mtbr member
    Mar 2006

FS bike for 260lbs, 6'0" clyde...

Hi Guys,

I need a FS bike for all around use. Some weekend trail riding/all mountain and 2-3 times commuting to work every week.

My budget is around $2K for a complete bike, preferably below that number. I dont mind using cheaper buildkits but i want a bike that's tough and one that can grow with me. Hopefully when i'm leaner .... i can do some medium jumps with upgrading to a better buildkit.

My current list of frame is as follows:

-Heckler
    -Preston FR or Dirtbag
    -Versus Blitz (anyone knows where can i order '06 Blitz online? seems no one stock that model yet)
    -Banshee Chaparral
    -Ventana X5 or El-Salt

Off all those bike, i think i'm leaning towards heckler because of the all-around use and the toughness of it. People in this forum said that its good on climbs while still able to handle light free-riding.
    I can get it @ around $1700 or $1800 with D AM kits and rockshox tora 302 fork from one of online retailer.

Because my remote location (from a good source of good bikes) I'm having diffilcuties to test ride bikes.
    I'm visiting NYC this may and the best that i can do is to test ride in the parking lot and thats only with whatever bikes available on the LBS. extended test ride is out of the question.

So, which one better?

Last questions, what's the best rearshock and fork for the frame?
    For rearshock i think i'll use the coil one. What spring rate should i use for the rear shock (600lbs, 800lbs, or more?)?
    and I'm completely blind in deciding what fork to use (there's so many of it!!).

suggestion please. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

anyone??

Update:

I got replies from transition and versus.
    Kyle from transition recommend me using the dirtbag instead. He believe its more suitable to me than the preston fr. CozThe Preston FR really isn't ideal for people over about 210lbs.
    But if i still want to get the preston, i have to upgrade the shock spring to 800lbs romic shock
    (which they're currently out of stock. )

Im just wondering if anyone ever using the fr with 800lbs spring, how's the ride?

from versus, they said that I can order the blitz II directly from them. but i hate paying above or @ msrp, and i still couldn't find any dealer on the net that have blitz II on sale.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Let me put it this way: If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely buy a Heckler. They're simple, tough, can be built up light for clyde XC or built up heavy for light FR. The Banshee is super heavy duty, and it can't really be built up as light. From what I've read of the Transition, it's good, but I still think it's leaning more toward the FR side of the spectrum geometry wise. From what you say you want to do with the bike, the Heckler is the best bet. I'm not sure if you've checked around for prices yet, but I doubt you can find a new one for much less than $2000. You could try one out for size and then try the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Dirtbag will kick your ass on the climbs and epic trail days. The Heckler is a good bike for clydes. The lower leverage shock ratio on the X-5 is better suited for you, but they are not cheap. I am around 30lbs lighter than you, so it is hard to say how well these bikes will work for a 260lb dude.

I weigh between 210-220lbs(230lbs+ with all my gear) and I have owned a Preston and a Heckler. I had a lightish 650-700lb spring on my Preston. The Preston is a good bike, but is geared towards the freeride side of things.

I am currently riding a Turner Six Pack and it is a great clyde bike that can climb and be hucked. I have a 750lb spring on right now and it gives a good ride. There are quite a few good deals floating around for brand new and minty used Packs right now. With that said, I miss the lower bb height of the Heckler and Preston. I got a good deal on my Pack, so I went for it. No regrets so far, other than it feels a lot taller than what I am used to.

I feel the X-5 might be in my future and I would own another Heckler again.

it tied the room together
    At your size and price point you have three choices:
    1. Heckler
    2. Heckler
    3. Heckler

Push your budget if you can as it will be cheaper in the long run.

I'm 6'4 @ 265 and here's mine:

Love this bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No question....Heckler with a coil shock. I'm running the Fox DHX 5 with 500lb spring. It's been just right for me. I'm the same size as you and I've given mine a beating. The poor thing just keeps on taking it. To help keep costs down, take a look at Sun Singletrack wheels. They are pretty much bomb proof. I got them from Jenson for under $150. Being machine built, they eventual had issues staying true so I got them rebuilt by hand a while back after I threw a chain into the spokes which eventually led to some spoke breaks. These wheels are a bit heavy (they are a freeride wheel) but they are heavy duty and a good price.

mtbr member
    I agree with the Heckler recommendation.
    If I snap my Slayer, I see a Heckler in my future.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

The Mountain Bike Life
    I run a dirtbag and LOVE it, yes it not the best up the hills...but its better than most think. I am 270 and lean towards am/light freeride. The service at Transition from my experience is unmatched...they really seem to care about their customers.

I find it a little heavy (but my bike is lite compared to some of my riding buddies), but I find confidence in knowing it wont snap under me...its worth a little weight. I love my Romic shock as well....you will find mixed reviews for it...some have great experience some do not.

I don't understand the really big buys out there who buy the light XC stuff...just not worth it for me...I have broken a few frames and would rather ride something I have total confidence in my bike (my skills on the other hand...sometimes not so confident...lol).

The Heckler is one of my favourite bikes too....can't go wrong buying that. This bike was also very high on my list of bikes...they were more expensive when I bought...or I would probably have one. Make sure to buy the anodized frame as the powder coat that they use is crap.

A few pointers...
    Just make sure you get a coilover shock, 220 is about the max for air shocks as well email the frame maker and the shock manufacturer to get the proper springrate, it will make a huge difference. If you are undersprung you have a better change and breaking your bike.( I broke 2 FSR enduros becuase of this).

Spend money on a good hub...I eat XT and some other designs out there in between 5-10 rides...sometimes less. Hadley or King if you can swing it. (there are deals to be had...just gotta keep your eyes open...and make good friends with your local shop). Front hub does not matter nearly as much as rear...so just get a good rear if your strapped (its what I did).

I think that the 31.8 bars and such are great for bigger guys...less flex and all that jazz.

Anyway...good luck on your purchase man....
    Last edited by mudpuppy; 04-26-2006 at 03:16 PM.

The Mountain Bike Life
    This is my 04 dirtbag....I now run Avid Juicy 5's with 8" rotors, and new TBC pedals...the only change I want to make now is the forks...hopefully lighten up the front end a bit...but these are amazing, Jr. T's with the HSCV valving...love them. I also keep the bike in 5" mode for most riding, I find it pedals better and I really don't need more travel. The new dirtbags are 6" in short travel mode I believe.