mtbr member
    Jun 2009

"The Harder they Come..." - Clydes Fall Harder!

As a certified clyde (5í10 220) I have learned too many times about the role that physics plays when I hit the ground. Having short legs makes this even worse, as my center of gravity is where other peoples nostrils are, so I am prone to endos. I donít know about you, but when I stare down that shear drop that is laced with rocks and roots, I know that a mishap is going to hurt me a wee bit more than my riding companion at 165 lbs.

Maybe this makes Clydes more courageous?!

I'm SUCH a square....
    I don't need any reminders about the increased physics involved; underneath the 6+" scar on my shoulder is a stainless steel plate and 8 screws that held my collarbone together after breaking it in a commuting 'mishap'. Broke the bone in 5 places, and was released to return to work/riding less than a week before the worst ice storm in over 20 years hit my area last winter.

Had better winters......
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It's a good thing that our bones are also bigger and stronger from carrying the extra weight around

Underskilled
    Just make sure when you crash take advantage of that extra padding =-)

My friend went down hard recently, spike tore through his side, clipped his pelvis shattering it (4 pieces). He is a skinny six packer.
    That spike penetration on my love handles would have hit nothing but 'padding' so relativly uninjured.

Clydes have inbuilt armour!

AZ
    banned
    Yeah I think about these things every time I go over the bars . Thankfully this is becoming less frequent.

back on the horse
    i'm about 5'9" 230. back when i rode seriously i was maybe 175. it hurts so much more now. at least i'm back on the bike and back to burning calories.

btw first post. hey guys.

turtles make me hot
    Years ago, I was doing a night ride around my neighborhood just to get my heartrate up when I hit a raccoon and went over the bars. I did a one handed hanstand on my left hand and then rolled and broke my right forearm with my body against the street. When they brought me to the hospital in bike clothes, the ER staff thought I was dressed funny to be riding a motorcycle. I explained I was on a bicycle and they were all surprised, saying they usually see this type of break from motorcycle riders.
    Doesn't matter what you fall off of when you weigh 240 pounds. Something's gotta give.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My post on our local mtb forum two weeks ago, I am just starting to recover:

Newtons laws of physics for clydes-
    Newton's first law - When you go "over the bars" you will continue in that direction until the ground stops you.

Newton's second law - F=ma, my m is greater than most and I was on a section of trail that I know and was hauling pretty good.

Newton's third law - The ground pushes back with as much force as my shoulder exerts. aka - Shoulder lost.

Newton's laws = PAIN.

Clydesdale 29er
    I exited OTB last Sunday and the worst injury was on the back of my calf where the
    big chainring did it's impression of JAWS. I think the tetanus shot actually hurts more.
    I remember one thought very clearly from the crash and that was how cushy my Camelbak
    felt as I did a tuck & roll through the rocks and sticks. It saved me from a more serious
    back injury without a doubt. Strange what you think of in a crisis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    slow motion...its always in slow motion. then pain.

sandbagger
    heres a 6'7 250 boy going over bars into two trees

he was hurtin
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    poor bike....
    Mine-2010 Trek 4300 Disk
    Wifes-2010 Trek 3700

Not a lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by jrherald420
    poor bike....
    Poor Clyde. Good thing I've never exited my bike OTB.
    ^Rides a Specialized
    MTB Name = Leg Ripper Offer
    I'm Mormon. =)

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ortrigger
    Poor Clyde. Good thing I've never exited my bike OTB.

Keep riding , you WILL go otb .

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    or at least into the stem........that hurts more than over the bars. my zipper broke open and took chunks out of my sack leaving me black and blue for a couple weeks.
    Mine-2010 Trek 4300 Disk
    Wifes-2010 Trek 3700

mtbr member
    There's nothing worse than that moment when you're looking at the wrong side of your front wheel. I went OTB a while back and thought as i went over 'this isn't going to end well'. Luckily i did a bit of a roll on my side and slid some more on my pack.

And yes, it is always in slow motion

mtbr member
    I did an OTB a few months ago and I cracked a rib, I think. I never went to see a doc but it hurt like heck to take a deep breath for about a month. I learned two things from this, if in doubt get off and walk it and the ground is a LOT harder than it was 30 years ago. I am tooo old and fat to be doing OTB's.