mtbr member
    May 2011

FRUSTRATED... Looking for new rear wheel

Finally flipped the triple digit odo mark on my new Trek FX 7.2 riding 7.5 miles each way to work. Yesterday about 2 mins from reaching home, my rear wheel started to wobble.

I absolutely love commuting to work and am excited about finally finding some cardio I can enjoy.

If anyone here can please give me a recco on a new rear wheel, I would greatly appreciate it.

After a major back surgery and a couple of dirty car accidents I am currently ~360 lbs at 6' 1".

I have rear panniers on the bike to allow me the freedom of not having a backpack on while I ride.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    How bad is the wobble. Sometimes you can true the wheel and get it straight. Just tighten the spoke on the side you want to pull the rim. Sort of over-simplified on the process, but you might not need a new wheel. A good FreeRide wheel / rim will be stronger and less likely to come out of true. Might want to true it for now, and find a new one on craigslist, or a deal online. Either way, get it fixed and keep on truckin'.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wobble was pretty bad, noticed at the top of a hill while riding down, seemed to get worse as I got closer to home. I am taking to LBS today, but want to be sure I am informed; as a clydesdale it seems that the more informed I am, the better off my results while shopping will be.

I plan on having them true, but want to be sure this doesn't happen again, as my commuter is my one and only ride to work. My wife got in an auto accident recently and I donated my truck to her commute to ensure that my butt gets in the saddle every day going forward...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Have you had it trued up recently by the bike shop? There's a breakin on new wheels and you should expect to have them tightened a time or 2. Also, I like my spokes a little tighter than what they normally torque them, or at least that's the case at my local shop. The extra weight causes the wheels to flex a little more if the wheels aren't tight.

Former Bike Wrench
    Stout, strong, and durable handbuilt wheel

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3656

Back of the pack doping.
    Check to see that its not the hub being loose as well. For a while I thought my rear hub was shot, on one of my bikes, just turned out that the nut that holds the hub together had somehow gotten loose. I tightened it up and haven't had an issue since.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    LBS will try to true it up, there were quite a few loose spokes (ugh); looks like I need to brush up on my bike maintenance.

Hopefully I will be back on the road for Monday commute.

Thanks for all the tips and esp. the sourcing for a hd wheel on the back end. I think I am going to move to replacement regardless of the truing based on my current weight and how critical it is to have my bike in working condition. Any suggestions on whether this is a good or bad idea?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Daveofca,

I am a little smaller than you, not much though. I am having Mike @ lacemine29.com build my new wheels. I emailed him and gave him the model of bike, fork, my height/weight and asked his recommendation. I am not planning on doing big jumps or getting silly on my bike, I just want some great wheels that will last. Period. I ended up going with DT Swiss FR600 wheels, DT Swiss spokes/nipples, and Chris King ISO disc hubs. I only wanted to buy the wheelset once, so i don't mind paying a little more to know that it will last me a long time. Mike is waiting on CK to send the hubs to him, I wanted Mango(Orange) for my new bike and there was a bit of a waiting period to get them. I am hoping to get them by the end of the month. With the excellent communication that I have got from Mike, I would recommend him. He also goes by mikesee here on MTBR. Hopefully this helps a little.

Jon

mtbr member
    If you have the cash...there is no better person to get wheels from than Mike. He did my wheel set and they have been bombproof thus far.

http://lacemine29.com/

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    when I built the new rear wheel for my GT I wanted indestructible sooooo..... I decided I would go with a rhynolite rim, dt spoke, I managed to get ahold of some old DT down hill spokes (the burly flat black monsters that even back in the day were 5 bucks a piece!) I came across 8 of em at my buddies shop he did'nt even know he had any of em! and it was all he had left... they werent even in a box! just kinda sittin there.... so I used those as well as 24 DT champion 14 gague and built a hub from a lx M565 shell( shimanos toughest shell) m525 axel and hub body( there toughest axels and hub body ) and XT cones and and bearing surfaces ,LX seals..... and YEOZA one tough mother of a wheel I jump anything! and can kill any wheel made..... except this gnarly motha!!!! and it has a rather cool look with the 8 flat black beefy spokes evenly spaced ammong the plain stainless ones..... light and tough without the weight of using all heavy as lead dh spokes and did'nt cost a bloody fortune to build.... not to mention I have the distinction of havin the only one like it!

turtles make me hot
    Salsa Semi on a DT 240 or Hadley hub. I'm riding one with 32 spokes for two months now and every time I put it on the truing stand, it's still arrow straight.
    I like turtles

lurker
    Aug 2010
    any opinions about roval traverse al wheels.down about 40 pounds.on my 2010 hardrock sport disc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Stout, strong, and durable handbuilt wheel

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=3656
    So Universal Cycles wheelbuild service, any other opinions? They tend to be built up pretty solid?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sun Singletrack rims with heavy spokes have worked very well for me. Have been running the same set for over four years now. Only had to get them trued once.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Another happy lacemine29.com customer here, and have his wheels on two of my bikes. 6'7", 240 lbs, and not exactly gentle on anything I use, and they've held up great.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon View Post
    So Universal Cycles wheelbuild service, any other opinions? They tend to be built up pretty solid?
    i've had one wheel built by them and it has been fine over 3 yrs of about 25% usage (back-up wheel) - but that has included some serious all-mountain style epic rides and some DH usage (it is a shimano slx 655 rear hub with mavic 721 rim, 36 spoke).