mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hardtail vs. FS for Clyde's

I have been riding for a number of years on a Spec. Hardrock. I love my hardtail and am looking to step up a notch in bike quality. looking to spend about 2k and have my eyes on Fuel EX 8, Stumpjumper or possibly a hardtail maybe even a hardtail 29er.

My major dilema with full suspension is I am a 6'0" 250 lbs clyde and I am curious how well the FS linkages hold up to the abuse from the additional weight?? I ride some pretty technical single tracks here in So Cal. Nothing too crazy but it my normal routes have several 2-3' waterfall drops and plenty of rock gardens.

Can some clydes please let me know their opinion on the issue. I would be content on a hardtail but am also intrigued by a FS...

R.I.P. DogFriend
    250lbs? You're still well within the limits of most full suspension bikes. Just steer clear of the more weight-weenie type frames/builds and you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Look at a low leverage ratio FS bike. This way you can run some reasonable pressure in the shock and have a little more plush feel.

mtbr member
    I'm on a Fuel EX8 at 246lbs. Started on it at 300+ I'm not as technical a rider as you describe but ride plenty of rough terrain 2-3 x a week here in Western North Carolina. I've had no suspension problems with the bike and have finally dialed it in to what I like. I've upgraded my chain and have had some tire issues but am real happy with the Trek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    All this is good to hear thank you all.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm 253lbs. I ride a FSR 29er with a brain. Its a great climber and fun on the down hills
    Wanted the best of both worlds. (FS and Hardtail) They are expensive but the brain technology works. The Spec. website does a good job explaining it.

Underskilled
    I have found a a FS designed for heavy riding to be much better than a HT, similar weight but taller.

My friends Kona Coiler was a nice ride, stiff and bouncy

29 some of the time...
    Not a problem. You may run into the standard clyde issues on a complete factory bike, but you can upgrade/strengthen the weak areas as you find them. Spec and Trek are both solid manufacturers with good warranty programs
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

turtles make me hot
    I'm riding an FSR 29er at 255 pounds. I haven't hurt it yet. Same as Skinner29er said... Bike's a little pricey, but it performs well. I've seen the 08 for sale for 2700 here on LI.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm riding a FSR xc comp at 255lbs. I had a Hardrock for 15 years. I ride trails and small drops. I love my new bike. The air shock was important as you can pump it up to meet your needs. I was shocked to see how much air the dealer put in my rear shock, but they tell me we can put 65 more lbs of pressure in if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm on a '08 Trek EX8 and I really like it, when I got it I was around 248 lbs, I am down to about 218 lbs now, but I think it gets ridden harder now then when I was heavier. The drive side chain stay did break on me, but Trek warranted it with no issue.

mtbr member
    As mentioned before shouldn't have any problems at that weight as long as you steer clear of xc frames. Bearing life generally has more to do with how you clean the bike. I think it was Santa Cruz who did a lot of testing on this and the bearings which failed quickest were on bikes hardly used and cleaned after every ride. The bearings which lasted the longest were on bikes used a lot and not cleaned too often. Bike cleaners/degreasers and pressure washers also greatly reduce bearing life.

If you wanted to cut down on the hassle you could always go for a single pivot or a bike manufacture which gives a life time guarantee on the bearings, Marin always use too. You would have to double check as i'm not sure about 2009/2010 bikes/frames.