mtbr member
    Apr 2013

getting back into riding but confused

Many years since I've ridden much (key word is MANY). I am 6'8" tall and 245 lbs (one of the reasons to start riding!)

My riding will be gravel roads/blacktop/limestone trails...not going to be hardcore - this is in part for fitness

I have 2 bikes:
    huge Trek 870 steel frame - crack in bottom bracket
    27" frame cannondale ST800 AL touring bike
    (yes, this is a rare 27" frame...and the wheels are 27" too)

wheels on Cannondale don't handle my weight - blow them out of true quickly and tires too narrow to feel good on gravel

So...do I sell the old touring frame (seems to be a market) for a few bucks and buy a XXL 29er..add road tires...call it good?

I'd like to spend around $550-700 on this. What XXL bikes are out there...and are they big enough for a 6'8" guy?

Thanks for any insights.

BTW, any suggestions on where to sell the huge Cannondale touring frame? Is there a 'bike swap' site or something?

Keith

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by WIBigBoy View Post
    Many years since I've ridden much (key word is MANY). I am 6'8" tall and 245 lbs (one of the reasons to start riding!)

My riding will be gravel roads/blacktop/limestone trails...not going to be hardcore - this is in part for fitness

I have 2 bikes:
    huge Trek 870 steel frame - crack in bottom bracket
    27" frame cannondale ST800 AL touring bike
    (yes, this is a rare 27" frame...and the wheels are 27" too)

wheels on Cannondale don't handle my weight - blow them out of true quickly and tires too narrow to feel good on gravel

So...do I sell the old touring frame (seems to be a market) for a few bucks and buy a XXL 29er..add road tires...call it good?

I'd like to spend around $550-700 on this. What XXL bikes are out there...and are they big enough for a 6'8" guy?

Thanks for any insights.

BTW, any suggestions on where to sell the huge Cannondale touring frame? Is there a 'bike swap' site or something?

Keith
    Surly makes a couple of touring bikes in your size.

The Ogre comes in HUGE (or as Surly calls it - SuperGiant) via a size 24" frame. You can set it up however you want. Drop bars, flat bars, road tires, hybrid tires, mountain bike tires, disc brakes, linear brakes - with racks and fenders or without.

The Long Haul Trucker (or Disc Trucker) both come in size 64cm which would fit you.

You could get into both of those for around $1299 - $1500.

Budget may be your limiting factor to get a size "I'm BIG" bike that truly fits and will have you out there riding. For the budget you mention, you might have to shop for used in size Super Big. And then it's all a matter of luck finding something that fits and will serve your needs. However, this would be the forum to ask around for any used bikes that might fit you and are available for sale.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I know it isn't an Ogre...

Thanks Bruce. I've looked at the Ogre...but have to figure out whether I can pull the trigger on $1500. A bit of a stretch right now.

If I can get a little cash for the Cannondale, that helps.

I know from reading these forums that people are usualyl on one end of the spectrum on Motobecane BD bikes...so not trying to start a dust-up over that...but I've notice a couple of Motobecane bikes in 23" like this:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO
    or this:
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Fantom 29PRO
    at $900 and $700 respectively.
    I know this isn't the same as a Surly...and maybe that is short-sighted of me...but does a 23" work? At $700 I could get some nice road tires and any accessories I might want.

I suppose I need to try to find actual frame geometry comparisons, right?

K

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WIBigBoy View Post
    I've looked at the Ogre...but have to figure out whether I can pull the trigger on $1500. A bit of a stretch right now.
    I had the same problem, so I talked it out with a bike shop and got them to build up a frame with sub-spec components, plus whatever I could salvage off the ancient MTB I'd had for the previous ten years.

A direct price comparison doesn't help because Australian retailers charge amounts that would make you weep, but I saved about a grand in US dollars going that way.

It sounds like you've got a stack of components you can strip to build up a Frankensurly, so maybe look into getting the Ogre frame and working up from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I also ride a 27" Cannondale frame - lilac is such a great colour for a big frame.

A 23" mountain bike is right up your street (I'm 6'7" and 250) and would suit you fine. You could always get some new wheels for the Cannondale - something a bit more cyclocross / touring. I've not moved the wheels I got for my Cannondale in over a year. Look very carefully at modern road frame sizes if you go that way. The Soma ES looks to be one of the few close enough at 66cm (Cannondale being 72cm trad geometry).
    Your size on gravel etc? A 23" 29er would likely do you fine. Put some fast rolling tyres on it and call it good.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    http://www.vintagecannondale.com/year/1987/1987.pdf

the c'dale is a touring bike not an off road bike but I think some decent wheels/tires on it would turn it into something pretty impressive... stock it came with 27x 1.25 and fenders so you've got room for more tire...

if the canondale fits you I'd have to say keep it and ride it... get some decent 700c 36 spoke wheels and fit the largest tires in there that you can... the 700c wheels should allow a larger tire as long as c'dale gave you room for the width... the canti's should have enough adjustment to work well...

then again being that old of a frame it may be a bit more difficult to find a good hub in the right spacing :-/... but perhaps even after building one up and upgrading a few tidbits on the bike (i'm a big fan of barcons on drop bars) I think it'd likely be a very good option
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie