mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Giant 29er P-XC2 wheelset Clydesdale Approved? (Broken Spokes)

Okay with just under a year and within 4 months I have broken 2 spokes while ridding in flat portion of the trails. Ive never had this issue before but this is my first 29er. I'm 6'8" and 280+\- depending on the weekend beer supply. Am I destened to have issues with these? Should I try to relace them or go another route? Ive looked at a set of Mavic Crossmax off a demo bike. Any input would be awesome. I cant drop $500 on a new set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    At 300 pounds you are straining that wheelset for all its worth. Yes you are gonna break spokes and collapse rims, yes you should upgrade to a much stronger wheel, if you can't afford that then just replace the spoke and start saving. At least you'll drop some weight in the process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What is a good wheelset you recommend? I had mavic cross trail on my 26" but they flexed a LOT! No tacos or popped spokes though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Being at that weight I would recommend getting a custom wheel build up, especially a rear if money is tight. Should be able to get a rear wheel for roughly $250 if I remember correctly, probably even cheaper. I know ebay has a lot of velocity blunt rims on XT and other hubs for around $350 for a set from Velomine. I've never used velomine but some people say they've had good luck with them. I'm 220 and ride the blunts pretty rough and they've held up well but the blunt 35's are beastly rims for XC use but I love them for something I just want to beat the snot out of with some 2.4" ardents.

I think getting a rear wheel at least is a good start for you, nothing less than 32 spokes (most mtb wheels are) and possibly consider 36 if you want to hit some rougher stuff.

Prowheelbuilder.com is a website I've heard good things about, Products has also received a lot of good words about building up custom orders for people on a budget. BWW has the wheels seperate by weight, I think they have a specific clyde build or enduro build that looked promising before I ended up with the blunt 35 on xt hub wheels that I have now.

Filling in the search terms for you (260lbs+) they come up with this set of wheels:Mavic A319 Shimano XT

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the great info!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you were going to build a set what do you recommend as far as rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WGK108 View Post
    Sun Ringle MTX33 (29er version) and I would recommend the Shimano M529 hubs over the XT M756 for a rider your size.

I just priced out a custom build at Universal Cycles dot com with silver DT Comp spokes and brass nipples for under $300

Bomber clyde wheelset
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WGK108 View Post
    Since rim weight isn't something you would probably be concerned about I would go for something like the blunt 35, the mavic mentioned, and similar wider all-mountain intended rims but use them for XC use. I think WTB just came out with a nice one that's well priced. The wider rims allow better spread of a tire effectively making it wider which us bigger guys will want for the added payload alone with the added benefit of getting better traction over skinnier tires.

DT swiss has a few but I'm less familiar with their offerings, Pacenti has some nice looking rims, the TL28 is one i was looking into for racing. They're pretty good about answering questions on what would work so I would shoot them a message or call them up.

One big thing about getting some wheels build up is the build quality/builder choice. If given the choice an experienced builder is usually the safest way to go to get a solid build going. Not to knock bike shops from building wheels but they just build a lot less wheels generally.

Shooting out a message to some of the wheel builder websites should help out some, hub strength, as mentioned by Bike Whisperer, could come into play at your weight. I've never had hub breakage issues but Ive heard of some larger gents breaking hub shells and flanges especially you start bombing down some trails. I just murder spokes on lesser wheels.

A velocity dually may be a bombproof rim that would be overkill. I know a guy that's about your size, I think, running them on his fatbike for summer use with 2.4 ardents I let him borrow for testing out. They're not a budget option though as I think the rims are north of $100 each.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The kinlin XD-280 might be a very solid rim. Here's the listing for it on bikehubstore.com but kinlins are in many places as a good generic aluminum brand with a good assortment of options for budget builds.

XD-280 Clincher MTB Disc Rim - 28mm Wide, 25mm Deep - 29"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Now I'm guessing I need ahead and sat with 36 spoke sets or possibly 40?

Yeah since I've gone 29 I tend to rid much harder. I have already broken one frame on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    36 spokes should be about right I would think. Probably many more options these days. Many options for 32 spokes. Since you'll need to do a custom build, most likely, at that point it wouldn't hurt to discuss your needs with the person that's going to build the wheel. I've had about 8 sets built for me in the past so I have a really good idea of what I'm looking for with mine but my first pair or two I gave a list of what I wanted from the wheels and the builder recommended options. Basically I would tell them my weight what I wanted to use it for or what qualities I wanted prioritized, wheel's weight, durability, and cost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ok. I'd love to do a set of 32 spoke but when I went to one of the sites it wouldn't even let me use a 32 for my wight.

Okay. Without breaking the bank and having a 15mm axel looks like XT hubs are the only 36 spoke option. Any thoughts on these? Sorry about all the questions but no one around my arear can relate to my weight issues.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've had good luck with all shimano hubs, they're just not light. Some people have had bad experiences but I think it's relative to the number that are out there since shimano hubs are stock on a lot of bikes.

I've heard hope pro hubs lasting well under heavy riders as well which is also available in 36h. A bit more money though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I looked at the hope hubs but they are $100+. At least with the shimano hubs parts are easy to come by.