mtbr member

Good bikes for heavy dudes.

A friend of mine that I also work with working on Pool Tables is about 360+lbs. He's I think around 6'5". I'm trying to convince him to get into Mountain biking. He wants to loose weight but in our professoin a proper diet is impossible. Since half the time we have to eat at a fast food joint.

Now the place he and I would ride is Tribble Mill Park in East Atlanta. There are some harder trails there but some real easy ones too. Mostly flat with no major obsticles.

We looked at a Specialized I think Stumpjumper or something along those lines. It's a hardtail. The man at the store said it would be alright as long as he didn't try riding hard. What is your opinion?

I doubt he'll spend more than $800 but seems alright with $600 or so. What are some other good bikes.
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

I can break that

Used Bikes

He's going to need a quality bike with good gear. Check the Classifieds, here, ebay, local paper. A $600 bike would end up costing a lot more.

First bike should be used. Find out what you like and don't like. Make sure you're going to use it. How much unused sporting equipment do we all have in the garage or basement. If it is something he likes and contiunes to ride, then save. Save & SAVE to buy the bike he wants.