Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Getting back into it

586 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bignateb 
#1 ·
I've been off the bike for about 4 years. The problem is I don't know what bike to get, I've been eyeing a 09 Kona Hoss and almost got my bike shop to order me one today. Is this a good choice? I am 278 lbs about 6'1" and out of shape as of now. I love riding and used to do it all of the time, but I kept going through cranks and just slowly got away from it. If any one has any ideas or thinks the hoss will be the bike for me please let me know. It will be for around town and some trail riding, about 50/50. I am not in to the Full Susp so those are out. Thanks

#6 ·
Yep, the Hoss is a good option.

You may want to look into whether the LBS is willing to swap out the fork for you. It comes with 20mm hubs so a Rock Shox Pike with Air U-Turn would be nice in the 110mm setting.

JensonUSA has a really good deal on a 100mm travel Manitou Minute with 20mm through axle if the bike shop can give you a discount to get the bike minus fork.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK301A03-Manitou+Minute+Elite+Tpc+08.aspx

I have the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper fork on my Kona Stuff and its great for dirt jumping and a very stiff fork, however the damping is not right for a trail bike.

#7 ·
Yeh, the Hoss sounds like a good pick.

Other important factors include...
1) Buying from a store near-by so it's easy to get to when you need parts.
2) Buying from a store that regularly services mountain bikes. I had some problems with getting things done the right way at an intown store in Atlanta. They were so used to cruisers and roadies, they didn't understand us mtb folks.

#8 ·
Thanks for all of the advice, I'm stuck now, the 20" frame is out of stock at Kona and will take 3 weeks to order it. I've been trying to track down a bike shop that had one in stock but no luck. I found one shop with a 18" and a 22" but no 20" So the search continues, the bike shops i'm calling now are 120+ miles away. Thats a distance to pick up a bike.

#10 ·
I'm a 315# clyde.. I've had a very good experience with my 2008 Haro Escape Sport.. the frame is BEEF... really solid, thick as hell, and durable.. has taken a beating so far and the only sucky part has been that mines is white and the dirt and scratches show! Take a look around online, the frame is damn strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.