Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Full face helmet

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  clydecrash 
#1 ·
Im looking for a full face helmet xxl i have a big head. Xl doesnt fit at all barley got it off.

#2 ·
find a motorcross/motorcycle store. A DOT helmet pretty much is a DOT helmet (IMO, if it's worth wearing a full face, it's worth wearing a DOT full face), and they'll likely have a bigger selection to try on than any bike shop.

I found 661 full face helmets fit small; if that's what you've tried, another brand might fit better.

#5 ·
not really. There are DOT-certified bike helmets, which are basically the same thing as motorcross, then there are CPSC bike helmets, which are lighter, but to my knowledge aren't actually tested to verify any additional protection vs a regular, non full-face bike helmet. (they almost certainly do offer additional protection, but who knows how much, really).

Personally if I feel like I need a full-face, I won't wear anything but a DOT.

#6 ·
gp, What do you have or have tried on? That would help folks give you some recommendations.

That said, it is always best to just try on as many as you can, especially in your "unique" situation. Motorcycle parts stores would be good for DOT, as said, but you may not need DOT, which will depend on the type of riding you do with a FF. But, then again, some of those DOT helmets are very light.

Remember, a FF helmet, generally, should be snug. Shouldn't hurt to take it off, but snug for proper protection.

I use a MET Parachute for XC riding (which isn't a true FF, just some added front protection) to a Giro Remedy that I use when I want to be tough (well, tough for me that is). The Remedy is a size medium that fits VERY SNUG. Soon to be getting a Kali Avatar to see how that fits. Giros may not get big enough for you, but there is something out there that will meet your needs and fit well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.