cadence and speed sensors are a ripoff and battery replacement is a joke. To add to the problem the polar doesnt seem to record speeds under abour 6mph. (This results in serious errors in distance travelled on hilly rides)

I replced my Polar with a Sigma Rox 8 and could not be happier. It is a significant improvement over the Polar.

6'4", 52"chest 230lbs

mtbr member
    Just curious, why are you ruling out GPS? I was looking for a wireless HRM and a cyclocomputer, and the Garmin Forerunner 305 ended up being the best deal @ $150. It includes the HRM, whereas the bike-specific Edge models do not. It's a watch format, so you can either wear it on your wrist, or there's a mount to attach it to your bars.

I initially just wanted to see what my heart-rate was while riding, but the ability to track your progress, compare it to past rides, see what HR, speed, elevation you were on at specific areas of your ride. Being able to track your progress, create "courses" to race against yourself where the GPS lets you know if you're doing better or worse than in the past.

For $150, I think it's an extraordinary value. You get the same thing as you would get with a cyclocomputer/HRM, but with the additional ability to visualize your progress, like **this**. You can click on the green arrow to watch your rides with real-time details by clicking the green arrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0