Rod
    Endorphin Junkie

Good job! Friend looking to get into biking - help needed

I've been in this sport for a few years now and I'm seeking your advice on how to guide a friend that wants to lose weight.

Stats: 5'10
    Weight: 320 lbs

He doesn't have a very big budget so I'm going to look on craigslist. Less than 200 dollars. What type of wheelset should I be looking for? I'm definitely going to look for wheels with 32 spokes mounted to some wider tires. He wants to start riding to work and then move onto the trails.

What do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    If you can get him on 36 spokes instead that would be even better. It might be heavier, but at 320pnds, that's not much of an issue.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

Underskilled
    Not a realistic budget for the requirements, sorry.

As you are keeping the costs down, try and find an old DH bike.

They are built for abuse, so should be fine with your friend. The lack of pedal efficiency is the trade off.
    Strength is more important than efficiency though. The last thing you want to do is get something that breaks, costs your friend $200, and makes you look bad.

It's like asking for a car with $500 budget. You can get a car, but you won't have any choice and it'll have problems, big problems.

The kona hoss was a good clyde bike, look hard you might get one.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    What would you guys consider a realistic budget with his weight to get him riding the streets and some trails later. I have an older bike outside that's heavy and strong. I may try to get him on that while he saves for a "real" bike. I was hoping a Trek 4300 or Giant Yukon would be able to support his weight while he rode on the road to get his weight down.

Any suggestions are helpful.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.