mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Hardrock sport disc 29 to a Giant talon 29er 0

Hey guys I'm thinking about upgrading to a talon 29er 0 from my hardrock and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on this bike. Thanks Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The talon is a nice bike, and if you like the geometry better than the hardrock, go for it. Personally, unless you're getting a fair chunk of change for your hardrock and getting the talon for below MSRP, I'd have a difficult time justifying the cost. The Talon has better components, but if you can get a new fork (Recon silver or gold, Manitou) and some good brakes on the hardrock, it'll really come alive. The giant's XC30 fork is better than the XCT, but still not that good of a fork. I'd have a really hard time going back to one after a recon. The 3x10 is obviously better than the 3x8, but not that much better if your cassette has a good spread (11-32), and a 11-32 cassette can be hand for under $20.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'll look into upgrading the hardrock. I just realized the talon 0 is actually a 2013 model so I'd have to see if they would work with me on the price if I did go that way. Still very green with bikes and trying to learn. Thanks again, Tom

mtbr member
    While upgrading is not always cost-effective it allows your bike to evolve with you. If you locate the areas/components that hold you back most and upgrade wisely you'll be able to tune your ride to your specific style & needs. A well chosen cockpit, fork and tyres will vastly improve your ride in terms of handling and comfort. A good wheelset is always a change for the better (esp on a 29er) but you have to spend a lot in order to get something that's significantly better.

The talon is better spec'ed but not perfect either. Might worth considering if you can trade your hardrock for a good enough price.

Don't rush anything though, the most important thing is to ride as much as you can, equipment comes second.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a friend willing to give me $550 for the hardrock so I'm not taking a total bath. The other option I thought was possibly a rockhopper or crave. Also where should I shop for the forks and brakes ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That's a good price for your hardrock, so if it were my bike, I wouldn't have any objection to selling it knowing I'd put that money toward a new bike.

However, the bikes you listed, unless you get the really high price ones, still come with an XC32 fork (assuming the ~$1,200 versions). No doubt the XC32 fork is an upgrade (absolutely imperative you get the correct spring rate for your weight), but I'd still go for something with a recon. I have a XC32 on my of my bikes, and although better than the XCT that came on it, hard to compare it to my recon. could be the set-up in my case though (full suspension vs. hardtail and much heavier)

I've bought forks from performance bike and pricepoint. Looked at Jenson too. BB7s off ebay. Too many websites out there to list them all, but these are the sites I've bought stuff from.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well I stopped by the bike shop again tonight and they have a crave pro 29 demo model for $1500 so now I'm heavily considering picking that bike up. I really think that bike should work great for a long time without needing any upgrades.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The Crave Pro is pretty nice, and the MSRP is $2,000, but keep in mind that you get no Specialized warranty when you're not the original owner and a demo bike is usually considered a used bike. If it was a lightly used demo, that is worth considering, but if it was heavily used, that $500 discount for getting a bike that has been flogged for a season and has no warranty isn't really a steal of a deal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The bike honestly doesn't even look like it's been ridden but thanks for the heads up on the warranty. I'm going to take it for another ride before I throw down that kind money on a "used" bike. My other thought was possibly going with a new crave expert but unsure how the reba fork compares to the fox. Also how much difference is there in the two hubs between the two ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nice bike. $1500 is still a bit high to me, but a valid price if it's in good/new condition. If it's from the LBS, request an OEM equivalent warranty in writting. If they're a good LBS, they'll do it. Most of the warranty stuff is from the separate part manufacturer's anyway, and the LBS just submits the paperwork to them.