Shaq Fu

Front & Rear shock clydesdale compliant?

Earlier this month I ordered an '09 Jamis XCT-1. It should be arriving in about 4-6 weeks. I considered buying the XCT-2 which had some upgraded components, but passed. I did not like the color or direction of the parts upgrade. So instead I chose to go with the lower end model and just upgrade as needed.

My concern is with the suspension fork and rear shock. It comes with a Rock Shox Bar 2.1 for the rear and a Rock Shox Tora 302 Solo Air, air spring, external rebound damping adjustor, TurnKey lockout, 32mm stanchions, & 130mm travel.

I know these are not high end parts. But what I was looking for was feedback as to how suitable they would be for a rider in the 225lb range.

If you have any suggestions to upgrade to which may be more suitable for my needs, I'm all ears. Please provide links if you can.

Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    The Tora will be fine, the SoloAir spring is very reliable and works quite well for riders weighing much more than you. I'm about 220lbs and use 175psi in mine in the 80mm setting. You use less in the longer travel settings.

I have no experience with the Bar rear shock so I will pass on making any judgments on that

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    don't know on the shock... but for the fork... I run a tora 318 soloair (29er fork)... it's a heavy beast... but i've got 75 pounds on ya... and it does me just fine... i've yet to bottom it out... and the air shock bit makes it easy to adjust... from reading it sounds like it's stiffer then the reba which is nice...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    the bar is based on the old school SID rear shock. i had one on a previous bike and loved it at hte time i weighed about 240 lbs w/o gear and it never made a peep about my weight. the bar is actually a pretty good rear shock

Former Bike Wrench
    Well, if its anything like the SID rear shock then it will be great...I had a couple SID rear shocks and to me they were far superior to any Fox I ever had. Too bad the Bar lacks the negative spring air adjustment...that was my favorite feature on the SID