Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FYI: Big Grips for Big Hands

13K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  RideEverything 
#1 ·
I thought I'd pass along some info that will help out those who are well endowed in the hand department. If you have large to huge hands these grips will help.

I just picked up a pair of the new Chromag Squarewave XL grips. These grips are huge! They are longer than any grip that I've come across as well as having a large diameter. There is a bulge through the middle of the grips where your palm rests on them to make them more comfortable.
I'm running these on my full susser.
Chromag Bikes - Squarewave XL

The other grips that fall into the large category are the RaceFace Strafe grips. These have a large diameter as well. They also come in a multitude of colours. So, you can get all matchy-matchy with your bike coordination!
I'm running these grips on my HT.
Race Face

I am not affiliated with either of these companies other than that they are both situated in BC, Canada where I reside. In fact, Chromag HQ is just down the road from where I live in Whistler.
I am just passing along some info about two of my favourite grips. I'm looking out for my fellow giants!

I highly recommend getting larger grips if your hands cramp quickly while out on the bike. The cramping and soreness could be caused by riding grips that are to small in diameter.

I know that ODI and Oury both make larger diameter grips but I've moved on from those and found my favourites.

Cheers!

See less See more
#3 ·
The Squarewave XL's are substantially bigger than the Rogues.
Size wise I'd say in order of big to biggest it's Rogue -> RF Strafe -> Squarewave XL.

I'm unsure of where the Oury grips would fit into that list because it has been a very long time since I've used them. Although, when I was in at Chromag buying the Squarewave XL's the staff said that they have the same outside diameter (OD) as the Oury's but that with the bump through the middle of the grip on the XL's they were bigger through that area.

The added bonus of bigger grips is that they dampen the trail chatter that is transferred to your hands. I really notice the effect on my hardtail because the fork isn't that great. On my fully I'm running carbon bars as well as the XL's so the ride is super smooth through the hands!

Reactions: DriverB
#5 ·
Rouge grips are still too small for me. The Ergon GA1 has a fat section in the grip that helps, but I haven't found a standard round-ish grip that is truly fat enough for my XXL meathooks.

For that reason, I have been most satisfied with the ergonomic style grips that have the bat-wing like protrusion for my palm to rest on. The Ergon GP1, GX1, and GS1, and the Specialized Contour XL are the some of the ones I have had success with. There are others whose brand/model names escape me right now.

#9 ·
Just got a set of the Cromag Squarewave XL's . I wear 2XL gloves and ride 800mm bars.
I came off of Oury Clamp On grips which I have 3 sets as I thought I would never change. These SWXL grips are a great improvement due to the bulge in the center and the added width. Much more comfortable.

#14 ·
I just put some Squarewave XLs on my bike...these are the real deal.

I have massive hands, XXL doesn't cut it. My moto gloves are all XXXL or XYL, and even those can be tight. I used to run Oury's, Rogues, then I went to Ergons as I got more commuter and XC oriented for a few years. I ended up on an ECR and went for the ESI Extra Chunkies...nice size, but never really liked the total lack of traction features.

As I become more of an all mountain/enduro/hardcore trail guy again, I was looking for the right grip. Tried Ergons enduro grip...no thanks. Way to skinny, even in the full size version and truly the slipperiest when wet grip I've ever used. Those just came off for the Chromag.

Back when I was a BMX kid getting new grips every season was like getting a new bike. I feel like that again. These things fill my hands like no MTB grip ever has, they're a nice squishy but still solid compound, and the tacky, with enough texture to stay that way when wet. The length is nice, as is the subtle palm swell. I had to re-position my levers to accommodate the length.

HIGHLY recommended for the fists like clenched volkswagens crew.

#15 ·
Have any of you measured the outside diameter of the Squarewave XLs? How many millimeters?

I started a thread a couple years ago, looking for recommendations for big grips, and got a lot reponses saying that ODI Rogues, Raceface Strafes, North Shore Lizard Skins, ESI Extra Chunky, and Oury Lock-Ons were all "the biggest." So I ordered them all.

Turns out, everybody was wrong, they're all 33mm, and there are a couple options at 34 and 35mm. But 2mm difference isn't much:

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/recommend-me-some-big-grips-635435.html#post7123150

If the Squarewave XLs are also 33mm, I'll pass. :)

I'm really looking for something in the 40mm-45mm range, but I don't think that exists.

#19 ·
Another vote for the Chromags. I've had them on my main bike for two seasons and they've held up incredibly well. I'm only in the large category for hands but I usually wear out grips over the course of a single season. I just remarked to a couple buddies after a ride last Thursday that my squarewaves still look almost new. Well, except for all the marks on the endcaps where I misjudged how close I was to a tree.

#21 ·
Great thread. My hands always cramp up on any ride more than a couple miles long. I wear XXXL gloves yet never thought to look for a larger diameter grip. I'll be placing my order for the Chromags in the next couple minutes.

#22 ·
In the past 6 months I have tried ergons, oury's, spec BG, and many different others. Today was my first 2+ hour ride with no hand numbness.

The solution? Standard clamp ons with a single wrap of bar tape, around 38-40 mil. No slip, a little cushion, and a great fit for big mitts. I just took some grips I had and wrapped them like the top of a road bar with some normal padded bar wrap. I am happy!

#24 ·
I thought I'd pass along some info that will help out those who are well endowed in the hand department. If you have large to huge hands these grips will help.

I just picked up a pair of the new Chromag Squarewave XL grips. These grips are huge! They are longer than any grip that I've come across as well as having a large diameter. There is a bulge through the middle of the grips where your palm rests on them to make them more comfortable.
I'm running these on my full susser.
Chromag Bikes - Squarewave XL

The other grips that fall into the large category are the RaceFace Strafe grips. These have a large diameter as well. They also come in a multitude of colours. So, you can get all matchy-matchy with your bike coordination!
I'm running these grips on my HT.
Race Face

I am not affiliated with either of these companies other than that they are both situated in BC, Canada where I reside. In fact, Chromag HQ is just down the road from where I live in Whistler.
I am just passing along some info about two of my favourite grips. I'm looking out for my fellow giants!

I highly recommend getting larger grips if your hands cramp quickly while out on the bike. The cramping and soreness could be caused by riding grips that are to small in diameter.

I know that ODI and Oury both make larger diameter grips but I've moved on from those and found my favourites.

Do the Chromag grips work with odi clamps?

#27 ·
I used Chunkys for years. They used to be easier to get on, but they didn't quite "stay put" (for me). Tended to migrate slowly. Recent batches are a PITA to get on, but don't go anywhere. They also don't seem quite as soft IMO, but slightly more durable (less likely to rip). Currently addicted to Ergon GE-1s.

#29 ·
Look at my post above. The Extra Long (6.75 inch) Extra Chunky grips will blow your mind. I bought with intention to cut them down , but every time I ride them I find new reasons not to cut them. On a set of 800 mm bars they give you so many options on hand placement that I never have anymore hand issues and the cushion is perfect .
On a bar well under 800 they could be a bit cramped by pushing controls too far inside.
But if your a big guy why would you be on anything less than 800?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.