mtbr member
    Jul 2007

FS worth the extra bucks?

Hello all, love what you've done with the place- especially this forum.

After a 5 year hiatus, I've decided to get back in the sport and get back in shape. Current stats are 6'6" 275#, I'd love to shave 35# within 18mos. Shopping for 40x34 pants is quite a chore. Shopping would be much easer if I slim down to a 38 or 36" waistline. On with the show...

I've been hitting the trails a couple times a week. It feels good to get back out there. I'm concerned that my 21" 2001 Rockhopper comp will soon become hungry for upgrades as I gain riding confidence. I like to ride aggressive, but respectful, when I'm able. I really don't want to upgrade as I break parts- I've been down that road before and wound up with $2k of parts on a $425 bike. I've been searchin' for bike advice and see a lot of suggestions for $3k FS bikes. I was planning on a $2k budget. I know that'll buy a top hard tail, but I gotta ask- is the extra $1k worth stepping up to FS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I found that I broke fewer parts with FS bikes. I had a Kona Dawg and now a Spec SJ FSR. I used to break drive train parts (cassettes, cranks, chains) all the time when I rode a trek hardtail. Since I switched 3 years ago parts have been lasting longer. If you had the $3k budget, I'd recommend a Stumpjumper FSR with a brain, it works well for me (6 foot @ 230 lbs).

Have any other clydes have had luck with FS and fewer broken parts?

Josh

smw
    pedal pusher
    I prefer the Yeti 575. I had a specialized and didnt care for the fit. The Yeti fit me great. Yeah I think the FS is worth the extra money.
    Gears and suspension are for girls and old men. Feel free to quote me in your signature. - Fast Eddy

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    There's nothing wrong with $2K of parts on a $425 bike if the frame fits and does what you want (heck my current ride is a $850CDN bike, Norco sells the same frame for $2kCDN with XT kit and a better fork)

Making fat cool since '71
    I break things *more* often on my FS bike than my rigid/SS. I also do not drop/jum/huck my rigid. There are less things to break off as well of course.

On to the original question: Is it worth it? The only realy answer anyone who does not know you/ride with you can give is maybe. I ride with many folks who firmly believe FS bikes are not "worth it" and will, probably, never own one. Then there are folks like me that like to have one, or two, or...so that they have a bike for "whatever" trail they are riding that day. I firmly belive the point of all of this is to enjoy yourself. Whatever bike/equipment gets you there is "worth it" to me as long as you are not stretching your wallet too thin if you know what I mean. I have fun when I ride my rigid and I have fun when I ride my big bike (FR type bike). I ride *differently* on each bike, of course, even on the same trail.

I do think it's important to do as it seems you have and understand that there is quality of components difference between a $2k hardtail and a $2k fullsquish. It pains me when people ask if they should buy the $1500 xxhardtail or the $1500 xxsquish since they both have the same price and lx rear deraileurs.

Anyway, are they "worth it"? If you are only going to have one bike and you can *afford* it then yes they are worth it in my, never, humble opinion.

Good luck. New bike shopping kicks arse!

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    As a hardtail rider, Id say yes its worth it. Id love a FS bike, but its just not in my budget.

I railed it like Kong
    I've found when it comes to breaking parts it depends how far you go with the bike you have. I have broke my steel hardtail frame. I break parts on my FS Coiler pretty regularly because it's my abuse bike. But my FS trailbike that i am nice to has never had anything break. I think it just depends on how far you push what you've got, the terrain, and your weight combined determining breakage.

I would not own a HT if that was going to be my only bike. The extra $$$ for the FS is worth the money that doesn't go to chiropractors.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the feedback all.

Couple points to expand..

1. This would be a dedicated trail bike. The Rockhopper would be used on the bike paths with the family, pulling my son.

2. Let me clarify my breakage concern. I want to avoid under-buying a bike equipped with components I'll prematurely wear out because they really aren't tailored for my size and style. Breakage due to abuse or bad luck/judgment is acceptable. Riding style varied. But I like fast, tight trails littered with rocks and roots serving as natural jumps.

3. Budget is not the primary concern, but at the same time it's not unlimited. I would probably feel more guilty for dropping $3k on a bike then my wife would be angry. I have a personal 'fun' account that I've been saving for a rainy day. I'd prefer to not empty it on a single purchase.

4. Comfort is very important. I don't know if the 'hopper is too small for me or if the aluminum frame is jarring my bones to the core, but after a 10 mile ride my lower back feels like crap.

5. Performance is important. Getting any climbing advantage would be a bonus.

Anyone care to promote a brand/model I should check out?

Fat guy on a bike
    I think a quality full suspension is worth it. There are some good clyde-worthyish choices out there that I think can fit the bill for around $2500.

Full suspension gives you not just comfort, but confidence and performance in rough downhills. They also aide you in climbing situations where many jagged rocks and rough trail sections hamper a hard tail because they cannot soak up any of the roughness, requiring you to stand and hammer harder, or stop completely. Yes, rider skill can help in that area, but I've experienced the difference. With a good platform shock even single pivots offer excellent climbing performance.

Double-metric mtb man
    I agree with Mordy. I'm a 6' 240-ish lb guy (about your weight ready to ride) and have greatly enjoyed myself since getting my FS machine. In fact, I did a century on it yesterday.

I'd say the most important part is fit...get the bike that fits you. Try a bunch, both HT and FS and see which you like better and what fits best. Next is components. Us bigger guys need stuff made to take a beating. LX or XT on the Shimano side are what I'd recommend or X9 on the SRAM. If you can get it all in one package, get that bike and enjoy it.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, today I took the plunge and got a new bike. I rode a few FS but they didn't do anything to persuade me to buy one. I picked up a 2007 Fisher Paragon on end-of-year closeout- $1400. After riding that thing, I was hooked. It was super comfy, adjusting to the size will be interesting but fun. First 'good' trail ride is Sunday. Can wait to put some miles on this thing and knock a few inches off the waistline.