mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Ghost shifting under load

Ok I've got a new jones diamond frame with a 8 speed gear cluster and a triple front (I'm in houston, don't need a lot of range). I'm currently running a sunrace 9 speed rear der. (I nuked my slx shadow on my first ride, when mud got caught in the chain and ripped the sucker right off!) Rear hub is a 10mm thru axle, so I know nothing is moving back there. It seems to be the worst when am in the middle range and it doesn't matter what front ring I'm on. It seems to do it when I'm coasting for a while and then start pedaling. It seems to skip a beat then 'catch/shift/catch' and I'm off to the races. It didn't seem to do it so bad on the shadow derailleur but both this one and the LX I had on there it is pretty bad. I don't get much chain slap either with this current derailleur. I'm 250 and kind of a masher, but I do unload when I shift (don't want a broken chain). It even does it when I ride with my wife on the street. (though if I keep the torque light it doesn't seem to do it as much).

Any thoughts? Is my chain too long/b adjust screw/more play with the barrel nut, I'm at a loss. My LBS can't seem to get it to do it for him when they ride it, it's very frustrating being a clyde sometimes...

Thanks, Worldskipper

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I sometimes have that behavior when I need to tweak the barrel at the shifter to add a bit more tension, usually 2-3 turns will get it - unless you're already at the adjust limit of the barrel, then you'll want to back it in all the way and reset the tension on the derailleur side by loosening the retaining bolt on the cable with it shifter to the smallest cog, pull the slack out of the cable and tighten the nut again, doing this may require some tweaks to the hi/lo limit screws on the derailleur to set the stop limits.
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Mixing and matching your gear parts probably isn't helping. What shifter are you using to move the rear mech? Is that an 8 speed or 9 speed shifter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Worn / mismatched drivetrain components, mis-adjustment or rear hub pawls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Using a set of 8 speed alivio trigger shifters, gear cluster has about 50 miles on it and the chain is new (kmc x8.99).

I will check the tension on the shifter thanks!