mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Full Susser for Clyde???

Hi Guys,

New to the forum, first time post.

I'm a clyde. Currently about 275Lbs, was nearer 375 when i started riding.

I am thinking of changing / upgrading my bike.

I want a full susser, capable of holding my weight, enough travel to not bottom out on drops etc due to weight, for use on trail centres in UK and maybe a bit of all mountain on continent.

Im limited budget wise so would be probably looking at an older spec bike off of fleabay or here or pinkbike etc.

I'm 6ft 2, 30/31 inside leg, 275lbs + kit so about 285lbs ride weight. Need something stiff, don't care so much about weight of bike, need it to be up to the job. Stiff fork with good amount of travel to stop bottoming it out etc.

Cheers
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Kozian; 06-11-2014 at 06:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I would suggest the kona process..i have last years model the orange one. iam 6'1 345 and have had great luck with it , love the bike zero problems .. the 2 things I did was change out the RS monarch on rear for a fox vanillia with a 750 coil and went to heavy springs on the front and added a aftermarket air cartridge and the thing is stout. Rode hard with it last summer including many trips to a Bike park with no problem , also felt hell of a lot better about the bike when all the rentals at the park were the same bike.

mtbr member

Full Susser for Clyde???

Hi Steve:
    Any of the current crop of all-mountain bikes should suit you. I tried out a Specialized Enduro, Rocky Mountain Slayer, a GT Force 3, and a Devinci Dixon and they all handled my weight once the suspension was properly aired up. I ended up picking the Dixon and have been thrilled with it. I'm 6'1" and 300lb so you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    I was assured that the Cannondale Scalpel and Rush would be perfectly fine with my weight of 255. I'm sure that the other FS Cannondales would be too since they are even burlier. I'm not on a FS bike yet. That'll be my next bike purchase but probably not for a year or two unless I come across a great deal on a closeout or something.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anything from Kona. They have a lifetime frame warranty and top shelf customer service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was right around your height and weight when I started out, got myself a '13 Specialized Camber comp, it has handled everything I have thrown at it FWIW

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    After many long hours of research and reading reviews, I concluded that a Banshee Prime would be a very good choice for big dudes. Cane Creek Double Barrel with coil shock and a RS Pike fork, along with a nice wheelset and stiff crank would be a killer clyde setup. Nice part is you can buy the frame and build it up as your heart desires.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    After many long hours of research and reading reviews, I concluded that a Banshee Prime would be a very good choice for big dudes. Cane Creek Double Barrel with coil shock and a RS Pike fork, along with a nice wheelset and stiff crank would be a killer clyde setup. Nice part is you can buy the frame and build it up as your heart desires.

I think your over thinking things. Most bikes can take more punishment than you know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I'm 6'2", 260 lbs, and the bike I built up for when I was 275 - 300 is a KHS 204C. Still works great although it is a lot heavier than my Marin XC8. It is very strong. Both are full suspension and my old hardtail has been converted to a 26" gravel bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I think your over thinking things. Most bikes can take more punishment than you know.
    I am glad you have an opinion. Just because it can take "punishment" doesn't mean it is a good bike. My old huffy probably had more miles being ghost ridden than with me on it, and it never broke. Does that mean it is a nice bike?

I look for a bike that we overbuilt and performs well being ridden hard by a large rider. Not a bike that will tolerate that type of use, but really wasn't designed to do so.

mtbr member
    In my experience, its not so much the frame you have to be worried about. Its the components, especially the wheels.

Most all-moutain/enduro frames will be capable of taking the abuse of a bigger rider, just make sure that you get TOUGH rims, double butted spokes, BRASS not alloy nipples, and quality hubs. also, springing for a more expensive cassette that has a solid body(not individual chainrings like on cheaper cassettes) will keep you from destroying your freehub body on your rear hub. A pair of good brakes to slow the mass adequately and you should be good.

Make sure you frequently check your pivot bolts and such, as the amount of torsional force a 285 lb rider pedalling out of the saddle is substantially more than your XC weight weenies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What do you mean "we"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

And yes, I have an opinion too. Are you a "Clydesdale"? As someone who is 6'2" and weighs 260, the most important thing, in my opinion, is to get out and ride. The wheels will take the most punishment and will likely need to re-tensioned or trued up. Ride what you have and upgrade when you can. Beware of "experts", because they will find all kinds of reasons you need to buy something before you can get out and ride a friggin' bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryElf View Post
    Are you a "Clydesdale"? As someone who is 6'2" and weighs 260. The wheels will take the most punishment and will likely need to re-tensioned or trued up.
    I think you are responding to me, so I will answer. Yes, I am a clydesdale, check out previous threads I created to reference the destruction I have caused. I have logged over 3000 miles on bikes in the last 3 years, and have broken just about everything on a bike that I can.

There are a lot more design aspects to consider when looking a full squish vs. HT. Suspension design, Leverage ratio, materials, and design intent are very important.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Hi JonsHonda, I've read most of your posts know that you have a great deal of experience and knowledge to offer. I also know that sometimes your posts are misconstrued and or misunderstood. You are correct in that there is a lot more to consider when looking at the full suspension mountain bike for a larger than average human. I myself have just replaced the 24 spoke stock wheels on my Marin XC8 to 32 spoke wheels.

My goal was to get the OP out and riding. The hardest part of riding, for me anyway, is getting out the door. Once I'm out the door, its great and fun and better than I expected. Always. Anyway, I appreciate your comments and understand what you were saying. Good advice.