29 some of the time...

Fuel the engine (you gotta eat)

Well, yesterday I had one of those rides...

Right out of the gate it was a sprint. Only I could tell that I wasn't able to really put down the hammer. I kept up alright, but was getting pretty tired by about 2mi into the ride Great. Next comes more sprinting and a bit of DH, but not the kind that gives any rest. Enough to make keeping up and even gapping some of the pack though. Hit the bottom of that section and notice I am breathing harder than I should be. I am drinking water and sweating like a pig. As the trail goes on it is a mix of up and down with increasingly more up. The legs just don't want to put down any power. I am feeling more and more weak.

As the group fades away down the trail I realized that I am about 7-8mi into a 16mi ride. I pulled the plug. I am familiar enough with bonking to know when the conditions are right for an epic failure. So I turn back and hit the connector trail, a straight up the mountain hike a bike. As I hike along I marvel at the fact that I am really feeling it, totally tired and expended.

As I am moving slow I have plenty of time to think. It hits me. I have been abusing myself. I am not on a diet or anything at the moment. But I have been burning the midnight oil and getting by on 5-6hr of sleep. I also have not put any carbs besides beer and soda into my system in about 30 hours. No breakfast, just coffee. I had an early lunch, salad and a piece of pork tenderloin (left overs from dinner). At around 3pm I drank about 1/2 can of soda. No wonder why I am worked over. I forgot to put gas in the tank

There is a lot of talk of weight loss and diets around here. But take it from me, if you want to have a good ride you do actually need to eat something that will fuel your muscles. Hopefully this little ramble will be of use to someone else
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    well said!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    I actually lost 20 pounds last year by increasing my food intake. I have a bad problem with not eating enough and my body is in a constant starvation mode so much of the food I do eat gets stored as fat. When I was eating more I started loosing quit fast. About 20 pounds in a month. It is just hard for me to eat so much and every 4 hours as suggested. I do really need to put out the effort and start doing that again.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    I have the same prob as nubster... i wake up and forget to eat...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Same here, I wake up and am deff not hungry, breaking a 10 year habit of no breakfast is HARD, but I got like a 2 month supply of clif bars, and I eat one every morning as breakfast, and I have not missed a SINGLE day. The taste has gotten boring, and I cant find Maple Nut sold in this area which I'm told is their best flavor, but Chocolate Brownie, Oatmeal Raisin, and Almond Fudge has taken me pretty far thus far.

Best part? .. the bars are NOT diet bars and are NOT small. The fact that they're organic, tasty, and 330 calories is just a cherry ontop.

My next step is trying to do the 6-meals-a-day thing.

I just ate poorly for lunch, a 10 inch chicken finger sub. Good thing I got hella-workout when I get home from work with the hardest spinning instructor at Ballys. Oh the guilt.

I know what you're talking about with fuel. When I get home the workout is before dinner, I chow down a package of cold raspberries for fuel. I believe from fruit its fructose, and I think raspberries are good for you. Both to eat and to give
    Be excellent to each other.

breaks everything.
    Mar 2009
    offtopic a tad, but hell! my experiences with weight loss, seeing it all clearly now, and noticing it's easier to see other's wrongs from the outside.

I used to work in a real estate office with the work-base was split like the red sea. everyone was either over 55, or under 25 (i imagine the higher ups wanted some eye candy, which was just gross, except i was 20 at the time ) this was amid the whole 'which way do you starve yourself?' diet of the the 2005/2006s.

Entirely too many coworkers were under the mentality that with enough dieting, exercise was unnecesarry. "OH NO! I don't eat carbs!" was an all too common response at business luncheons. "I'm sorry I don't eat that after noon." It was entirely too obvious to see that muscle tone was a nonexistent thing at this time, and that all of these girls were upset about "these last ten pounds." yet wouldn't be caught dead on a treadmill. I had one girl even tell me that exercising would cause her to sweat which would lead to acne, and that was simply not acceptable.

It doesn't matter if you're fat, you're thin, toned muscle or entirely knees and elbows head to toe, with laziness and poor diet, your organs will suffer. I was disgusted to find my own mother's atkins diet book explain that headaches from the lack of certain foods within the first few weeks would be 'normal' and would subside in time.

Late night tv ads sell miracles in pill and exercise machine form, and all too many weak minds fall victim. A quick check of old photographs that predate all these trend diets and bs chunks of basement-filling soon-to-be-scrap workout machines, will lend the thought 'fit people existed before this. i can be fit without these things.'

Why does barnes and noble sell trend diet books at triple the rate of 'diet right and exercise' books? because america is not only the laziest country in the world, but also the busiest if that makes sense. In my new company I have entirely too many coworkers who can't 'afford' not to work sun up to sun down, with 'no time for exercise' as they so eloquently put it.

I have time for it, and let's say i spend one hour per day for 365 days exercising, i'm looking at a year every 24. and if in all that exercise i gain one year i gain the ability to ward off infection, heart disease or just plain strengthen my immune system to gain an extra year, then didnt i add more time to spend at the office? with family? at the dinner table fueling myself? at the bike trail?

i have a few extra pounds, but i've trained my mind to understand that they don't matter. i've come down a hundred pounds from 370 to 270. six foot nine inches tall though, so i'm in a pretty fit range at that weight. i live by one motto, that keeps me happy, i havent been really sick in a few years because of it; eat the right foods. eat as much of them as you can, exercise as much as you can.

i found that after a few months of exercising and cutting out the bad stuff, that the bad stuff was way too overpowering. who could have ever wanted soda with this much sugar? a bagel with that much cream cheese and butter? i gave up fried food... entirely. and almost hypnotized myself into hating it. the smell of frying food has nauseated me now if i'm around it long enough.

i'm finding that proteins need no added flavors even in their 'blandest of preparation methods.' mixed vegetables and boiled chicken breast taste AMAZING, now that i'm used to them.

test yourself, plan a meal in the next few weeks consisting of zero added sugars, zero salt, as little grease as you can. the above mentioned meal would work perfect (i eat it at least 6 times a week) if it tastes bland... your tastes are spoiled. like a child given entirely too many luxuries, you cannot live without them. you have too much sugar, too much salt, too much over-bearing taste in your diet. I find the food you eat now disgusting. trying to force myself through a box of french fries from mcdonalds, including the $hitloads of salt they put on them, would make me vomit. ever wonder why they offer salt packets as well? because people asked for them at one point. truly a sign of the disgustingly obese society they are catering to.

did you know that morticians are using less preservatives now to embalm bodies, even though the average body size in america is increasing? the reason is the amount of preservatives in our food. it is quite common knowledge that the devilish aforementioned mcdonalds french fry does not decay. ever find one in your floorboards years later? it could be YEARS old. make a french fry at home with organic potatoes in canola oil, it will go bad. this is preservatives killing you. think of it this way, the more of these preservatives you eat, the closer you are to death, in both cause, and preparation.

I urge you to share this with friends, family, etc. i cite no sources because well, i can't remember them all, though a quick google will nab everything that isn't my personal experience. I love my food, and i'm off work in 17 minutes, to run home and have my dinner, a TON of lean chicken, mixed vegetables, sticky rice, orange juice... it will be EPIC! and believe me, that orange juice is hard to stomach sometimes when you bland down your tastes. stuff is nature's candy

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Just to note that even relatively smart people do stupid things.. yesterday I forgot to eat something before the hard spinning class. I recognized my mistake & regretted it in the first 10 minuets, as the difficulty ramped up and up. The workout level was at the same hard level it normally is, but I was far more seriously dead.

Sure the food is extra calories, but somehow I think theres a formula out there where even though you eat some before a workout, the intensity of your workout can be sustained longer, causing you to lose more calories than you took in to fuel. If that makes any sense?

@ beagley

You are correct, after I gave up sugary pop, I'm unable to pallet it. It tastes extremely, extremely sweet to me. I drink diet, it tastes like normal used to, I'm weaning myself off and trying to move to plain water, as I have been spoiled by tasty stuff.

Food wise though.. I'm sure boiled chicken and veggies taste fine for you, but I know I really dislike the flavor of boiled chicken to begin with, so its not for everyone. Good thing is, I loved baked chicken, and that suits me when I want to eat lean. I like to add different spices and hot sauce

I recognize what you're saying regarding the office.. I'm working in a Commodity & Freight brokerage right now, and they stock up on diet cereal bars with BOXES that they bring in. Theres water bottles everywhere. But you know what else? The owner buys pizza for the company like every friday and theres a fridge on every floor for worker use and the owner keeps each fridge stocked with corn-syrup-infused popsickles. People tried bringing a different cold snack, but the girl with the Skinny Cow brand Fudgesickles got laughed off the trading floor! (sad really) Hypocrites in their work as much as in their diets.. and nobody gets smaller unless they take up something like weight watchers to obsess over their weight as much as their trades & loads. We're privately owned, and there is also a huge gap between the 40 & 50+ crowd and 20ish people here, and yes, the older ones oggle the younger ones all the time. We do feel like eye candy, both the guys and girls, theres a serious cougar population here, but you know what, theyre all nice. I'm 26. I think having us there encourages them to work harder for better physique.
    Be excellent to each other.

29 some of the time...
    Good points on the whole diet topic guys. There are some serious issues with food in America these days. I follow a few blogs of racers and people who are more fit. The thing most have in common is their avoidance of fast food or pre-packaged crap. Natural antioxidants like blue berries are common talk. Organic vegetables and fresh meats are also staple. It is something to aspire to for sure.

I am at a good place in life. Yes, I carry about 20lb more weight than I would like to and 40lb over the BMI standards for my height. Again, I'm not on a diet but I probably should be. I am trying to eat better as opposed to the diet thing. You know the whole less fat, less sugar, less garbage food, and prepare meals from scratch. I catch a bit of flack from the Mrs. when I roll my eyes and turn my nose up at dinner in a can or from the microwave. She has grown up with that kind of cooking (if you can call it that). I grew up around the meat, potatoes, and gravy family. Lots of home cooking, but also lots of fat. Both my parents are around 300lb (granted my dad is 6'5", vs my mom at 5'6"). At any rate, I have no intention of ever going there.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in guys
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.