Thread: Gym Workouts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Gym Workouts?

I was interested in how many clydes do a daily workout in the gym in addition to their riding? I want to get in the habit of working out every morning regardless of weather and I thought the gym would be the best way to do that. I

mtbr member
    I don't workout every day. I ride twice a week (weekends) and play hockey another 1-2 times a week. That generally takes care of my legs and cardio. I know I should train legs but I just can't find an open day where it won't screw up my game or my ride.

I train upper body alternating every other day or so. I do a push/pull routine. Chest/back then the next day or day after I'll do bicep/tricep/shoulders. Usually 2 exercises per group 3-4 sets x 12 reps. I'll do light cardio like walking or easy stationary bike to stay loose. I'll also stretch.

mtbr member
    I am in the gym 4 or 5 days a week. 2 days of interval based weightlifting, 2 days of more of static weightlifting, with the 5th day usually being interval based endurance training.

I am on the bike to and from work every day and then try to hit a trail or two on the weekends.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Weightlifting equals more power.

I'm working on losing fat so I workout in my garage gym 3 days a week and alternate running and mountain biking the remaining 4 days. All this plus I've changed my diet drastically to cut out the nasty stuff. You'd be surprised how much energy you'll have if you eat healthy and drink only milk and water. On my leg workout day I do both squats and deadlifts and they've really helped put power into my legs. Hills I couldn't climb last month are now easy. Plus losing weight means I have less to push up those hills. I was afraid that I might overtrain and do more damage than good but on two of my workout days I don't work my legs nor do I run or bike. They're upper body days only. I highly reccomend adding weight lifting into your regimen as it has done wonders for me and will probably do the same for you.

Fatbiker (but getting fitter!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm just getting back into the gym after being out over about 8 years (High School was the last time, for Football.)

I basically do 40 minutes on the stationary on the "Weight Loss" setting then do leg curls, leg presses, and calf risers. Mon-Thur.

Ride Sat and Sun, take a break on Fridays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I bought myself an elliptical and a Total Gym. So I have no excuses to not workout except that I get lazy! Seriously, a gym membership is nice but it's easy to find reasons not to go. The convenience of working out at home is nice and it is easier to fit into your schedule. Of course there are other perks to a gym membership such as plentiful eye candy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    Of course there are other perks to a gym membership such as plentiful eye candy.
    Or eye torture.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    trust me... it's easy to find excuses even when you've got a home gym... i REALY need to get off my arse and hit the weights... but as of late i'm so tired (just started a new job)... in turn i know I wouldn't be SO tired if i wasn't so out of shape... grr
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    I lift weights approximately 4-5x a week. I tend to do the heavy weight, low rep workouts which tends to be not typical of most bikers. I just make sure not to do a leg workout on a Fri or Sat (squats, leg press, etc..) if I'm going to ride on the weekend

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBigSky
    I lift weights approximately 4-5x a week. I tend to do the heavy weight, low rep workouts which tends to be not typical of most bikers. I just make sure not to do a leg workout on a Fri or Sat (squats, leg press, etc..) if I'm going to ride on the weekend
    That is pretty much how I lift as well. I find a weight that is a little challenging yet allows me to do 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions. I don't push my leg workouts very hard though since I ride 2-3 days per week and do HIIT cardio on my elliptical when I need an extra cardio workout. My calves and thighs are big enough already I definately don't need to add more mass! lol

I basically work out 3 days then 1 day off. Then I repeat the pattern. Every 6-8 weeks I change up my strength training with different exercises. So far it's worked well for me.

Having the equipment at home really helps me a lot. I work business hours M-F and my wife works evening shift for Barnes and Noble. So when I come home from work she's on her way out the door. I have 2 boys ages 5 and 2 that I take care of. So getting to a gym every day would be a pain in the butt. So instead I can work out in my basement while they play or just wait till they go to bed. I sometimes don't workout until 9:30p-10p depending on my schedule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsk0703
    That is pretty much how I lift as well. I find a weight that is a little challenging yet allows me to do 3 sets of 15-20 repetitions. I don't push my leg workouts very hard though since I ride 2-3 days per week and do HIIT cardio on my elliptical when I need an extra cardio workout. My calves and thighs are big enough already I definately don't need to add more mass! lol

I basically work out 3 days then 1 day off. Then I repeat the pattern. Every 6-8 weeks I change up my strength training with different exercises. So far it's worked well for me.

Having the equipment at home really helps me a lot. I work business hours M-F and my wife works evening shift for Barnes and Noble. So when I come home from work she's on her way out the door. I have 2 boys ages 5 and 2 that I take care of. So getting to a gym every day would be a pain in the butt. So instead I can work out in my basement while they play or just wait till they go to bed. I sometimes don't workout until 9:30p-10p depending on my schedule.
    We all have hectic schedules so it is hard getting to the gym on most days. I make myself go because it clears my head on those busy days. I do lift to increase strength and with that comes increased muscle mass. I don't do more than 10-12 reps per set and on my heaviest sets I typically do 3-5 reps. I mainly use free weights and my gym has great Hammer Strength machines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Ride the bike, hit the treadmill and the rowing machine, then its on to strength training. Having a hard time staying motivated. My goal is to improve my endurance on mt bike rides but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm 63 and have been riding since the erly 90's. Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing the right rountine?

Are you gonna eat that?
    I work with a trainer twice a week, knowing that I'm paying for it is the only way I can get my ass to the gym

That said, I've found I really enjoy spinning (stationary bikes, loud music, yadda yadda)

I find riding the stationary bike unbelievably tedious, but being surrounded by women in spandex makes it somehow bearable.

Funny that
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outback
    I go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. Ride the bike, hit the treadmill and the rowing machine, then its on to strength training. Having a hard time staying motivated. My goal is to improve my endurance on mt bike rides but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm 63 and have been riding since the erly 90's. Anyone got any ideas? Am I doing the right rountine?
    If you want to build endurance solely for cycling then you simply need to ride more. Your gym workouts should focus on building strength and balancing out your body weaknesses.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Right now I'm in between jobs (fancy way of saying the pharma industry is eating **** right now). So I'm able to go to the gym about 4 times a week, and I've been riding probably about 5 times a week. While at the gym, I split my days up as Back/bi, chest/tri, or legs. You can do abs every day without ill effect. I tend to do more of the other days besides legs, because I don't want to get slaughtered by my riding buddies after a leg workout. always 3 sets, sometimes more. ALWAYS 10 reps or more, more if I'm trying to bump up weight next time around. Legs get 12 reps each set. At the gym, I don't do cardio, because I'd rather hit my dick with a hammer than get on a treadmill...

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I do what I guess is considered "old school" training. Primarily I do Olympic style lifts with barbells and/or dumbells at timed intervals for as many reps as I can get in the alloted time.
    Ex. clean & jerk for 30 sec. on/30 sec. off - alternating one handed dumbell snatch 3min. on/ 1 min. off , etc.... I mix that up (rarely) with occasional bicep curls,overhead tricep presses, dumbell bench press, body curls, isolated back raises, etc...
    I also do things like boulder lifts and tosses, sledgehammer strikes on a truck tire with a 16lb. hammer, push ups, hindu push ups, plyometrics, pullups, log lifts and tosses.
    I try to get a strength workout in 3X a week for about 20min.(max) of brutal intensity.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    crossfit.com it's worked WONDERS! ! ! it's free and work safe