mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Full suspension bike around $1200 240lb

Ok I moved to the Northwest because of its incredible trails and mild (rainy weather). Then as life happens I got married and gained about 50 pounds. I have a HT but think that getting in shape with that bike will give me incredible pain. I am now looking for a Full Suspension XC bike for around $1200 (hopefully sale priced at that level). Ive looked at the Trek EX7 and the Fisher Cake 3 Disc. but would love to hear of what else is out there for this kind of dough. Any help would be wonderful. I cant wait to jump back into the saddle.

Humpmaster general
    Quote Originally Posted by jnstrom
    Ok I moved to the Northwest because of its incredible trails and mild (rainy weather). Then as life happens I got married and gained about 50 pounds. I have a HT but think that getting in shape with that bike will give me incredible pain. I am now looking for a Full Suspension XC bike for around $1200 (hopefully sale priced at that level). Ive looked at the Trek EX7 and the Fisher Cake 3 Disc. but would love to hear of what else is out there for this kind of dough. Any help would be wonderful. I cant wait to jump back into the saddle.
    I like this one. A little over your price range thought.

http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/cat...t.A/id.6863/.f
    your moma's so ugly, one time she looked out of the window and got arrested for mooning

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    IMHO one of the best options around is on ebay. if you know what you want and what to look for (both in a bike and from ebay), you cant beat the kind of deals you can get there.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by novarider
    IMHO one of the best options around is on ebay. if you know what you want and what to look for (both in a bike and from ebay), you cant beat the kind of deals you can get there.
    I agree to an extent, but I'm so wary of Ebay after hearing all these horror stories that I wouldn't want to buy a more expensive bike through them. Don't get me wrong, I think most people are just trying to sell the bike that has been "cluttering" up their garage for the last couple of years. I have bought such a bike before, but it was only $200. If I had gotten scammed, then at least I wouldn't have lost that much.

What about the classifieds right here? You can find a lot better bikes. You know that most of them are just normal Joes like you and me. Heck, I saw an older Bullit for $300. That would be the absolute best bike a clyde could buy, and, since you know that they can take a bashing, buying one used is still relatively safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I recenlty got an Ibex Apogee LX, www.ibexbikes.com and it seems to be a great bike so far. I had about the same budget as you and ended up getting my bike for $999 as a clearance 05 model. It has great components for the price (up with $1500 bikes for components) and the frame seems solid so far though I haven't done much riding yet. But it does have a lifetime frame waranty. The 06 model is going for 1300 and has slightly better specs than mine, but there is a sport version for 900. I also liked the look of the Fuel EX 7 but it seemed overpriced, though I don't know what they go for on clearance. Not sure if many clydes are riding the Fisher bikes, and I think I've heard of some frame problems with them.

Happy riding,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    thats why i said you have to know how to use ebay as well. such as buying from verified paypal sellers owners (which most legitimate sellers are). also if you havent looked lately, ebay has very high end bikes (santa cruz, kona, canndondale, trek and specialized, IF, litespeed, titus, moots, gary fishers, jamis, etc.). and IMHO, id be more wary of the classifieds, than a paypal verified seller on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyechka
    I agree to an extent, but I'm so wary of Ebay after hearing all these horror stories that I wouldn't want to buy a more expensive bike through them. Don't get me wrong, I think most people are just trying to sell the bike that has been "cluttering" up their garage for the last couple of years. I have bought such a bike before, but it was only $200. If I had gotten scammed, then at least I wouldn't have lost that much.

What about the classifieds right here? You can find a lot better bikes. You know that most of them are just normal Joes like you and me. Heck, I saw an older Bullit for $300. That would be the absolute best bike a clyde could buy, and, since you know that they can take a bashing, buying one used is still relatively safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Kona Dawg maybe?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    are you form canada.... if so..... if u can afford look at the devinci remix one..... if thats to much look at the chilipepper.... chilipepper is in your price range.. in american dollars.... or maybe on sale durin january sales

dont overlook this great company

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Jamis Dakar xlt

$1200 gets you fox front and rear (float r rear) vanilla 130 r front. (maybe rl?)

great parts spec, and people over on the Jamis board claim to be riding them @ 250#

I picked up a frame only ($439!)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t+Bike+05.aspx
    Last edited by mp29k; 03-07-2006 at 05:26 AM. Reason: forgot the site where I bought it

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 255 lbs and have been riding the Jamis Dakar XLT for eight months and so far, I've had no real problems, just tighten a bolt here, true a wheel there....

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

What is the difference between the Comp and the XLT

Jenson does not tell me the specs on these bikes.

Freshly Fujified

Get them from Jamis

Jenson does not tell me the specs on these bikes.
    A quick Google search will get you to the Jamis web site. The specs will be there.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT specs are not on the Jamis website. The 2006 Xlt's start with XLT 1.0 and have a link for the 2005 spec's, and there is no place to click on a XLT to look at last years spec's since there is no place to click on an XLT period.

here are some of the spec's:

fork-Fox Vanilla 130R
    rear shock-Fox Float R
    brakes- Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic
    shifters-SRAM X-7
    f der-SRAM X-gen
    r der-SRAM X-7
    crankset-Truvativ Hussfelt
    wheels- Shimano hubs & WTB Speed Disc Rims
    tires-Hutchison Spider 2.3"
    others are misc Truvativ & WTB components (nothing off brand or propietary(sp?))

The XC comp, on the other hand, does have it's info on the website, but if you're a big guy you should probably stick to the longer travel, burlier XLT. It's meant to take much more abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Hope Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haggard
    The 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT specs are not on the Jamis website. The 2006 Xlt's start with XLT 1.0 and have a link for the 2005 spec's, and there is no place to click on a XLT to look at last years spec's since there is no place to click on an XLT period.

here are some of the spec's:

fork-Fox Vanilla 130R
    rear shock-Fox Float R
    brakes- Hayes HFX-9 Hydraulic
    shifters-SRAM X-7
    f der-SRAM X-gen
    r der-SRAM X-7
    crankset-Truvativ Hussfelt
    wheels- Shimano hubs & WTB Speed Disc Rims
    tires-Hutchison Spider 2.3"
    others are misc Truvativ & WTB components (nothing off brand or propietary(sp?))

The XC comp, on the other hand, does have it's info on the website, but if you're a big guy you should probably stick to the longer travel, burlier XLT. It's meant to take much more abuse.

Thanks for the info!!! Im know really up in the air. I can get the Leader Frame the IBEX Team Frame (05) just went on sale for 399 or the Jamis XLT. I might buy one of the frames and get my old MT Tam out and build the frame as an incentive to lose weight. Every 5 pounds Ill add a Piece then buy the wheel set last when I hit 215. What do you Clydes think. Im a couch potatoe now and seeing that frame every morning before work or a ride might be my ticket. Of course Ill bring it to a LBS before the maiden ride.
    Thoughts????

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I would never be able to wait.

you must be really disciplined, as soon as I started seeing parts come in, it would start being 5lbs = 2 parts, 3lbs. = 4 parts... etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

... and if we just ... I agree

but Ill still be losing weight. Just dont tell my wife

mtbr member
    May 2005

Hey how about your LBS for a bike?

When shopping for a new bike why not try your local bike shop? I know ebay and the classifieds here are a good places to buy bikes, but give the guys who support the trails and the town where you live. You should be able to find a few good shops in your area that have good bikes in stock to try before you buy. Also the probablility of the bike from the bike shop not being stolen is not as high as say from ebay. Good luck in your search.
    If you are fluid rider any of the bikes mentioned will be fine except those Ibex bikes, what the heck is the deal with those things? Check the Haro line if you can, their bikes are bombproof and are a great value.

mtbr member
    Im gonna agree with the LBS too, at least check. Mine just picked up KHS, and was getting some of the clearance deals from them, had the Jamis XLT at about 300 off list, or xlt1.0 at 1200. They may still be able to get you a deal.

Good luck

Matt

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by nitrochris
    I recenlty got an Ibex Apogee LX, www.ibexbikes.com and it seems to be a great bike so far. I had about the same budget as you and ended up getting my bike for $999 as a clearance 05 model. It has great components for the price (up with $1500 bikes for components) and the frame seems solid so far though I haven't done much riding yet. But it does have a lifetime frame waranty. The 06 model is going for 1300 and has slightly better specs than mine, but there is a sport version for 900. I also liked the look of the Fuel EX 7 but it seemed overpriced, though I don't know what they go for on clearance. Not sure if many clydes are riding the Fisher bikes, and I think I've heard of some frame problems with them.

Happy riding,
    Chris
    I just bought the Team Frame for $400 Ill let you know how the bike sets up once it is ready!