mtbr member
    Feb 2004

FS suggestions for someone who just isn't satisfied

I've been through a ton of bikes over the years, but I have never investigated FS save for a 2 months with a Ventana (that I endo'ed on!). Also, I've built up various 26 and 29ers. By far I like the 29er ride, but it feels like I am driving a tank. I'm thinking of going back to 26ers, but this time going the FS route. I have some killer arthritius in my lower back, so anything that I can do to help with this would be great.

I'm looking for the best bank for buck - not too interested in spending a ton of money on a frame. Ideally, i'd like to build it up myself using some of the parts I have (although, I'd need fork / wheelset).

Any thoughts?

gravity fighter
    I went from a 29er to a Giant Trance and like it a lot. It was relatively inexpensive for FS and it's much easier on my back and I don't notice much pedal bob. I feel the loss of momentum going back to 26", but I ride for fun and exercise, so a little extra pedaling has been a good trade off for more comfort and sharper handling.

Underskilled
    Niner WFO is very plush (so easy on the back). It is fun to ride and a great climber.
    The only disadvantage is about a 400g weight over the RIP9. Lets face it though, compared to the rider, 400g is nowt.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

ventanakaz

ventana

what ventana frame did you have ? I had 8 diff. frames from ventana one at a time of course. i own the La bruja and had been very happy with ventana's active sus.

Members who have read this thread: 0