mtbr member

Hardrock vs. Rockhopper frame

Just wondering how they compare for clyde use? I am going to go look at a 2010 Hardrock 29'er at my LBS this evening and if it fits good I will probably grab it unless I hear from here first that the frame is not clyde friendly. I had budgeted myself about $1000 for a new bike and at $610 the Hardrock will leave me enough to upgrade the fork and front brakes and brake levers. Everything else should be good for awhile. It will work great too cause the brake levers and front brakes from the Hardrock will make nice upgrades for my Raliegh 26'er which needs those items upgraded as well. That is assuming that it comes with the Avid BB5 brakes like the '09 have. Unless the new 29'er has hydraulics then I would be upgrading the front brakes to BB7 203mm (if they will fit) or 180mm and leaving the rear brake stock.

mtbr member
    Oh, and I guess another upgrade would be wheels. Any recommendations? No jumping other than small stuff required while riding XC.Mavic en321? Anything better for the price?

mtbr member
    Tried it out and it seemed pretty beefy and it was a comfy ride but the components just felt kinda cheap. I guess that is what you get for a $600 bike and a 29'er at that. I have no doubt the frame would be fine but the fork would need replaced in short order as the shifters sucked and it did not shift smoothly which I am sure is just an adjustment issue and as I was returning to the shop it threw the chain which just kinda summed the whole thing up. So I think I am going to pass on this one and keep looking.

29 some of the time...
    If I had $1000 right now to drop on a new 29er it would be the Motobecane Fantom Pro

Check that build kit. Juicy 7 hydros, Reba fork, xt, xtr, etc...

Compared to the Rockhopper comp disc 29er, no comparison. Head and shoulders above on the components. Even the $1300 expert doesn't compare.

That said, the rockhopper vs. Hardrock was the question. The Rockhopper is a decent frame. It is middle of the road for weight. Plenty durable, yet is a comfortable ride considering it is aluminum. The Hardrock on the other hand is heavier, stiffer, and generally more utilitarian. It isn't a frame I would care to put any money into upgrades on.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.