mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hadley Freehub Failure

Just recently built up a custom 36er bike and went with a hadley 142x12 rear hub since DT Swiss no longer makes a 36h hub anymore. I've always heard that Hadley was very durable and great for clydes. Well mine lasted about 50 miles before I sheared the tips off of one set of the pawls. Anyone else had bad experiences with Hadley?

Only hub I've had zero problems with is a DT Swiss 440 but they are hard to come by. I guess I'll have to drop some cash on a king hub if I keep having problems with the Hadley. Very disappointing.Hadley Freehub Failure-photo-4-.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Are they something that could be a warranty issue?

mtbr member
    They have two freehub setups. The four pawl has a higher 72 poe engagement but the pawls are offset so only two engage at a time. The other is a 3 pawl that is 36 poe and engages all three at a time. Maybe the 3 pawl would be better choice for a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have been using a 4 pawl Hadley for around 4 years, and I am about 280lbs. (same hubs 2 different sets of rims on 3 different frames) with no problems what so ever, before that I was blowing a Shimano freehub about 1x/month. I am still on the original set of bearings in the front hub, the rear hub I have changed the bearings twice, and converted it from 135x10 to 142x12. I would call them and see if they will warrantee it if not just buy a new set of pawls and a spring and see if it was a fluke.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Didnt know about the 3 pawl 36 POE hub, will look into that. Id assume they will warranty thw pawls and i hope it was a fluke but ive gone through this many times now with other hubs. Ive become a rear hub pessimist.

Dissolved member
    Failure within 50 miles -> there must have been some hidden material issue going on. I am quite sure they will send you a new set of pawls pronto.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    REally?

Just get yourself a King rear hub and be done with it. There is no competition on the market when it comes to King and clydes.

King/ISO/Steel Hub Body, bullet proof as long is you keep it clean and grease it twice a year (depending on conditions).

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hadley is sending a 3 pawl 36 POE freehub as a replacement. Hopefully that should hold up a lot better.

From this point on, looks like I may just buck up for Kings. I was talking to a guy last night that had 8 year old kings with thousands of miles and one of the hub flanges cracked, they warrantied the hub. If you can keep a hub for 8+ years and thousands of miles, I guess the initial investment is worth it.

Dissolved member
    Just because you experience infant death of one set of pawls does not mean that Hadleys are a bad choice. Guess what, that happens everywhere, even with the best brands and most meticulous QA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Just because you experience infant death of one set of pawls does not mean that Hadleys are a bad choice. Guess what, that happens everywhere, even with the best brands and most meticulous QA.
    Understood, I just have a sorted history of destroying hubs and in my experience, if it fails once, it will fail again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    36'er equals 40% more hub torque than a 26'er. Add in clyde levels of pedal torque and you're definitely in the fringe category.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have had great luck with my Hadleys. 10 yrs and many, many miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ride Hadley hubs on my free ride bike, and Chris King hubs on my XC bike. The Hadleys have been trouble free, and the customer service is better than King. They will help you out for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Now a week and a half later and Hadley sent a new 3 pawl freehub (36POE), lubricating oil, 4 new pawls for the original 4 pawl freehub (72 POE) as well as new seals. I'm included to keep running the 4 pawl freehub to see if it was a bad pawl fluke or if it will break again. Good customer service, hopefully the new parts will hold up longer.