mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Giant Trance bearing problems

Hello out there- I'm considering a Giant Trance 1 for XC riding once or twice a week. I rarely get more than a foot off the ground. I'm 6'3" 250lb. The reviews I've read are glowing except for one that complains of repeated broken bearings. Has anyone had this problem with the Trance?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    I use a Giant Rainier for XC stuff, and it took 5 years for the wheel bearings to go on it. I think it would have been fine but last 6 months it lived outside and I think thats what did them in. I am a big guy too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Just buy it

Mate, I purchased a Trance 1 about 2 months ago and have ridden it heaps (at the very least 2 times a week). I am not sure which bearings have been reported as failing (pivot or wheel) but frankly it would not matter much. I would happily just find something better to replace what is stock (after all they have to sacrifice a component or 2 to keep the price down)

I have thoroughly enjoyed riding this bike and had absolutely no problems what so ever.
    The riding I do is XC and trail rides.

I am 240lbs at 6'. I regularly do 2 foot drops comfortably and have yet to bottom out the suspension.

If you do end up purchasing the Trance, as a starting point I have found the rear suspension is best at 10 psi below your body weight in pounds and the fork pressure set by sag not the recommended pressure on the fork (Reba Race). I run 220 to 230 in the rear and 110 up front. That said US spec may vary from our Aussie specs Based on (07 spec)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the posts. Looks like this was a fluke in one guys bike since I haven't found anyone else with the problem. Hopefully this deal works out. The 13 year old Trek just doesn't cut it anymore!

I AM I AM
    The bearing problem was mainly for the 2005 models as the wrong type of bearing was specced by Giant, problem was rectified thereafter.

There is a whole thread on how to do a bearing replacement (written by Lynx), it may even be a sticky in the Giant forum.

So the problem is not a fluke but it's also not a problem in post 2005 models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks, this is a 2007. I can't wait-