Clydeosaur

Getting ready to go 29 - a couple of clyde-worthy options

Hey Everybody,

Haven't been on in awhile. Riding tapered off a bit with a new kid and everybody trading that nasty ick that's been going around. But I'm back on my little city bike again and getting in some miles when I can.

Part of that motivation is the thought that I need a nice, shiny new 29er. Admittedly I'll be rolling on asphalt most of the time but I'm working my way back to dirt & mud. And I'm a big clyde.

I've been researching and narrowed it down to the following options:

#1 - Redline d440 - thought about going ss but in my shape I want/need the gears. I live in south florida so one ring should be fine and it makes the bike that much simpler. I wish they still had the copper '08 in stock but the black seems alright. Downside - haven't ridden it since nobody down here seems to carry them in stock. LBS quote was $600 for a 2009.

#2 - Kona Smoke 29er - relatively newfound entry in my research. I've always loved Konas, it has a steel frame, and well it's a Kona. It's technically a "city bike" but reviews seem to indicate it will work on the trails as well. I think they run in the $400- $500 range.

#3 - GT Peace 29er - kind of a far off contender. Again, can't find any to try locally. I'd love to take advantage of the performance deal but I don't live in VA anymore and performance must be allergic to florida. Factoring in shipping and it's in the same range as the redline.

So there are my thoughts. I'm still pretty much in the redline camp but the smoke is interesting.

Anybody have any thoughts/reviews/etc they'd care to share?

Thanks!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I have yet to see anyone say anything bad about the Redline D440. Just about anyone who owns one *loves* it - including a large number of clydes. I happen to own a GT Peace 9r Multi and really like the bike, but, as you mentioned, with shipping costs, etc., the price difference would be negligible, so the Redline might be the way to go.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    where in FL are you?
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Clydeosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    where in FL are you?
    Broward - Ft. Lauderdale area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Do you ride Marham Park (SP?)

Plus size jersey model
    Have you considered the Haro Mary. I have had mine for a year and love it.

Clydeosaur
    Hi everybody,

thanks for the responses.

Skinner - I haven't ridden markham yet. I'm still getting back into shape on a fisher city/comfort bike. My old paramount and my old (never ridden offroad) stumpjumper have been waiting for me to get around to it though. Of course now I have the 20 bug.

sikwood - i looked at the mary but they're a bit more than i want to spend right now.

I think the d440 is going to be ordered today and hopefully ridden next week.

Clydeosaur
    And the redline was ordered yesterday!

Hopefully by Thursday I'll be rolling 29's.

Plus size jersey model
    The D440 should be a sweet ride. Steel 29ers are sweet. A few guys here in town have SS redline and really like them especially at there price points.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the redline and Im 270. I upgraded a few parts due to the area I live in. The stock seat was the first thing to go. Since I climb a lot of hills I had to have three chainrings, so I installed a set of Race Face xc, along with a front derailure and shifter. Since what goes up must go down the BB5's with 160 rotors just werent cutting it. I cant believe that my LBS didnt take one look at me and at the brakes that came on the bike and recommend that I upgrade them at least to bigger rotors. If safety is a concern do yourself a favor now and order the Hayes Nine, 8" front 7" rear. They are only 49 apiece and it was worth every penny. Overall the bike is very capable. It loves the sand and cruises right through it. It climbs as good as anyone else on the trail. The only thing that limits this bike is the user. Decending is a comfortable. It would descibe it as a nice steady flowing platform. While it is not a DH rig it will roll over the bumps. The one last upgrade that I need to find is a 30mm quick release seatpost. This is a must have where I live and I can not find one to save my life. The last think that I really apreciate about this bike is the Sanko tubing...sweetttt. If you like steel the Sanko leaves nothing to be desired. It asorbs a lot of shock.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by super_fly
    And the redline was ordered yesterday!

Hopefully by Thursday I'll be rolling 29's.
    Make sure to post a few pics of your new ride when you get it!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    so ya get it yet?

ride it a bit before you decide to upgrade anything... I also live in FL... it's a bit more hilly here... a single BB7 disc up front will make a HUGE difference... that is if you feel you need it...

the saddle may well be not right for you... I find it a little to wide in the nose when I was spending lots of time on the road... I recently swapped it onto my main MTB (the redline stays on the road most of the time these days) and found the redline velo saddle to be about perfect for me... I've got the bike setup a bit more upright and the saddle just works perfectly for me... honestly comming from the other saddle to the velo was night and day... i'll prob stockpile a few here soon... I expect to bend the rails eventually haha

for the front shifty bits... it's easy to do... but all depends on how/where you ride... I'm not that strong of a rider so I need the granny to grunt my way up some of the hills (like I said it is pretty hilly here for FL)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Clydeosaur
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    so ya get it yet?
    Almost...

The shop didn't have any in stock when I ordered it so we took a guess at the size. Wrong guess. Oh well, I'm going to Sanibel for some fishing this weekend so no riding.

Ordered the L, need the M. The L rode well enough but there was 0 clearance between me & the top bar. Maybe even negative clearance.

I have that gorilla build - 6'2" but with a 31ish inseam and a long torso. The cockpit felt good though and I enjoyed the time I spent riding it around the parking lot making sure it didn't fit.

So hopefully next week!

I won't be switching anything out right away but I'm guessing the saddle will be first on the list. I don't see adding the front rings to it. The 8 speed was one of the attractive features to me. Otherwise I would have looked at the peace multi a bit closer.

Brakes? We'll see how the v brakes go. I'd imagine they'll be fine for awhile but I'll see how it goes.

The vulpines seemed to ride nicely and I think they'll be great for the road. I'm going to try and give it a dirt ride at Quiet Waters park (across the street from the shop) the day I pick it up.

Needless to say I can't wait for next week!

Donalson - I'll look for the redline velo. Also how about the WTB Pure V? That's recommended in this forum frequently from what I recall?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    good... sounds like you've got a great shop... I prob would have fit a tad better on a size smaller... shortish torso compared to the legs...

ya for flatter trails the 34t up front was fine... when trails got a tad steeper I needed that 32t... eventualy added the granny also which was nice for me... the brakes also where nice to upgrade when things got a bit steeper (or when it got wet out)... like I said... for FL the most you'll realy need is a disc up front if that.

the velpines do look like a good hard pack/road tire...

for the saddle... the Velo is the stock one... it just happens to fit me fairly well, the wide scaloped tale is what does it for me... if ya don't like it LMK and i'll buy it from ya for cheap so I have a backup haha

saddle is very personal choice... but the WTB line seems to have a number of clyd friendly models
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie