mtbr member
    May 2006

Handicapped racing time/pound?

I did a quick search, didn't see anything specific on the subject. If this has been hashed out before please direct me to that thread.

I just competed in a race this past weekend. I was first out of the start, didn't see another Clydesdale 'till the finish. Then the results get posted and a guy I beat by 18 minutes at the last race supposedly beat me by 3 minutes at this race.

I inquire as to the results and am informed that they handicapped the results 30 seconds per pound over 200 pounds. Has anyone else been to a race where they do this? After the race, they asked me how much I weighed, I told them my nekkid weight, 205. Should have told them my riding gear weight 212. 12 pounds is 6 minutes. The thing I don't get is they didn't handicap my time, but they did his? He's at least 30 pounds heavier than me...15 minute head start...

I don't really care, it would have been nice to know ahead of time though.

So, any other races where they do this?
    Last edited by Owyhee Jackass; 05-27-2006 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I haven't ever heard of this. They don't handicap the non-clyde classes. 150 lb racers have the same deal that 180 lb racers do.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Can you say "nepotism"? Sounds like this guy was really chummy with the officials. I've heard talk of a "clydesdale" category, but I've never heard of handicaps. Next time, take an ice cream cone and smash it into the top of the race official's head. Then ask him how it feels to be "handicapped".