mtbr member
    Jun 2009

FS Am Bike for tall riders

Hi all,

I'm a 6'5" 230lb rider who's looking for a reasonably longish travel trail bike to take all over the world with me.

I'm looking at a few different models and just wanted to get some imput from similar sized guys.

I'm basically sold on the Santa Cruz Nomad or Blur LT, but like the idea of 29ers - seems to make sense for big bikes. You know what I mean... that clown like feeling when you're sitting so high above the rear wheel on a 26"...

Anyway, of the 29ers, I like the look of the Niner W.F.O. and the Turner Sultan, or even hold out for the Santa Cruz 29er rumoured to be in the works for later this year. Does anyone have any experience on these bikes? Or... better yet, anyone who's ridden the Santa Cruz's AND these?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Hi Journey Man,

For me it would be, being honest with yourself about what type of riding you will be doing and the length of the rides. I'm 6ft 6in and 220-230lbs with riding gear and I have an xl 06 nomad, xl 08 tranceX and a 29er hardtail.

If you will be doing alot of big mountain riding with aggresive trails I don't think there is the choice in 29ers more in the fork deparment than anything else. Fox if your listening please make a 29er 36 talas!!! Even if the 29er bike/equipment was about in 6in plus travel I would have to try one out as i'm not too sure how well they would work in the rougher stuff.

The nomad is an amazing bike for bike mountains, it flies downhill. The only thing I find is that because it is so quick you can get yourself into alot of trouble very quickly (broken collar bone and 2 operations later!). This means for me big aggressive tubeless tyres, strong wheels and big brakes. I have tried lighter wheels and tyres but I just destroy them. The down side of that is it makes them hard to pedal and I can only do a maximum of a four hour ride before i'm completly wiped out. The other thing is fit, it is too small really as I have a thomson 410mm seatpost at maximum setting and 30mm of washers, 25deg stem and a high rise bar to get the handlebars up to a reasonable height. I originally ran an air fork/shock set up but switched to coil which was alot better. I think the later nomad's have had a lot of work done to make them work better with air shocks. You'll be able to find more about that on the santa cruz forum.

The 29er hardtail is my first 29er and the minute I got on it, it felt right. At last a bike that fits! I haven't ridden any full sus 29ers but if I had the money to replace the trance it would be a 29er. Something like the turner sultan or the mach 429 with a 120mm fork.

Try and test ride as many as you can, which might be difficult here in the uk. I test rode my nomad at afan as at the time they were the only people in the uk to have a large which I just fitted on, but it gave me a general idea. If your going up to the lakes at anytime you could try giving wheelbase a ring as I know they have a customer who has bought an xxl turner 5 spot and they have alot of open days which was ment to include a sultan.

Good luck with it all, at our height test riding is a pain. Wish I could come with you when your off riding in different parts of the world, need anyone to carry your bags!

29 some of the time...
    At 6'5" SC bikes are really a stretch. I have know people who are taller that ride them, they do adapt. But several have gone on to ride bigger frames and in retrospect kick themselves for the time spent on the too small frame.

Specialized and Turner both make appropriate XL long travel bikes (25in+ top tube lengths). You can go 29er, but that opens a whole other can of worms. IME long travel and 29er aren't the best fit. I rode a heavy duty turner sultan for a year and would not do it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys, thanks for the feedback.

volition72 - yeah, the test ride is going to be a bit tricky, although I do get up to Wheelbase now and again, so we'll see... the 29er option I think is for me as I don't think I'll be blasting a Nomad to it's full potential by the sounds of things. I'll be waiting for more reviews of the Niner WFO when it surfaces...

Unfortunately all I need at the moment is a dedicated refueler...! Cheers bud

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think the Turner RFX comes in xxl and it has 6.3 inches of travel. Expensive but you get what you pay for.

Snapper
    +1 for the RFX with good wheels and fork. Can get it around 32lbs XXL with sensible build. Check out CC closeout sale for 1100 dollar XXL RFX frame.

Get a 29er hardtail for xc and the RFX for longer rides and fooling around. The WFO will be around the 32lbs mark and not as capable as the RFX. (sure there are exceptions out there)
    JD

ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 6'4" and had an XL Blur with way too much saddle drop. Now on a Sultan and super happy because it doesn't feel like I'm riding my nephew's bike. Would definitely suggest at least demo-ing some 29er dualies so you can make an honest assessment (Comp. Cyclist has a demo fleet that you can ship and deduct from the purchase price). You will need good wheels (maybe pimp it with EDGE wheels?).

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Regarding the tall Turner bikes... I am 6'-6" and ride an XXL 5-spot and an XL Highline. The XXL 5-spot or RFX would be too big for a 6'-5" rider, in my opinion. an XL RFX would be a great choice, if you can find one. Don't believe any of the "32 lb. build" stories for a bike that big, especially since it is NOT a light weight XC bike. Santa Cruz bikes are too small for me and they will not warranty bikes for riders over 6'-3", per customer service. The Highline is the best option if you want to go big, but they are sold out, so you would have to search for a used one. Expect weight to be in the 40-42+ lb. range- which makes it expensive to fly with.