mtbr member
    May 2013

Future Clyde looking to buy a bike for under $1,000. Suggestions?

Hey everyone! Glad to have found this forum.
    I'm 6'4" @ 260lbs and i was looking to buy my first bike.
    I've asked around and 3 bikes are currently catching my eye based on recommendations and the research i've done so far:

The Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4, the Specialized Rockhopper 29, and the Trek Mamba.

Im currently leaning towards the Mamba, but the Rockhopper has been mentioned more than a few times(despite claims of a weak fork which im reading online)

Would you fine folks care to offer some help? Thanks everyone!

turtles make me hot
    The Rockhopper Comp and the Trek come with a SLIGHTLY better fork than the Cannondale.
    In my opinion, all of these bikes look a little light for someone 260 pounds...
    One of my friends has the Rockhopper. He only weighs 160 pounds and even at his weight, the tires that came on it are really narrow for our trails. I just built him a pair of Arches and put a tubeless 2.3 up front. It's like night and day.
    Is your budget around 1000 dollars?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think i'd feel most comfortable spending $800-900, but i could allow myself up to $1000 if a killer deal comes along on a bike that is generally more expensive. Also, just to clarify im mostly just looking to do trail riding and not necessarily anything too extreme. Obviously i'd like to be able to handle whatever would come my way on a trail though.

turtles make me hot
    Airborne Bicycles. Goblin

I like this way better. Would you be able to assemble this yourself?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sadly no i wouldn't. A friend might be able to do it since he has done road bikes in the past, but i dont know how much shared knowledge there is between road bikes and MTBs.

What exactly do you find better about that bike as opposed to the others? if im not mistaken the fork looks like an air suspension. what else is there?

turtles make me hot
    Everything on it is a step up from the other bikes. The fork, brakes and rims is a biggie.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Bike building is super easy. I built my current bike. Only specialty tool I needed was a bottom bracket wrench and I had to have the headset pressed at my LBS. But a complete bike will be probably 75% assembled, you just just to finish it off and get it tuned.

As far as the RockHopper, I rode one two years at 300+ pounds. Wheels needed trued now and then but the bike help up just fine. I'd not hesitate to recommend it to someone 260 pounds. The Dart 2 fork on mine stock did suck though. I replaced that and the bike became a very capable machine.

Super Clyde

Future Clyde looking to buy a bike for under $1,000. Suggestions?

I don't know about the fork on the Trek and Connondale, but I know the fork is a major weak point on the Rockhopper. By the time you upgrade the fork, you are at the same money as the Goblin. For the money the Goblin seems like a great deal. The only thing that gives me pause is you are buying it sight unseen. That's a lot of money, for me anyway, to send out on something I've never seen or touched.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    If your looking into the airborne but the goblin is a bit too pricey the Guardian is an awesome bike for the money!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I don't know about the fork on the Trek and Connondale, but I know the fork is a major weak point on the Rockhopper. By the time you upgrade the fork, you are at the same money as the Goblin. For the money the Goblin seems like a great deal. The only thing that gives me pause is you are buying it sight unseen. That's a lot of money, for me anyway, to send out on something I've never seen or touched.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    i agree. to my knowledge i dont think anyone in my area is carrying a goblin and on top of that, that is pretty far above my price range considering i still have to purchase accessories(helmet, car rack, etc.)
    I will keep my eyes peeled on a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherGoose831 View Post
    If your looking into the airborne but the goblin is a bit too pricey the Guardian is an awesome bike for the money!
    i'll look into it, thanks.

turtles make me hot
    The Guardian is right in line with the first three bikes you listed above. It's just cheaper.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I am going to sound like a broken record but I was absolutely blown away with the Guardian! Airborne has great customer service too which is always a HUGE plus for any company and they actually honor their 30 day satisfaction guarantee!

Let us know what your thinking!!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    spend a little more, get a better bike. In the long run, a cheaper bike will end up costing you more in repairs and upgrades.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    You will definitely get more for your money if you go the online route (Airborne, Bikesdirect, Pricepoint, etc.) but only consider it if you're absolutely confident in your ability to size yourself and wrench on your bike. If not, find an LBS that focuses on fit and get the bike that most appeals to you. Gigantic gives good advice - spend any upgrade money you were holding back into the bike purchase itself because it goes a lot farther. Otherwise, don't fall into a trap that a lot of new and seasoned riders do (including myself here) and treat this bike purchase as a spec sheet optimization problem. It's not, and any of niner hardtails you are considering at this price point are going to do fine on the trails (though you may want to spring for a decent air fork or the proper spring for your weight with a coil fork). You, as a new rider, are going to be the weak link for a while. And when that is no longer the case, upgrade!

Good luck.