mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Frustrated...need some help from other big guys

I am 6ft and weigh around 265. I have been having a lot of trouble lately popping my chain in the front when riding.(usually from the 2nd gear down to 1 or off completely) It usually happens when I am standing and pedaling up a steep hill or when I drive to make it across a long log pile. Now I have made a lot of upgrades to my bike because of my size but the crank and rings are not one of them as I figured I would wear them out first. Any suggestions as to what I can do or what may be the problem. The chain is pretty new so it shouldn't be stretched out yet. I have had the bike for over 2 years and have put a good amount of miles on it.
    Last edited by LDSumpter17; 05-11-2009 at 01:31 PM.

29 some of the time...
    2yr old cogs + new chain + clyde on the gas = skipping

You are going to have to replace the drivetrain. I get about 6mo out of a chain and 1.5-2 years out of my cogs/chainrings. Thems the breaks, gotta replace wear items when worn. Sometimes you can get lucky and the chain will stretch enough to mesh to the worn teeth, giving you another 4-6 months. If you can handle the popping for a while, give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I second that. I'm 6'4" 325 lbs and I just bought a new chain and found out that my geartrain was worn. Skipped like crazy with the new chain. Went back to old and rode for a while and now have bruised shin and buggered knee from it skipping while climbing a steep incline. I ponied up and bought a new race face ride DH crankset and new chain and casette. My old chain and sprockets only lasted me a year, they were cheap stock Giant Yukon stuff though. I think I will replace my chain every 6 months now. Cheap insurance.