mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Full Suspension for a super clyde?

What do you recommend for a super (fat) clyde rider when it comes to full suspension, ideally all mountain or dh? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Niner WFO or Lenz Behomoth.
    "Boldly they rode & well, into the jaws of death, into the mouth of hell, rode the 600"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry i should have mentioned somewhat affordable

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    You should also mention weight. Clyde and superclyde mean different things to different folks.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Why FS? If you're a superclyde working on getting in shape, you're probably not going to be shredding on a single track. I'd stick to a hard tale and work off some weight.
    You really need to give us more info on what riding you're going to be doing and what you're looking for.
    Sadly, "somewhat affordable" for ueber Clydes just doesn't exist.
    I'd recommend starting with a good wheel set and going from there.

Good luck.
    "Boom"........"Regard me".

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I already have a very nice ht and it has held up flawlessly somehow. I am huge 375 and riding I guess would be all mountain/single track.

mtbr member
    Oh, sweet. You're rolling strong! What's your budget? How tall are you?
    If you're looking at a 29er I'd look for a used WFO or something with 140mm travel to try to keep the cost down.
    Without knowing your budget it's difficult to recommend bikes. Maybe a cookie cutter bike like the Rumblefish or Spesh EVO.

If you can swing an EVO around $4k that should hold your weight. I'd still be worried on All Mountain trails with the Roval wheels at your weight. I'm 290 and my EVZ is holding up quite well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not 100% on the budget yet but not too much, looking used for sure. To save some cash I am thinking I might go with a frame being that I have great parts to do a build up. If I use the parts I have now then I would need to stay around the 5"-5 1/2" travel area so that it matches my forks. I ride very hard AM now (obviously dont climb worth a crap) and my current bike has never skipped a beat. I feel stupid in saying this being that I am huge but for my mammoth size I do ride "light".

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    hey guys hate to highjack this thread..but bunyan you think a rumblefish is ok for that weight ...iam 6'1 355 and looking at that and been getting different opinions on it mostly in the negative ..in this fourm

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i need to get more familiar with this rumblefish. Is that the make?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nevermind I found it. I may get another Giant Faith I had one when I was 480lbs and the LBS found a spring that supported me, it just pedaled like crap.

mtbr member
    Usually, the frame is the last to go. Wheels, hubs, seat collars, chains and who knows what else is affected by large Clyde's.
    If you're looking for burley I'd also check out the Turner Sultan.
    Motorider, make sure to upload some vids of you thrashing some AM!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I will be headed to Aptos (santa cruz mountains) in about 5 weeks, I will get video then. I will be the fat guy doing what a fat guy shouldnt be doing on a bike. Lol

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tmhar28 View Post
    hey guys hate to highjack this thread..but bunyan you think a rumblefish is ok for that weight ...iam 6'1 355 and looking at that and been getting different opinions on it mostly in the negative ..in this fourm
    In short.... I don't think so. You would be WAY over max pressure on the fox rear shock. Both Niner and Turner both claim to have no weight limits on their frames, so I would look to one of those.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Heckler. Good bullet proof single pivot bike.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Im 6'1" 290lbs and I have a Trek FS that I ride. Looking back on it now I probably would of bought a hard tail instead of my FS. I love riding it still on the trails but I honestly feel like im always pushing the rear shock to the max even when only on pavement.

Laughable Man...haaaa
    Started at a similar weight but I am down to around 260-270 range now. To answer some of the recommendations and questions here I can share my own experience.

I'm riding a Specialized Stumpy FSR Comp with the Float CTD shock and have actually bottomed the shock on some gnarly up and down motocross-like whoop sections. On "downhill" mode with no drops or whoop spections I typically use about 75% travel and the bike with its geometry responds best to a rider that can be smooth and make the hits "soft" by absorbing hits with legs and body or choosing lines carefully. Any drops or real hits ala AM riding will likely be answered with a bottomed out shock and fear that you just hurt your brand new $3500 FS bike.

I love my new bike and came off a HT but I know it has a limit until I reach a lower weight. At 275lbs Specialized stops telling me that the bike is OK with me on it. I am sure that is conservative on their part but they do not know how I ride. Luckily its VERY conservatively and always aware of my size.

Good luck with the search. FS has made my riding enjoyable and given new confidence.
    I see you rolled your way into the Semi's...Dios Mio Man...